Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1420
    01 Jan '18 05:32
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12477
    01 Jan '18 07:24
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
    How many countries pump as much money into women's sports?

    Most males in the US play football, basketball or baseball.

    What sports do women play?
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81758
    01 Jan '18 13:03
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
    because Americans don't care for soccer?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45692
    01 Jan '18 19:03
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
    Numbers.
    And the fact that men's soccer is a professional game practically everywhere.

    Money works wonders.
  5. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    At the edge
    Joined
    23 Sep '06
    Moves
    18031
    01 Jan '18 20:25
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
    Title IX. Increased funding for women's sports.
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    01 Jan '18 22:15
    Soccer moms
  7. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    01 Jan '18 22:431 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
    Men's football is much more professional than women's football outside the USA.
    The US men face much more competition than the US women do.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    01 Jan '18 22:49
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
    The more lucrative sports like football and basketball siphon off most of the male athletic talent. Professional women's sports aren't as lucrative, so the best soccer players don't have the same incentive to migrate to other sports.
  9. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    01 Jan '18 23:093 edits
    Originally posted by @sh76
    The more lucrative sports like football and basketball siphon off most of the male athletic talent. Professional women's sports aren't as lucrative, so the best soccer players don't have the same incentive to migrate to other sports.
    Soccer can be lucrative for an American star who's ready to play abroad.

    Which NFL or NBA players does Sh76 project as stars in soccer?
    I would submit that most NFL players are heavier and most NBA players
    are taller than most international stars in soccer. Does Sh76 imagine
    that Lionel Messi could have excelled in American football or basketball?
    American coaches would have dismissed him as too small and short (170 cm).
    Exceptional size and height are less important for success in soccer.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    02 Jan '18 00:082 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Soccer can be lucrative for an American star who's ready to play abroad.

    Which NFL or NBA players does Sh76 project as stars in soccer?
    I would submit that most NFL players are heavier and most NBA players
    are taller than most international stars in soccer. Does Sh76 imagine
    that Lionel Messi could have excelled in American football or basketball? ...[text shortened]... small and short (170 cm).
    Exceptional size and height are less important for success in soccer.
    Jose Altuve is a baseball player, but seems smaller than Messi.

    Anyway, even if smaller athletes have trouble making it big in the pros, talented athletes no doubt spend most of their time in high school and college playing the more popular sports and thus are less likely to develop into great soccer players.

    That is not necessarily true for women, where there is less financial incentive to try to make the pros in other sports.
  11. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    02 Jan '18 01:441 edit
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Jose Altuve is a baseball player, but seems smaller than Messi.

    Anyway, even if smaller athletes have trouble making it big in the pros, talented athletes no doubt spend most of their time in high school and college playing the more popular sports and thus are less likely to develop into great soccer players.

    That is not necessarily true for women, where there is less financial incentive to try to make the pros in other sports.
    Sh76's earlier post explicitly cited only football and basketball.
    Of course, I concur that exceptional size and height are less important
    in baseball.

    My point is that sport has become globalized. There's no reason to tell
    a rising American star in soccer: "You should quit soccer and try another
    sport that offers more money in the USA."

    Men tend not to admire women for being exceptionally big or tall, so
    most women's sports tend not to emphasize exceptional size.
  12. Garner, NC
    Joined
    04 Nov '05
    Moves
    27923
    02 Jan '18 02:11
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Sh76's earlier post explicitly cited only football and basketball.
    Of course, I concur that exceptional size and height are less important
    in baseball.

    My point is that sport has become globalized. There's no reason to tell
    a rising American star in soccer: "You should quit soccer and try another
    sport that offers more money in the USA."

    Men te ...[text shortened]... being exceptionally big or tall, so
    most women's sports tend not to emphasize exceptional size.
    I think the point is that the siphoning occurs throughout, long before professional options are even realistically on the table. The best male athletes in middle school, high school, and college are drawn toward baseball, basketball, and/or American football. Whether they're actually thinking of going "pro" or not at that time hardly matters. It is just cooler to be in the more popular sports.

    By the time they reach the age where pro soccer would have been an option, those who could have done well are either pros in other sports, or accountants, or something else. If they don't eat, sleep, and breathe soccer, most of their life, no amount of talent will help them become a pro.
  13. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    02 Jan '18 19:092 edits
    Originally posted by @techsouth
    I think the point is that the siphoning occurs throughout, long before professional options are even realistically on the table. The best male athletes in middle school, high school, and college are drawn toward baseball, basketball, and/or American football. Whether they're actually thinking of going "pro" or not at that time hardly matters. It is jus ...[text shortened]... sleep, and breathe soccer, most of their life, no amount of talent will help them become a pro.
    I think that soccer tends to draw from a different talent pool than football or basketball.
    American athletes who are not big or tall enough for football or basketball may try soccer.,

    "If they don't eat, sleep, and breathe soccer, most of their life..."
    --TechSouth

    In the USA, Latinos (a large minority) tend to follow soccer passionately.

    Now in the USA, it's possible for young Americans to follow (even on television) their
    favorite teams in the English Premier League, for instance, and dream of playing there.
  14. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    767
    05 Jan '18 12:05
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I've never figured out why American women have become a genuine power on the international stage in the last 30 years, while the American men consistently underperform. Any ideas?
    It is not as popular yet. Give it a bit more time, and the men will give up on the football, basketball, and baseball to embrace the more worldly sport of soccer. People take to things such as roundabouts more readilly as time goes as the Americans try to be like the Europeans and the same with the sports. Hell, before you know it we will give up our national sovereignty to some unelected leaders and call it a union or something and be just like them. Yippi skippi
Back to Top