Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 May '18 22:089 edits
    In the sketch, a bunch of canadians are sitting around an igloo, eating beavers and play hockey drinking beers. They say things "eh" and "boot" a lot (pronounced "bewt" by the characters).

The dual citizen boy lives in the US and has mostly American friends. This was his quote in the paper...Do you think SNL should apologize or is he being too sensitive?
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Interviewer:
    The sketch is offensive you say because it diminishes your parents’ experiences

Boy:
    Yeah. Because it’s not really about us Canadians. It was really an impression of our parents. Those characters are the stand-in for their lives — and when you hear about how complicated and hard their lives are, you’re going to make fun of that? In the sketch, there’s no empathy, just annoyance. That comes through in the characters. It’s like a lack of understanding and care, [directed toward] folks you don’t get to hear because our parents didn’t want to make a scene, they didn’t want to make noise. They just wanted to have their kids be safe and educated. They wanted their lives to be easier.

The other cost of it, in addition to that ugliness and insult, is that a lot of us — and I’ll admit this — were insecure about our parents and their accents because it was seen as a joke. I didn’t want people to come over to my house to hear them talk and see what we ate. I didn’t want to give them any more ammunition. It made me feel less American. It made me feel not like an equal. That’s an awful feeling, especially because I’m growing up in Chicago. That’s absurd, to feel that in a place like that, but that’s what happens when you’re made to feel like you’re the one that’s not normal. You’re the one that’s the freak.

These are american writers, and an american voice actor’s impression of a Canadian person. This is who they think we are. The jokes are not for us to laugh at. Whenever the characters would speak and I would hear something corny — or clearly it’s just the accent that’s the joke — those are the moments I was taken out of the show because I knew this wasn’t for me. This was written for another audience, and I stumbled upon the show, and all of a sudden, I have to wait a second to get back into it. It was very weird.
  2. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    01 May '18 22:17
    That whiny millennial bit is way too sensitive.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    01 May '18 23:44
    Originally posted by @uzless
    In the sketch, a bunch of canadians are sitting around an igloo, eating beavers and play hockey drinking beers. They say things "eh" and "boot" a lot (pronounced "bewt" by the characters).

The dual citizen boy lives in the US and has mostly American friends. This was his quote in the paper...Do you think SNL should apologize or is he being too sensiti ...[text shortened]... n the show, and all of a sudden, I have to wait a second to get back into it. It was very weird.
    Poor little whiteboy crybaby.

I doubt he's ever been driving down a city street wondering when his luck would go south, getting pulled over by the police who will shoot him, possibly in the back, long before even determining if he has a weapon. That is the racist reality young black men face every single day in America.

Pardon me for only spending a few seconds considering this white person's claims of racism.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    02 May '18 00:34
    US comedy shows mock Americans more.
    And Brits.
    Brits are either upper-class toffs and/or villains and always with bad teeth.
    I am very offended.
  5. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 May '18 01:38

The dual citizen boy lives in the US and has mostly American friends. This was his quote in the paper...Do you think SNL should apologize or is he being too sensiti ...[text shortened]... n the show, and all of a sudden, I have to wait a second to get back into it. It was very weird.
    Does he want warm milk and cookies too? 😀
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    02 May '18 02:173 edits
    Originally posted by @suzianne

IPardon me for only spending a few seconds considering this white person's claims of racism.
    Actually, the story i posted was FAKE. I did it on purpose and It's a complete cut/paste job from the guy that made the "what's wrong with Apu" documentary as you can see below...it's his EXACT SAME quotes.

So.......why is it ok to use this reasoning to complain about Apu, but you are so completely against it when someone else says EXACTLY THE SAME THING?

Busted!
    -----------------------------------

Interviewer:
    The through-line of interviewees discussing how Apu diminished their parents’ experiences — and your decision to interview your own parents about him — was very moving.

Apu documentary creator:
    Yeah. Because it’s not really about us. It was really an impression of our parents. He was the stand-in for their lives — and when you hear about how complicated and hard their lives are, you’re going to make fun of that? There’s no empathy, just annoyance. That comes through in the character. It’s like a lack of understanding and care, [directed toward] folks you don’t get to hear because our parents didn’t want to make a scene, they didn’t want to make noise. They just wanted to have their kids be safe and educated. They wanted their lives to be easier.

