Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 19:03
    @indonesia-phil said
    Especially those with a Neasden postcode. Did you miss the 's' out of maths by mistake, or have you gone all American on us?
    Everything I do is deliberate and well thought through old friend, including voting to leave the EU.
  2. Stargazing
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 20:09
    @shallow-blue said
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves... the polls also predicted Trump would never win, and a Leave result of the referendum was unthinkable. But both those things happened. I'm not saying Farage won't win, but I am saying reyling on the polls isn't wise in the current political climate. Voters these days either lie or don't give an answer to pollsters.
    Fair comment.
  3. Stargazing
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 20:38
    @divegeester said
    Good football matches tonight in the European CL btw.
    The Man City v Spurs game is edge of the seat stuff
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '19 21:121 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Everything I do is deliberate and well thought through old friend, including voting to leave the EU.
    For voting to leave the EU you are forgiven, we may put this down to mere foolhardiness. Missing the 's' off maths is a sterner test of our friendship, and will need a little longer for me to come to terms with.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 06:58
    @shallow-blue said
    Yup. But that's what you have. Suck it up or vote to change that first.
    Yeah read the post though, my point was people who are in a first past the post system should stop talking about the sacredness of the democratic vote because, yeah you guessed it, they don’t live in an actual democracy.
    Sorry for the confusion.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 07:21
    @shallow-blue said
    Not if European citizens get a vote, too. You've had your chance to be sympathetic, and instead you p&@&ed a lot of us off. Time to get out, but properly; or come back cap in hand, and get in properly.
    I talk to quite a few Europeans whilst on this site and haven’t met one who wants us to leave but like me they recognise that we must.
    The only serous anti Brit comments are coming from France (the usual suspect) but they are ‘cap in hand’ to Germany who want the UK to remain, if only to help keep successive French presidents loose spending tendencies in check.
  7. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 08:521 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yeah read the post though, my point was people who are in a first past the post system should stop talking about the sacredness of the democratic vote because, yeah you guessed it, they don’t live in an actual democracy.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    It’s funny how first past the post works fine when it means Labour can steal a couple more seats but it’s satans answer to progress as soon as the Brexit Party arrive and threaten to steal the show.
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 09:30
    @divegeester said
    It’s funny how first past the post works fine when it means Labour can steal a couple more seats but it’s satans answer to progress as soon as the Brexit Party arrive and threaten to steal the show.
    I’d scrap first past the post per direct.

I’ve said that since the 80’s and I’ve never heard a convincing argument to contradict it.
  9. Subscriberbadradger
    Scallywag
    the pie shop
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 09:44
    @divegeester said
    Farage is a £uckwitt, as is the brexit party. a joke.
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 09:59
    @divegeester said
    Again with answers to non existent posts, when did I say that, it don’t matter who wins or loses we have to accept it because we’ve opted for that system, it’s ironic that the mainstay of the anti pr mob was the project fear campaign that threatened us with hung parlement if we chose that option.
    You extreme brexiteers can pretend we voted for a hard Brexit till your blue in the face, but we didn’t, I clearly remember the timeline from when the pig porker went to Brussels and asked for some control of free movement and when he couldn’t get that he held the referendum he’d promised. Nobody mentioned anything about leaving the customs union, that has since become the mantra of the right wing of the Tory party.
    If we left with Mays deal we would have gained much more than the pig porker asked for without decimating our economy and leaving ourselves at the mercy of a trade deal with Trump which will probably involve opening up the NHS to US health insurance companies who have been claiming that the NHS represents state sponsored protectionism for a while now.
    By the way the Brexit party is meaningless and an attempt to hobble the process of negotiating a deal with Europe by sending scumbag clowns to Brussels. Ultimately it suits me cos it brings the class war that bit nearer, give an idiot enough rope and you know what happens next.
  11. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 20:28
    @shavixmir said
    I’d scrap first past the post per direct.

I’ve said that since the 80’s and I’ve never heard a convincing argument to contradict it.
    Seems like no one has been listening to you since the 80s.
  12. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 20:29
    @badradger said
    Farage is a £uckwitt, as is the brexit party. a joke.
    Whereas you on the other hand, are the epitome of credibility.
  13. Stargazing
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 20:32
    @kevcvs57 said
    Again with answers to non existent posts, when did I say that, it don’t matter who wins or loses we have to accept it because we’ve opted for that system, it’s ironic that the mainstay of the anti pr mob was the project fear campaign that threatened us with hung parlement if we chose that option.
    You extreme brexiteers can pretend we voted for a hard Brexit till your blue i ...[text shortened]... s it brings the class war that bit nearer, give an idiot enough rope and you know what happens next.
    You’re slurring; I could get through even your first sentence without your breath melting my skin off.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 21:01
    @divegeester said
    You’re slurring; I could get through even your first sentence without your breath melting my skin off.
    In the middle of the day whilst at work? thanks for the insight into the complete lack of any sense of responsibility, but from a sycophant of a man who drinks ales at any time of the day and waffles on about the grandiose destiny of Little England I suppose it makes a kind of sense.
    Cheers 🍺
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Apr '19 21:57
    @kevcvs57 said
    You extreme brexiteers can pretend we voted for a hard Brexit till your blue in the face, but we didn’t,
    Yes, you did. I quote:

"Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?"

You can't leave the European Union without leaving the European Union, and that's what you voted for. Not "Should the UK hang around like a student expecting his mummy to wash for him?". Not "Should the UK behave like a girlfriend who walks out in a huff but still wants to use your Netflix login?". No, "Should the UK leave the EU?".
    And you voted "yes" to that. It's no good now Regrexiteering and pretending that you voted for something else all along, because that is what was on the ballot paper, nothing else.

Now get out.

I clearly remember the timeline from when the pig porker went to Brussels and asked for some control of free movement and when he couldn’t get that he held the referendum he’d promised. Nobody mentioned anything about leaving the customs union,

Nobody except the ballot paper. You voted to leave the European Union. That means leaving the customs union, as well. You can't have freedom of trade without freedom of movement - the EU doesn't work like that, and you knew this before you voted. Yes, you did know this, because every man jack and his horse in European politics told you so in the months before the referendum.

By the way the Brexit party is meaningless and an attempt to hobble the process of negotiating a deal with Europe by sending scumbag clowns to Brussels.

No, it's not. What it is is a very transparent attempt to kick more s*#t inside the European Parliament, as Farage has done all this time. It will not be taken kindly, and Johnny Englishman had better be very careful about what kind of relationship he expects to retain after he finally has the guts to leave. You've been complaining about being "punished" for daring to suggest Brexit; take care you do not give the EU a real reason to actually punish you. The MEPs you elect had better be on their very best behaviour.

Ultimately it suits me cos it brings the class war that bit nearer, give an idiot enough rope and you know what happens next.

Yes; what happens next is that the idiot plebs voted for their richer-and-betters' Brexit.