Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 06 Oct '17 16:01 / 1 edit
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/sports/football/cam-newton-dannon-sponsorship.html

It appears that Cam Newton has lost his endorsement from Dannon Yogurt because of his sexist comments.

Before this I started a thread which was deleted because I used the terms whitey and darky to describe races, but presumably only because I used the term darky.

Having said that, Is this punishment enough for Cam? This public shaming and societal repercussions associated with it fascinates me to no end. There are no real rules or laws to follow, it seems rather piece meal based upon the offense, who is saying it, and what race they are or sex they are when saying it.

For example, the famous story of an NBA owner who lost his NBA team merely because he was caught saying racist things on what he thought was a private line. Before this he has received an award from the NAACP on racial issues. He even apologized for his comments, yet it was not good enough. He had to have his team taken from him

Now enter Cam Newton. He publically says sexist things, apologizes, and keeps his job even though he lost an endorsement.

Is this fair? Would it have been different if Cam had owned the team? Would have been run out of town and manipulated to give up his team like the NBA owner? If Cam had been white, would he have lost his job or should he have lost his job?

In fact, should I be publically shamed for my previous thread?

Discuss.
  2. 06 Oct '17 16:08
    Originally posted by @whodey
    should I be publically shamed [...]?
    You don't need help with that.
  3. 06 Oct '17 16:23 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    You don't need help with that.
    If I made millions like the NBA owner or Cam I'm sure you would change your tune.

They would need to make me an example. The only question would become, what kind of example?

Would it matter what race and sex I am to decide the appropriate punishment?

For example, if I were black (I assume it's OK to still use this term), would I be forgiven more because "my people" come from a more oppressed existence? If I were a woman, would I be considered the same as a black person. or would a black persons oppression be seen worse than a woman's and the punishment changed accordingly?
  4. 06 Oct '17 17:31
    If I made millions like the NBA owner or Cam I'm sure you would change your tune.

They would need to make me an example. The only question would become, what kind of example?

Would it matter what race and sex I am to decide the appropriate punishment?

For example, if I were black (I assume it's OK to still use this term), would I be forgiven more b ...[text shortened]... a black persons oppression be seen worse than a woman's and the punishment changed accordingly?
    Donald Sterling, who believed the stupid comments he made in private, was treating much more harshly than Cam Newton, who made stupid comments in public. But the difference isn't really race or economic status -- the difference is that the NFL wants Cam Newton because he makes money for everyone while those around him wanted to get of Sterling (much like Kapernick) and thus he was treated harshly. The lesson is either be useful enough and those people will over look your moronic comments or don't say stupid things.
  5. 06 Oct '17 18:01
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Donald Sterling, who believed the stupid comments he made in private, was treating much more harshly than Cam Newton, who made stupid comments in public. But the difference isn't really race or economic status -- the difference is that the NFL wants Cam Newton because he makes money for everyone while those around him wanted to get of Sterling (much lik ...[text shortened]... useful enough and those people will over look your moronic comments or don't say stupid things.
    So the issue was not really about racial equality issues or sexist equality issues. The issue was about money?

What evidence was there that Sterling was costing them money?
  6. 06 Oct '17 18:12
    So the issue was not really about racial equality issues or sexist equality issues. The issue was about money?

What evidence was there that Sterling was costing them money?
    Donald Sterling was considered the worst owner in American sports. He had a team in LA and they could never make the playoffs. The NBA found an opportunity to get rid of him and pounced on it.
  7. 06 Oct '17 18:33
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Donald Sterling was considered the worst owner in American sports. He had a team in LA and they could never make the playoffs. The NBA found an opportunity to get rid of him and pounced on it.
    Interesting theory

Anyone else or does everyone agree?
  8. 06 Oct '17 18:58
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/sports/football/cam-newton-dannon-sponsorship.html

It appears that Cam Newton has lost his endorsement from Dannon Yogurt because of his sexist comments.

Before this I started a thread which was deleted because I used the terms whitey and darky to describe races, but presumably only because I used the term darky.

H ...[text shortened]... have lost his job?

In fact, should I be publically shamed for my previous thread?

Discuss.
    I wish more sponsors were as careful with what they sponsor.
  9. 06 Oct '17 19:11
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I wish more sponsors were as careful with what they sponsor.
    You dig hard enough and every sponsor would probably want to faint.
  10. 06 Oct '17 19:17
    You dig hard enough and every sponsor would probably want to faint.
    No need to dig hard for any American company to drop the NFL like a hot potato.
  11. 08 Oct '17 12:28 / 1 edit
    Does anyone know who Dusty Baker is? He is the current manager of the high flying Nationals in the Major Leagues.

Here is what he said.

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/washington_nationals_manager_dusty_baker_makes_race-sensitive_comments_defends_chapman.html

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Dusty Baker thinks the Washington Nationals need more speed, so he wants more African-American and Latino players on the roster.

Now does anyone here think that if Dusty were a whitey he would still have a job?
  12. 10 Oct '17 02:16 / 1 edit
    Does anyone know who Dusty Baker is? He is the current manager of the high flying Nationals in the Major Leagues.

Here is what he said.

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/washington_nationals_manager_dusty_baker_makes_race-sensitive_comments_defends_chapman.html

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Dusty Baker thinks the Washington Nationals need ...[text shortened]... the roster.

Now does anyone here think that if Dusty were a whitey he would still have a job?
    "Dusty Baker thinks the Washington Nationals need more speed, so he wants more
    African-American and Latino players on the roster."

I expect that Dusty Baker would have welcomed Ichiro Suzuki (Japan) if he were still in his prime.
    Ichiro Suzuki was one of the fastest players in baseball, stealing more than 500 bases in his MLB career.

"With a .350 batting average and 56 stolen bases [in 2001], Ichiro was the first player to
    lead his league in both categories since Jackie Robinson in 1949."
  13. 10 Oct '17 03:27

Here is what he said.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Dusty Baker thinks the Washington Nationals need ...[text shortened]... the roster.

I agree blacks would being more speed, but not hispanics.

Dusty Baker was part of the best team ever.

Davey Lopes, Bill Russell, Ron Cey, Steve Garvey, Reggie Smith.

Dusty probably got his view of inferior white players by watching Rick Monday. Steve Yeager was pretty good too.

Dodgers had some pretty good putchers too. Just don't remember them off hand.