The other cost of it, in addition to that ugliness and insult, is that a lot of us — and I’ll admit this — were insecure about our parents and their accents because it was seen as a joke. I didn’t want people to come over to my house to hear them talk and see what we ate. I didn’t want to give them any more ammunition. It made me feel less American. It made me feel not like an equal. That’s an awful feeling, especially because I’m growing up in Queens. That’s absurd, to feel that in a place like that, but that’s what happens when you’re made to feel like you’re the one that’s not normal. You’re the one that’s the freak.

These are white writers, and a white voice actor’s impression of a South Asian person. This is who they think we are. The jokes are not for us to laugh at. Whenever Apu would come on and I would hear something corny — or clearly it’s just the accent that’s the joke — those are the moments I was taken out of the show because I knew this wasn’t for me. This was written for another audience, and I stumbled upon the show, and all of a sudden, I have to wait a second to get back into it. It was very weird.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/comedian-hari-kondabolu-apu-the-simpsons-hank-azaria-1202618837/
  7. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    02 May '18 10:15
    Actually, the story i posted was FAKE. I did it on purpose and It's a complete cut/paste job from the guy that made the "what's wrong with Apu" documentary as you can see below...it's his EXACT SAME quotes.

So.......why is it ok to use this reasoning to complain about Apu, but you are so completely against it when someone else says EXACTLY THE SAME THI ...[text shortened]... http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/comedian-hari-kondabolu-apu-the-simpsons-hank-azaria-1202618837/
    Nice fishing Uzless, not to take anything away but, suzi is pretty easy to jag even without bait.
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 May '18 11:10
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    US comedy shows mock Americans more.
    And Brits.
    Brits are either upper-class toffs and/or villains and always with bad teeth.
    I am very offended.
    The English are villains though.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:071 edit

So.......why is it ok to use this reasoning to complain about Apu, but you are so completely against it when someone else says EXACTLY THE SAME THING?
    Okay, dip*hit. Obviously you don't see the difference because you see a white person complaining about what is almost certainly imagined racism as somehow tantamount to a PoC complaining about endemic, ACTUAL racism.

It's you saying to the people experiencing actual racism, "sit down and shut up", and at the same time, complaining that whites (AKA people like you) somehow are as burdened with experiencing as much racism as PoC.

And that is unequivocally and undeniably WRONG.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:12

I doubt he's ever been driving down a city street wondering when his luck would go south, getting pulled over by the police who will shoot him, possibly in the back, long before even determining if he has a weapon. That is the racist reality young black men face every single day in America.

Pardon me for only spending a few seconds considering this white person's claims of racism.
    That is because the "white boy" does not come from a culture known for violence and crime.
  11. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:13
    Okay, dip*hit. Obviously you don't see the difference because you see a white person complaining about what is almost certainly imagined racism as somehow tantamount to a PoC complaining about endemic, ACTUAL racism.

It's you saying to the people experiencing actual racism, "sit down and shut up", and at the same time, complaining that whites (AKA peop ...[text shortened]... ened with experiencing as much racism as PoC.

And that is unequivocally and undeniably WRONG.
    poor poor black man. damn you get old.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:16
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    That is because the "white boy" does not come from a culture known for ending up on the receiving end of hundreds of years of blatant, murderous racism.
    Fixed!
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 May '18 12:22
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    poor poor black man. damn you get old.
    Why don't you crawl back into the medieval, racist, cross-burning, God-only-loves-white-people, KKK cave you came from and stay there? Your blatant, unapologetic racism is creating a stench in here that even your mother can't stand. And for God's sake, take your president back with you.
  14. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 May '18 14:561 edit
    Why don't you crawl back into the medieval, racist, cross-burning, God-only-loves-white-people, KKK cave you came from and stay there? Your blatant, unapologetic racism is creating a stench in here that even your mother can't stand. And for God's sake, take your president back with you.
    And for God's sake, take your president back with you.

I think you're going to get your wish Suzianne, but the wheels of justice turn slowly. Good things sometimes take time. 🙂
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 May '18 15:02
    No sluzy...I wont let you run your racism game is what your problem is. Elections have consequences...remember that!