Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '11 12:44
    Uther's favorite Presidential candidate is at it again. A while back he declared he would not appoint any Muslims to government positions (though he retreated from that stance). Now he's saying:

Asked if his view could lead any community to stand up in opposition to a proposed mosque, Cain replied, "They could say that." He pointed to opposition to the planned mosque in Murfreesboro, Tenn., as an example.

"Let's go back to the fundamental issue that the people are basically saying that they are objecting to," Cain said. "They are objecting to the fact that Islam is both religion and (a) set of laws, Shariah law. That's the difference between any one of our other traditional religions where it's just about religious purposes.

"The people in the community know best. And I happen to side with the people in the community."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43789153/ns/politics-decision_2012/

Perhaps some of our TP friendly posters would like to explain how this comports with Constitutional guarantees of freedom of religion?
  2. 18 Jul '11 12:58
    How anyone can defend this type of crap is beyond me.

While I personally don't like a great deal of the language in the Quran, it is outragious for anyone to "ban" religious institutions of any kind. This is still America.
  3. 18 Jul '11 14:55 / 1 edit
    Cain knows what time it is.

Odd how muslim countries ban christian churches or allow anyone to convert and no one has a problem about it and just goes "oh well it's their culture BFD".

I wish he was president instead of Oh-Blame-Us
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '11 14:57
    Originally posted by Zapp Brannigan
    Cain knows what time it is.

Odd how muslim countries ban christian churches or allow anyone to convert and no one has a problem about it and just goes "oh well it's their culture BFD".
    Time to jettison the Constitution and revert to practices similar to those in theocratic and autocratic States like Iran and Saudi Arabia?
  5. 18 Jul '11 15:03
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Time to jettison the Constitution and revert to practices similar to those in theocratic and autocratic States like Iran and Saudi Arabia?
    Time to stop letting those people walk all over us so they can make us LIKE IrAN AND sAUDI aRABIA.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '11 15:04
    Time to stop letting those people walk all over us so they can make us LIKE IrAN AND sAUDI aRABIA.
    What "those people" are you referring to?
  7. 18 Jul '11 15:10
    What "those people" are you referring to?
    OK no more games.
    Go to Iran or Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan.
    Bring your wife and daughters.

Live there for 10 years.

Then come back to ANY western christian country and let us know how great you think it will be when they take over and outnumber us.

Oh...wait...you want them to take over, all in the name of freedom and diversity.

You make me sick.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '11 15:14
    OK no more games.

Live there for 10 years.

Then come back to ANY western christian country and let us know how great you think it will be when they take over and outnumber us.

Oh...wait...you want them to take over, all in the name of freedom and diversity.

You make me sick.
    Stop being such a hysterical piece of crap.

Why you want to make this country more like those places is quite beyond me.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Jul '11 15:28
    What a scary position.

To ban a particular religious institution because it belongs to a particular religion is so obviously a violation of the First Amendment that it's bizarre that anyone could support that.

It doesn't matter what "they" are trying to do to "us" (whoever exactly "they" are). We have freedom of expression and freedom of religion that are protected rights in this country and any politician who supports the effective elimination of that right doesn't deserve a single vote for anything.

We really don't want to wake up one day and discover that we've turned into Iran or Saudi Arabia or San Francisco.*

* I'm kidding around about SF, of course. They won't deserve that knock unless the circumcision ban actually passes... That they put this piece of fascist nonsense on the ballot doesn't make them as bad as SA an Iran quite yet.**

** Not meant as a thread hijack... just an irresistible pot shot.
  10. 18 Jul '11 15:39
    OK no more games.

Live there for 10 years.

You make me sick.
    Have you actually ever met any Iranians? Talked to them? What do you think the take of expats on the situation in Iran is?
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '11 15:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Have you actually ever met any Iranians? Talked to them? What do you think the take of expats on the situation in Iran is?
    I think the Sam-types will explain to you that the Quran allows Muslims to lie to infidels therefore any of "those people" that are not acting like they want to impose Sharia law on our Christian, Western countries are being deceitful in the name of Allah.

EDIT: From one of ubiquitous anti-Muslim sites on the web:

Here the Koran allows Muslims to lie in a way that can easily mean to hide their pro-Sharia agenda from non-Muslims.

http://loganswarning.com/2009/12/15/islam-101-lying-is-permissible/
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    18 Jul '11 18:29
    Cain's an idiot.
  13. 18 Jul '11 18:46 / 1 edit
    I think the Sam-types will explain to you that the Quran allows Muslims to lie to infidels therefore any of "those people" that are not acting like they want to impose Sharia law on our Christian, Western countries are being deceitful in the name of Allah.

EDIT: From one of ubiquitous anti-Muslim sites on the web:

Here the Koran allows Mus ...[text shortened]... genda from non-Muslims.

http://loganswarning.com/2009/12/15/islam-101-lying-is-permissible/
    This coming from the same genius (no1marauder) who threw a hissy fit and swore up and down that Iran has no intentions of building a Nuke.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    18 Jul '11 18:52
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    This coming from the same genius (no1marauder) who threw a hissy fit and swore up and down that Iran has no intentions of building a Nuke.
    Don't recall throwing a "hissy fit".

Don't recall swearing up and down that Iran has no intentions of building a nuke.

Don't recall any evidence being presented that shows Iran is building a nuke.

All that is off-topic, of course. Do you agree with Herman's position that local communities should be able to ban mosques?
  15. 18 Jul '11 18:55
    Don't recall throwing a "hissy fit".

Don't recall swearing up and down that Iran has no intentions of building a nuke.

Don't recall any evidence being presented that shows Iran is building a nuke.

All that is off-topic, of course. Do you agree with Herman's position that local communities should be able to ban mosques?
    No. They have a right to protest them.