Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Oct '13 07:02
    http://phys.org/news/2013-10-adults-score-average-worldwide.html#firstCmt

Just how long does America think it can stay at the top of the heap with results like this?

It seems to me just one more strike against the American way of life.

The present government shutdown, now into week 3, is just one indication of how weak we are now.

My solution to that situation: When government shuts down, you send a million workers home with no paycheck. Just extend that to Congress, stop paying them till they work things out. They would come to an agreement pretty quick I think.
  2. 14 Oct '13 09:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Just how long does America think it can stay at the top of the heap with results like this?

The present government shutdown, now into week 3, is just one indication of how weak we are now.

My solution ...[text shortened]... top paying them till they work things out. They would come to an agreement pretty quick I think.
    its those damn Christians, lets torch the Senate and blame it on them!
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Oct '13 10:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No, I think countries have a go at being top dog, Portugal, France, England, Greece, Rome and the US have all been there. Now it is the turn of the US to follow their down path too. There will be a new order, called China, India and Brazil.

100 years from now we will be required to learn Portuguese, Mandarin and Hindi.
  4. 14 Oct '13 11:26 / 2 edits
    No, I think countries have a go at being top dog, Portugal, France, England, Greece, Rome and the US have all been there. Now it is the turn of the US to follow their down path too. There will be a new order, called China, India and Brazil.

awesome, i can speak Urdu/Hindi by virtue of my wife being a dusky maiden from the Punjab, ill be thinking of you as i reside in my colonial mansion surveying my plantations, India Zindibad! but i have to say this, for a country as powerful as you are, you sure got a lot of hangups.
  5. 14 Oct '13 12:51

My solution ...[text shortened]... top paying them till they work things out. They would come to an agreement pretty quick I think.
    Is it definitely a sign of weakness that the government shutdown? Honestly other than what I read in the newspaper I do not feel a single difference. Perhaps other people have difference experiences, but if I do not really feel any difference can you explain why I should really care whether there is government shutdown?
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Oct '13 13:53
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Is it definitely a sign of weakness that the government shutdown? Honestly other than what I read in the newspaper I do not feel a single difference. Perhaps other people have difference experiences, but if I do not really feel any difference can you explain why I should really care whether there is government shutdown?
    NASA is at a standstill for one. They let go 300,000 at the Pentagon, not working at the pentagon but civilians around the world and a million fed workers are certainly feeling it in the form of no paychecks.

The weird part is they are saving no money, when all those workers get back to work they will be given the back pay they missed.

Right now, for instance, the Statue of Liberty has just reopened due to New York kicking in enough bucks to re-open it. Apparently the S of L was in business because of fed money.
  7. 14 Oct '13 14:06
    NASA is at a standstill for one. They let go 300,000 at the Pentagon, not working at the pentagon but civilians around the world and a million fed workers are certainly feeling it in the form of no paychecks.

The weird part is they are saving no money, when all those workers get back to work they will be given the back pay they missed.

Right now, for ...[text shortened]... cking in enough bucks to re-open it. Apparently the S of L was in business because of fed money.
    Assuming what you are saying is true, I'd love to not work for a few weeks and then get all the money as back pay. Any employer is a joke if it pays people whether or not they work. The government has that luxury because they just jack up taxes to pay for whatever they desire.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    14 Oct '13 16:18

Don't forget Spain
  9. 14 Oct '13 16:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I am tempted to go around the bend where you are so I can just make light of things.
  10. 14 Oct '13 16:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    I am tempted to go around the bend where you are so I can just make light of things.
    haha, when you support a soccer team as bad as Scotland, one learns to walk gently upon the ground!

British India

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_3-23zAWM
  11. 14 Oct '13 16:44
    The leftists have control of the US education system and the results are predictable.
  12. 14 Oct '13 16:52
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The leftists have control of the US education system and the results are predictable.
    "Leftists" in America are generally to the right of conservative parties in mainland Europe on a whole bunch of issues. How come the education system is better in Europe? Maybe you need some real leftists in charge of your education system!
  13. 14 Oct '13 17:14
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    "Leftists" in America are generally to the right of conservative parties in mainland Europe on a whole bunch of issues. How come the education system is better in Europe? Maybe you need some real leftists in charge of your education system!
    If real leftists insist that kids learn before the move on to the next grade, then maybe we do.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    14 Oct '13 17:15
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If real leftists insist that kids learn before the move on to the next grade, then maybe we do.
    Oh yeah we need more illiterate fourteen year olds sitting in class with second graders.
  15. 14 Oct '13 17:18
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Oh yeah we need more illiterate fourteen year olds sitting in class with second graders.
    No, I believe we should have appropriate paths for those who do not learn. They can be taught to do other things and they need to know that there are consequences for neglecting to try to learn.

If they want to stay in general ed, then they need to try and they need to not be disrespectful of the learning atmosphere.