Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Jan '10 14:48 / 1 edit
    have you guys ever discussed this, 'independent, not for profit', entity? i recently watched a documentary which featured this ,'independent, not for profit', entity, which was rather quite disturbing. it seems that it may be a taboo subject for our American friends, i wonder why? Obama was there.
  2. 12 Jan '10 15:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    have you guys ever discussed this, 'independent, not for profit', entity? i recently watched a documentary which featured this ,'independent, not for profit', entity, which was rather quite disturbing. it seems that it may be a taboo subject for our American friends, i wonder why? Obama was there.
    I'm sure it would have gotten a lot more attention if they had named the organization PECAN or PINECONE
  3. 12 Jan '10 15:52 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I'm sure it would have gotten a lot more attention if they had named the organization PECAN or PINECONE
    it seems that its a fairly taboo subject, or was, a fairly taboo subject.

There were two academics, political scientists, who wrote a couple of articles on the benefits of the relationship or otherwise, yet who seem to have been castigated for doing so. Is the lobby so powerful that it dictates both domestic and foreign policy?

One man made the comment, that yes, you may oppose a certain bill or amendment in the senate against the lobby's interests, but if you do, it shall be noted, and if you try to get support for your constituents on another occasion having done so, you can forget it. it amounts to a subversive Mafia style organisation, in reality, offering favours and financial incentives for support, but getting political sway and allegiance for its cause in return. Its about as far removed from democracy, as i envisioned it, as one can imagine.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Jan '10 15:55
    I'd love to comment, but dude...

I don't have the first clue what you're talking about...

other than that it appears that you might be talking about AIPAC.

Independent? Non-profit? taboo? Disturbing documentary? American Friends? You wonder why what? Obama was where?

huh?
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Jan '10 15:58

There were two academics, political scientists, who wrote a couple of articles on the benefits of the relationship or otherwise, yet who seem to have been castigated for doing so. Is the lobby so powerful that it dictates both domestic and foreign policy?

One man made ...[text shortened]... se in return. Its about as far removed from democracy, as i envisioned it, as one can imagine.
    Oh, Jeez! Not another "Jews control the World" thread?

Where's emlasker?

Is the lobby so powerful that it dictates both domestic and foreign policy?

Yes. AIPAC dictates both domestic and foreign policy. Every policy ever passed or enforced by the US government has been written by AIPAC.

I hope that answers your question.
  6. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Jan '10 16:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'd love to comment, but dude...

I don't have the first clue what you're talking about...

other than that it appears that you might be talking about AIPAC.

Independent? Non-profit? taboo? Disturbing documentary? American Friends? You wonder why what? Obama was where?

huh?
    I thought it was about Alpacas.
  7. 12 Jan '10 16:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Oh, Jeez! Not another "Jews control the World" thread?

Where's emlasker?

[b] Is the lobby so powerful that it dictates both domestic and foreign policy?

Yes. AIPAC dictates both domestic and foreign policy. Every policy ever passed or enforced by the US government has been written by AIPAC.

I hope that answers your question.[/b]
    why are you getting uptight about this, has it touched a nerve, if you do not/cannot discuss it in a rational and objective way, then comment somewhere else, as it stands you have produced many words and said practically nothing. Are you stating that it has no effect on domestic policy? are you stating that it has no effect on American foreign policy? what is it you are saying? it seem that your emotions betray you lack of objectivity, unless of course you are training to be a sensationalistic journalist for a tabloid newspaper, then you may indeed give vent to emotional and caustic diatribe. Or perhaps you would like us to not discuss it, to keep it hush hush, a taboo subject it may indeed appear to be, going by that reaction.
  8. 12 Jan '10 16:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I thought it was about Alpacas.
    perhaps its the lack of use of capital letters that is throwing you people, AIPAC, is that better?
  9. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Jan '10 16:22
    perhaps its the lack of use of capital letters that is throwing you people, AIPAC, is that better?
    I'd rather talk about alpacas. I have a pair of socks made from alpaca wool. They're very nice.
  10. 12 Jan '10 16:27 / 1 edit
    I'd rather talk about alpacas. I have a pair of socks made from alpaca wool. They're very nice.
    i am sure they are, start your own thread. what about the relationship? Are you as an American citizen happy that you contribute to the upkeep of an already rich nation by sending it billions of dollars every year? why is it so strategically important to you? are you allowed to comment? My goodness, i can feel the vibe from here and i am thousands of miles away.
  11. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Jan '10 16:53
    i am sure they are, start your own thread. what about the relationship? Are you as an American citizen happy that you contribute to the upkeep of an already rich nation by sending it billions of dollars every year? why is it so strategically important to you? are you allowed to comment? My goodness, i can feel the vibe from here and i am thousands of miles away.
    I know nothing about AIPAC. This is the first I've heard of it. Wikipedia says it's "an independent, not-for-profit entity, AIPAC is funded entirely through contributions from its members."
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Jan '10 17:01
    why are you getting uptight about this, has it touched a nerve, if you do not/cannot discuss it in a rational and objective way, then comment somewhere else, as it stands you have produced many words and said practically nothing. Are you stating that it has no effect on domestic policy? are you stating that it has no effect on American foreign policy ...[text shortened]... ss it, to keep it hush hush, a taboo subject it may indeed appear to be, going by that reaction.
    You started this thread with an intentionally vague and veiled series of implications regarding AIPAC.

if you do not/cannot discuss it in a rational and objective way, then comment somewhere else

Discuss what? Discuss some vague allegation about the behind the scenes of the secret nefarious workings of the big bad Jewish organization? What is there to discuss? What is your allegation?

as it stands you have produced many words and said practically nothing

Correct. Because there has been nothing to respond to

Are you stating that it has no effect on domestic policy? are you stating that it has no effect on American foreign policy?

Typical misdirection. You asked whether AIPAC is so powerful that it "dictates foreign and domestic policy." Do you realize that there is an enormous, enormous gap between "no effect" and "dictates foreign and domestic policy"? If not, go back to Logic 101. If so, then you already realize why that's a misdirection.

it seem that your emotions betray you lack of objectivity

Objectivity regarding what? That I don't like when people throw out the vague specter of Jewish control of government while avoiding specifics so as to avoid being pinned down on what they're referring to? Damn right, I'm not objective about that. It bothers me.

Or perhaps you would like us to not discuss it, to keep it hush hush, a taboo subject it may indeed appear to be, going by that reaction.

Discuss what? Specifically lay out your allegations and then we'll have what to discuss.
  13. 12 Jan '10 17:54 / 4 edits

One man made se in return. Its about as far removed from democracy, as i envisioned it, as one can imagine.
    What you are describing here applies to almost EVERY lobbying organization. They provide support to the campaigns and legislation of people who support their causes - and they do everything they can to thwart those who don't support these causes. And I suspect that a major reason why Congress never can get anything done is because every time someone proposes anything, some lobbyist group plasters the airwaves with ads warning about Armageddon if said bill ever should pass.

Is there anything about AIPAC that makes them any different?
  14. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    12 Jan '10 17:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Is there anything about AIPAC that makes them any different?
    They support a foreign country?
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Jan '10 18:16
    They support a foreign country?
    New Jersey