Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    02 Jul '13 03:06
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/30/amelia-blogger-interview_n_3522734.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

    Can it be right to announce that your 6 year-old is gay (albeit anonymously)?

    I wouldn't dream of proclaiming my children gay, bi, hetero or asexual.
  2. 02 Jul '13 03:13
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/30/amelia-blogger-interview_n_3522734.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

    Can it be right to announce that your 6 year-old is gay (albeit anonymously)?

    I wouldn't dream of proclaiming my children gay, bi, hetero or asexual.
    I knew without a doubt when I was 5 that I liked girls. My first crush was Jenny Rankey (not sure about spelling of last name).
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    02 Jul '13 04:10
    I as well had my first crush at the age of five, in kindergarten. Her name was Suzan (probably not spelling it right), a girl I thought was absolutely gorgeous. Just a few years later, however, puberty was unkind to her, and she was rather unattractive by 7th grade.

    But yeah, sexual orientation can become clear pretty early.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    02 Jul '13 04:15
    Take it to the Super Adventure Club Spanky
  5. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    02 Jul '13 04:50 / 1 edit
    I saw my first naked, mature octopus at 6. It lovingly caressed its tentacles around my hand. I felt such a romantic attraction at that moment that I pulled my swimsuit down and attempted to force the octopus to fellate me. I did not know at the time that octopi have beaks. I have never felt the same about octopi, and I have a chunk missing out of the head of my penis.
  6. 02 Jul '13 06:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I knew without a doubt when I was 5 that I liked girls. My first crush was Jenny Rankey (not sure about spelling of last name).
    But at age 7 can we definitively say that there is much of a difference that proves your point? You could still wake up gay when you become an adult. If you do, there is no doubt in my mind that once you come out of the closet President Obama will be there to call you up and give you a congrats.
  7. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    02 Jul '13 07:46
    Like almost every child, I went through the crush phase, and it doesn't matter what your adult sexual preference is, it will have nothing to do with what you thought it was, back then. Sorry to be such a grinch, but I think the mother needs to grow up and stop bignoting herself at her child's expense.
  8. 02 Jul '13 13:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    You could still wake up gay when you become an adult.
    Who simply "wakes up gay"??
  9. 02 Jul '13 13:37
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Like almost every child, I went through the crush phase, and it doesn't matter what your adult sexual preference is, it will have nothing to do with what you thought it was, back then. Sorry to be such a grinch, but I think the mother needs to grow up and stop bignoting herself at her child's expense.
    Living in the Bay Area most of my life I have known countless gay people in my time. Literally every single one of them first started having crushes on the same sex, where most of us had crushes on the opposite sex. It's pretty clear that your sexual orientation is something you are born with.

    If a straight person first started having crushes on the same sex, I would say it's highly probable that person has bisexual tendencies.
  10. 02 Jul '13 15:20
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Who simply "wakes up gay"??
    I would guess that gay people do. My guess is they are also gay when they go to bed, but we'll have to wait for research to confirm that.
  11. 02 Jul '13 16:00
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I would guess that gay people do. My guess is they are also gay when they go to bed, but we'll have to wait for research to confirm that.
    Hah.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    02 Jul '13 17:41
    Boys who become gay men often act in a more "girly" way when they're little but not always. There's been research done on it.
  13. 02 Jul '13 18:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Boys who become gay men often act in a more "girly" way when they're little but not always. There's been research done on it.
    I could believe there is truth to that, it is certainly the case with gay male adults. And it certainly isn't behavioral conditioning. In a lot of cases when someone comes out, friends and family already suspected from their demeanor alone.

    Even if you set aside empirical evidence that is out there, this alone leads me to believe that being gay is a physical state and certainly not a "choice"
  14. 02 Jul '13 20:49 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/30/amelia-blogger-interview_n_3522734.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

    Can it be right to announce that your 6 year-old is gay (albeit anonymously)?

    I wouldn't dream of proclaiming my children gay, bi, hetero or asexual.
    "I wouldn't dream of proclaiming my children (sexual orientation)."
    --Wolfgang59

    On this subject, I may seem rather old-fashioned, perhaps because I
    seem to have grown up in a less sexualized culture than in the USA today.
    (Look at some very young girls already using make-up to attract boys--
    something that was unimaginable in my childhood.) I believe that it's better
    to allow children to remain children, to keep their innocence longer rather
    rather than to hasten to join the perilous adult world of sexual exploration.
    There will be time enough for that later. What's the big rush?

    How often does a girl (a boy may feel differently) feel regret because
    she lost her virginity 'too late'? It seems much more common for a girl
    to feel regret, if not also sad, that her virginity was gone too soon.
    I am not suggesting that Americans, in particular, should attempt to return
    to the mores of the 'whitewashed' 1950s (which was a time of much racism,
    sexism, and repressed sexual experimentation). But I am saying that,
    while children today have more information available (thanks to the internet)
    about sex than their grandparents did, I know of no reason to believe that
    children today necessarily become emotionally mature much sooner than
    their grandparents did in relation to their decisions about sex.

    Speaking of childhood crushes, however, a common potential danger
    takes place when a girl (or boy) has become perceived as a 'developing
    young woman' (or man) and draws some extra attention from an adult in
    authority over her (or him). How ready then will that girl (or boy) be to
    handle intimate advances from a respected, trusted adult in her (his) life?
    Would it help her (him) if that girl (or boy) already has done some serious
    thnking about her (his) developing sexuality? Should we have to have
    'The Talk' (about sex) so early (by age six?) with our children because
    there are some adults out there who don't respect enough boundaries and
    won't accept that childhood should remain a time of playful innocence?
  15. 02 Jul '13 21:11
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "I wouldn't dream of proclaiming my children (sexual orientation)."
    --Wolfgang59

    On this subject, I may seem rather old-fashioned, perhaps because I
    seem to have grown up in a less sexualized culture than in the USA today.
    (Look at some very young girls already using make-up to attract boys--
    something that was unimaginable in my childhood.) But I ...[text shortened]... undaries and
    won't accept that childhood should remain a time of playful innocence?
    That's a good question. It's hard to know what the right time is to talk to children about sex. My oldest child is 7 and I haven't talked with him much about sex with the exception of the differences of male and female anatomy (he has a younger sister). Also, I owe you an apology. I'm sorry for using the word douches to refer to you in a previous post. I won't do that again.