Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Aug '09 13:59 / 1 edit
    Islamic authorities claim that the purpose of the caning is to educate rather than punish, anyone care to explain this statement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8217440.stm
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Aug '09 14:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Islamic authorities claim that the purpose of the caning is to educate rather than punish, anyone care to explain this statement.

Easy.

We're "educating" you that if you don't do what we tell you, we'll beat the crap out of you.
  3. 24 Aug '09 14:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    Easy.

We're "educating" you that if you don't do what we tell you, we'll beat the crap out of you.
    mmm, ok i see your point, but surly education means some instruction, you know, like ok, this was wrong, now we are going to whip you with a cane? are we to assume that the lady in question was unaware of what she was doing? as a consenting adult she should not have drank the beer? why not just tell her, she was not permitted under law to drink beer and that would be that, make her do a punishment exercise if you must, write 'i must not drink beer', five thousand times for example, why does one need to whip her to accept the lesson? it does in all honesty not make any sense.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Aug '09 15:24 / 1 edit
    mmm, ok i see your point, but surly education means some instruction, you know, like ok, this was wrong, now we are going to whip you with a cane? are we to assume that the lady in question was unaware of what she was doing? as a consenting adult she should not have drank the beer? why not just tell her, she was not permitted under law to drink be hy does one need to whip her to accept the lesson? it does in all honesty not make any sense.
    I was being facetious.

I don't think it makes sense to tell an adult that she can't drink beer; and I certainly don't it makes sense to cane people for offenses like that. (I'll reserve judgment on more severe offenses like theft and vandalism.)

But, they have their culture...
  5. 24 Aug '09 15:29 / 2 edits
    I was being facetious.

I don't think it makes sense to tell an adult that she can't drink beer; and I certainly don't it makes sense to cane people for offenses like that. (I'll reserve judgment on more severe offenses like theft and vandalism.)
    The next thing you know the Muslims will be taken over by the far left. Pretty soon they will also forbid driving SUV's and restricting the use of electricity etc, etc. I think the world would be a far simpler place to live if they simply turned us into drones who did nothing else that go to work and have no other pleasures in life as we hand them everything we own and all the money we make. Then they can use those drones to take over the universe with Emporer Obama at the helm.

Sorry, just saw the stars wars sequel of "Attack of the Drones". Of cousre, I immediatly saw comparisons to the evil Empire and the current left wing strangle hold on the US. Of course, none of this is done to "punish", rather, it is simply to reeducate us all. After all, it is the liberal elite who knows what is best for us and the rest of humanity due to their intellectual superiority and all.
  6. 24 Aug '09 16:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    The next thing you know the Muslims will be taken over by the far left. Pretty soon they will also forbid driving SUV's and restricting the use of electricity etc, etc. I think the world would be a far simpler place to live if they simply turned us into drones who did nothing else that go to work and have no other pleasures in life as we hand them everythin what is best for us and the rest of humanity due to their intellectual superiority and all.
    i never knew you were a capitalist bourgeoisie factory owning pig!
  7. 24 Aug '09 16:38

the only explanation is that Islamic authorities are either retarded, or simply savages.

caning people simply for drinking a beer is barbaric, and it shows how the mentality of these people is stuck in the 6th century.
  8. 24 Aug '09 17:10
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    the only explanation is that Islamic authorities are either retarded, or simply savages.

caning people simply for drinking a beer is barbaric, and it shows how the mentality of these people is stuck in the 6th century.
    i would agree...It's funny that things like this go on all around the world (and would never be tolerated in the U.S.) but 90% of rhp posting is negative about the U.S. What is the world's fascination with complaining about the U.S.?
  9. 24 Aug '09 17:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by NimzovichLarsen
    i would agree...It's funny that things like this go on all around the world (and would never be tolerated in the U.S.) but 90% of rhp posting is negative about the U.S. What is the world's fascination with complaining about the U.S.?
    genocide, greed, corruption, fomenting political instability, torture, etc etc but hey we love you despite these little faults.
  10. 24 Aug '09 17:32
    genocide, greed, corruption, fomenting political instability, torture, etc etc but hey we love you despite these little faults.
    genocide? When?
  11. 24 Aug '09 17:33
    genocide? When?
    do the Native Americans ring any bells?
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Aug '09 17:39
    A Brit talking about centuries old genocide.

Cute.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    24 Aug '09 17:39
    Same reason people rag on the Yankees when they lose and not on the Kansas City Royals when they lose.
  14. 24 Aug '09 17:41
    Do i need to define genocide to you, or explain u.s. history mr william wallace? That is like me saying Scotland is guilty of genocide for trying to kill the English.
    You do offer, though, another example of rhp posters fascination with the U.S.. On the other hand, there isn't too many threads on here in regards to little old Scotland, huh? Is it just not worth talking about?
  15. 24 Aug '09 17:44
    A Brit talking about centuries old genocide.

Cute.
    they always seem forget about their adventures in India ,and in africa.