Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 13:16
    http://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-43499045

(American) Gun nuts always rant about having to give up some of their guns for the safety of others. "Why should my guns be taken away, i am a responsible gun nut" they will say. Setting aside the lunacy of that statement, i would like to adress the hypocrisy behind that statement.

The same people that will not give up their murder sticks and refuse to be inconvenienced a little when buying guns are not trying to make children give up their right to privacy and be thoroughly inconvenienced each and every damn day. Florida wants to implement TSA style metal detectors and to have children wear clear backpacks in school. Why should adults have to go through background checks, it's much easier to make children, who can't vote and don't have a voice yet (so they think), go through security checks.
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 13:33
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi

(American) Gun nuts always rant about having to give up some of their guns for the safety of others. "Why should my guns be taken away, i am a responsible gun nut" they will say. Setting aside the lunacy of that statement, i would like to adress the hypocrisy behind that statement.

The same people that will ...[text shortened]... children, who can't vote and don't have a voice yet (so they think), go through security checks.
    Americans have been conditioned to salivate over 2nd Amendment issues.

To quote a world famous philosopher and martyr:
    "Forgive them Father...for they know not...what they do."
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 14:04

The same people that will ...[text shortened]... children, who can't vote and don't have a voice yet (so they think), go through security checks.
    your error is thinking a gun ban will solve the problem
  4. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 14:27
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    That fallacy implies: That nothing should be done.
    Rhetorical reasoning will not save the gun lobby any longer.
    Things are not fine...just the way they are.
  5. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 14:311 edit
    If your constitution is wrong, tear it up and write another one.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 14:571 edit
    an off topic response to an off topic question:
    it will help.

having to wear seat belts saves lives
    airbags save lives
    taking the driving license away from drunk drivers also saves lives.

none of the above completely eliminate car accident casualties. not on their own. not even all combined. yet we still have them and most don't complain that the inconvenience of wearing a seat belt is not worth the safety it provides.
  7. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 14:59
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    If your constitution is wrong, tear it up and write another one.
    Maybe just tear up senseless interpretations?

How about "well regulated" in that constitutions' amendment? For me it would allow:

* mandatory training
    * meaningful background checks (preformed by states if they mistrust federation)
    * madatory renewal of licence with a new background check
    * limiting number of guns
    * outlawing magazines with high capacity
    * many more regulatory items
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 15:04
    on topic:
    we are not talking about whether gun control (gun ban is only ever mentioned in the case of the obvious murder sticks like AR-15's) would help.

we are talking about the hypocrisy in saying that gun control won't help but metal detectors in schools and clear backpacks would. we are talking about the hypocrisy in not thinking twice about taking away students' right to privacy and pile one oppressive rule after another on them while crying bloody murder that an adult has to wait a week before buying a gun.

Not to mention the fact that those students will have to go through that insane security every day while the gun nut would only have to go through the slight inconvenience of waiting for a background check each time he wants to buy one more gun
  9. Subscriberdivegeester
    Leave Means Leave
    Voting not marching!
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 15:06
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    Maybe just tear up senseless interpretations?

How about "well regulated" in that constitutions' amendment? For me it would allow:

* mandatory training
    * meaningful background checks (preformed by states if they mistrust federation)
    * madatory renewal of licence with a new background check
    * limiting number of guns
    * outlawing magazines with high capacity
    * many more regulatory items
    Yes, sounds like steps in the right direction.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 15:53
    Has Zahlanzi said that? Where?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 15:57
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Yes, sounds like steps in the right direction.
    Cambridge Analytica might be able to figure out a way to make America gun-phobic in a generation or two..

Start with the children, led by children?
  12. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 17:411 edit

I agree, but please remember most people in America don't own guns, and many people in America don't march in lockstep with the NRA, so please consider that this is more of an NRA hypocrisy and not an American hypocrisy. 🙂
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 18:21
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    That fallacy implies: That nothing should be done.
    Rhetorical reasoning will not save the gun lobby any longer.
    Things are not fine...just the way they are.
    No one "implied" nothing should be done. I simply stated your favored means will not stop or hinder the problem.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 18:22
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I agree, but please remember most people in America don't own guns, and many people in America don't march in lockstep with the NRA, so please consider that this is more of an NRA hypocrisy and not an American hypocrisy. 🙂
    Good point.
    We (ROtW) do tend to tar you all with the same brush.
    Apologies.
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 18:241 edit
    on topic:
    we are not talking about whether gun control (gun ban is only ever mentioned in the case of the obvious murder sticks like AR-15's) would help.

we are talking about the hypocrisy in saying that gun control won't help but metal detectors in schools and clear backpacks would. we are talking about the hypocrisy in not thinking twice about takin ...[text shortened]... he slight inconvenience of waiting for a background check each time he wants to buy one more gun
    You are the one limiting my statement to one weapon...I said gun ban.