Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Jan '16 09:40
    Benghazi: 4 dead - 7 Congressional investigations

Flint, MI: 10 dead - 0 Congressional investigations

Ah Politics...ain't it grand?
  2. 28 Jan '16 09:41
    Originally posted by bill718

and refresh whodey's memory, what did those 7 congressional investigations find?
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Jan '16 09:42
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    and refresh whodey's memory, what did those 7 congressional investigations find?
    Zahlanzi - Normally I would, but Whodey has a very convenient memory. He only remembers what's convenient.
  4. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    28 Jan '16 09:53

Yeah, Flint, MI is what happens when you try to run government like a business.

The governor was trying to break up two of the water companies into private corporations, thereby "privatizing" them. This never turns out well for the employees or the public.
  5. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    28 Jan '16 09:57 / 1 edit
    The governor was trying to break up two of the water companies into private corporations, thereby "privatizing" them. This never turns out well for the employees or the public.

This is very true. Sadly, the GOP thinks privatization and deregulation is the key to running things more efficiently. Republicans are not supporters of government oversight.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Jan '16 13:41

Hurricane Sandy: 117 deaths. No federal investigations.
  7. 28 Jan '16 20:24

I've said many times that all the GOP is sling poo.

They have no interest in reducing corruption because they are corrupt.

All this does is prove my point. No one gives a damn about the people. All that matters is trying to win elections.

Thanks for that. Now back to Bernie Sanders wanting these same clowns to take over pretty much everything left that is private.
  8. 28 Jan '16 21:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76 to Bill718
    And Bill718, a disingenuous shill for the Democratic Party, has disregarded some context.
    As I understand it, Congress tends to investigate actions by the federal government more
    than those by state governments. The events in Benghazi, Libya had clear federal involvement,
    whereas what happened in Flint, Michigan was (as far as I know) a matter for local governments.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Jan '16 21:14
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    And Bill718, a disingenuous shill for the Democratic Party, has disregarded some context.
    As I understand it, Congress tends to investigate actions by the federal government more
    than those by state governments. The events in Benghazi, Libya had clear federal involvement,
    whereas what happened in Flint, Michigan was (as far as I know) a matter for local governments.
    Michigan's Governor has requested Federal aid to deal with the water crisis in Flint that his State administration is responsible for.http://www.wxyz.com/news/governor-rick-snyder-asks-president-obama-for-federal-aid-in-flint-water-crisis

I would presume that is sufficient to bring it within the purview of Congress should they wish to investigate the matter.
  10. 28 Jan '16 21:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Michigan's Governor has requested Federal aid to deal with the water crisis in Flint that his State administration is responsible for.http://www.wxyz.com/news/governor-rick-snyder-asks-president-obama-for-federal-aid-in-flint-water-crisis

I would presume that is sufficient to bring it within the purview of Congress should they wish to investigate the matter.
    Thanks for the information. I have not been closely following the situation in Flint, Michigan.

I would add that Bill718 also has disingenuously ignored the scale of time in complaining
    that what happened (years ago) in Benghazi, Libya has had seven investigations by
    Congress while what happened in Flint, Michigan has not had any investigations.
    The Flint, Michigan story is much more recent. I doubt that Congress, even if so inclined,
    would have had enough time to mount seven investigations about it already.

My general point is that Bill718, a self-styled 'liberal' American (who still has complained
    of being terribly oppressed for only being a white man in the USA), has shown he's as
    dishonest as some right-wing Americans here in ignoring and distorting context.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Jan '16 21:24
    Originally posted by sh76
    That doesn't seem to be true:

https://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2014/four-arrested-in-fema-fraud-scheme

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/13/chris-christie-investigation_n_4588132.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/senators-fema-has-questions-to-answer-on-superstorm-sandy-claims/
  12. 28 Jan '16 21:39
    The honest truth is, those poor Black people in Flint no one gives a damn about. After all, nothing will change how they vote. They will keep voting Dim regardless.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    28 Jan '16 21:52
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That doesn't seem to be true:

https://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2014/four-arrested-in-fema-fraud-scheme

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/13/chris-christie-investigation_n_4588132.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/senators-fema-has-questions-to-answer-on-superstorm-sandy-claims/
    You got me.

The point was that number of deaths is a terrible indicator as to whether Congress ought to investigate something. People die in lightning strikes or of fallen 2x4's or of heart attacks. That's not the same thing as when our embassy gets sacked by terrorists and may have suffered from lack of preparedness or poor intervention.

Anyway, the Flint scandal is yet young.I wouldn't be shocked to see more of a federal uproar about it in the future.
  14. 28 Jan '16 21:54
    You got me.

The point was that number of deaths is a terrible indicator as to whether Congress ought to investigate something. People die in lightning strikes or of fallen 2x4's or of heart attacks. That's not the same thing as when our embassy gets sacked by terrorists and may have suffered from lack of preparedness or poor intervention.

Anyway, the Flin ...[text shortened]... andal is yet young.I wouldn't be shocked to see more of a federal uproar about it in the future.
    Government has no interest in reform. All it wants is to take on more and more and more.

Those who fall by the wayside are of no consequence, which makes government continued expansion that much more frightening.
  15. 28 Jan '16 22:05
    You got me.

Anyway, the Flin ...[text shortened]... andal is yet young.I wouldn't be shocked to see more of a federal uproar about it in the future.
    Yeh, we'll hear more about it, and the likelihood is that billions of federal dollars will disappear down a rabbit hole trying to fix it.

Most of the problem in Flint is an aging housing stock with almost all lead pipes. There are federal programs for home improvements. How many Flint residents have used those programs to replace their lead water pipes with PVC-C or copper? Some may have a new garage, driveway, or barbecue, Now all of a sudden, the taxpayers in communities that don't have that problem are being asked to foot the bill. Pulleeze!