Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 Apr '18 14:432 edits
    Xi Jinping controls a one-party government that voted to end term limits; something put in place due to the despotism of Mao Zedong.

    https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/detentions-01082018164453.html

    authorities in northwest China’s Xinjiang region continue to place ethnic Uyghurs deemed “extremists” in political re-education camps, despite assurances the detentions would end after the sensitive annual meeting.

    Since April 2017, Uyghurs accused of harboring “extremist” and “politically incorrect” views have been jailed or detained in re-education camps throughout Xinjiang, where members of the ethnic group have long complained of pervasive discrimination, religious repression, and cultural suppression under Chinese rule.


    China seems doomed to farcical elections, much like Russia and Egypt, that will embolden Jinping to act more and more like a dictator. Jinping changed the constitution to allow his indefinite rule with all but five out 3,000 votes from China's congress. The government aleady exerts control of what's reported in the media, and that's likely to increase.
  2. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    07 Apr '18 15:09
    Heh? The Chinese government has been a dictatorship for decades.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 Apr '18 15:191 edit
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Heh? The Chinese government has been a dictatorship for decades.
    Yes. But there was at least a facade democracy.

    Jinping abolishing term-limits is such a brazen power grab, that he's well on his way to being Kim Jong-Un. Jinping already had a military parade last year, one of the classic moves of dictators like Kim, who's had a few of those already.

    With two-term limits, there was at least hope of a good leader replacing a despot. That's been erased.
  4. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    33344
    07 Apr '18 16:09
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Yes. But there was at least a facade democracy.

    Jinping abolishing term-limits is such a brazen power grab, that he's well on his way to being Kim Jong-Un. Jinping already had a military parade last year, one of the classic moves of dictators like Kim, who's had a few of those already.

    With two-term limits, there was at least hope of a good leader replacing a despot. That's been erased.
    You should refer to the Chinese premier by his surname, Xi. Chinese names are written surname first.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    07 Apr '18 16:12
    Originally posted by @teinosuke
    You should refer to the Chinese premier by his surname, Xi. Chinese names are written surname first.
    Thumbs up.
  6. Joined
    15 Jul '10
    Moves
    133469
    07 Apr '18 23:31
    China, If you can't run with the big dogs, don't get off the freaking porch.
  7. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    08 Apr '18 03:192 edits
    Originally posted by @vivify to KazetNagorra
    Yes. But there was at least a facade democracy.

    Jinping abolishing term-limits is such a brazen power grab, that he's well on his way to being Kim Jong-Un. Jinping already had a military parade last year, one of the classic moves of dictators like Kim, who's had a few of those already.

    With two-term limits, there was at least hope of a good leader replacing a despot. That's been erased.
    I don't know anyone in or from the People's Republic of China who
    ever seriously believed that it is or was a *facade democracy".
    As far as I know, government spokesmen did not pretend ithat it's a democracy.
    Elections have been held, but not to choose a national leader, even
    in the nominal sense that Putin was elected in Russia.

    Vivify seems ignorant of the fact that 'Jinping' is a given name.
    There's no "Mr. Jinping. "

    Only if Xi Jinping declares that he will appoint his son as his successor
    as China's leader should he be compared to Kim Jong-un .

    On another note, Xi Jinping declared that China must end its worst poverty soon.
    While the BBC, for instance, already has predicted that a Chinese
    campaign against extreme poverty is destined most likely to fail,
    at least Xi--,in contrast to Trump--proposes to do something urgently
    to reduce poverty.
  8. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    08 Apr '18 03:281 edit
    [i]Originally posted by @teinosuke to Vivify [I]
    You should refer to the Chinese premier by his surname, Xi. Chinese names are written surname first.
    Xi Jinping is not the "Chinese premier". That's not one of his offices.
    The premier is Li Keqiang.

    When Zhou Enlai was China's premier, Mai Zedong held more power.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35846
    08 Apr '18 09:41
    Originally posted by @sergeantpmain
    China, If you can't run with the big dogs, don't get off the freaking porch.
    WITH, not FROM.

    Apparently, Trump wants us all to start running FROM China.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    11011
    08 Apr '18 14:10
    Originally posted by @duchess64

    On another note, Xi Jinping declared that China must end its worst poverty soon.
    While the BBC, for instance, already has predicted that a Chinese
    campaign against extreme poverty is destined most likely to fail,
    at least Xi--,in contrast to Trump--proposes to do something urgently
    to reduce poverty.[/b]
    Your ongoing bias against the BBC is palpable. I guess this is the report you are referencing and misrepresenting?

    www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-42548808/china-s-uphill-struggle-fighting-extreme-poverty.
  11. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    08 Apr '18 20:332 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Xi Jinping is not the "Chinese premier". That's not one of his offices.
    The premier is Li Keqiang.

    When Zhou Enlai was China's premier, Mai Zedong held more power.
    All educated Chinese should know that Xi Jinping's NOT their premier today.

    Given that my hateful trolls object to my pointing out a clear factual error, one would
    conclude that they would prefer to keep propagating falsehoods about China.
  12. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    08 Apr '18 20:351 edit
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Your ongoing bias against the BBC is palpable. I guess this is the report you are referencing and misrepresenting?

    www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-asia-china-42548808/china-s-uphill-struggle-fighting-extreme-poverty.
    FALSE. I refer to BBC news stories that I hear on radio or view on television, not to the website.
    I don't know to what extent these BBC stories may overlap in content in different media.

    I usually am multi-tasking when I listen to the BBC news. It's much less convenient for
    me to cook, for instance, and read the website than for me to have the radio turned on.
    I almost never would turn to the BBC website as my first choice for news on the internet.
  13. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    08 Apr '18 22:134 edits
    Originally posted by @teinosuke to Vivify
    You should refer to the Chinese premier by his surname, Xi. Chinese names are written surname first.
    Teinosuke has written a well-meaning post (which I endorse) to the ignorant Vivify.
    But it has a factual error, which would be well-known in China.

    China's premier is Li Keqiang, not Xi Jinping.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Keqiang
    "An economist by training, Li is China's head of government."
    By the way, his wife is a professor of English, and their daughter's a student in the USA.

    My point is that the Chinese (including China's leaders) are not nearly as 'closed' off from
    Western societies as many ignorant Westerners like to keep fantasizing. I would expect
    Li Keqiang to read his daughter's letters or E-mails about living conditions in the USA.

    Given the common preference here to believe falsehoods rather than facts about China,
    I would hardly be surprised if writers (though not Teinosuke) kept claiming that China's premier is Xi Jinping.
  14. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    33344
    09 Apr '18 03:55
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Xi Jinping is not the "Chinese premier". That's not one of his offices.
    The premier is Li Keqiang.

    When Zhou Enlai was China's premier, Mai Zedong held more power.
    Thank you for the correction. I wonder who the five people who gave a Thumbs Down are, and why.
  15. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Joined
    03 Jun '17
    Moves
    19345
    09 Apr '18 04:10
    This is all just the beginning.

    The power of technology is going to revolutionize dictatorship in the 21st century.
Back to Top