Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Jul '10 16:01
    With their lopsided gender ratio and authoritarian government I imagine homosexuality will have a large role in the future of China in some way; whether forcing it to respect the peoples' rights, or leading to mass persecution...

Thoughts?

Official question: how will homosexuality impact Chinese culture as in the near to medium future?
  2. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    09 Jul '10 16:02
    Let me check my crystal ball...
  3. 09 Jul '10 16:50
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    With their lopsided gender ratio and authoritarian government I imagine homosexuality will have a large role in the future of China in some way; whether forcing it to respect the peoples' rights, or leading to mass persecution...

Thoughts?

Official question: how will homosexuality impact Chinese culture as in the near to medium future?
    Just so long as they don't have more than one child its all good.
  4. 09 Jul '10 16:55

Thoughts?

what a strange title, where did you get that from? some obscure erotic comedy film from the 70s?

as for the thread's topic, I think its likely they'll be persecuted.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Jul '10 16:57

Thoughts?

I would think they'd encourage it to assist with population stabilization.

Then again, people aren't always logical on this front.
  6. 09 Jul '10 17:01
    Originally posted by sh76
    I would think they'd encourage it to assist with population stabilization.

Then again, people aren't always logical on this front.
    do you really think they'd encourage homosexuality? really?
  7. 09 Jul '10 17:15

Thoughts?

So you are thinking that the lopsided gender ratio will cause men to choose to be gay?
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Jul '10 17:17
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    You're talking about a non-religious country that all but encourages infanticide. I wouldn't be shocked.
  9. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Jul '10 22:54
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    So you are thinking that the lopsided gender ratio will cause men to choose to be gay?
    I'm thinking it will cause more gay men to come out of the closet.
  10. 10 Jul '10 00:39
    Ahh. That makes sense.
  11. 10 Jul '10 00:46
    not an enviable position, in China.

probably more gradual than you'd think.
  12. 10 Jul '10 02:26
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    It's true. They are cutting Judy Garland records translated into Chinese as we speak!!
  13. 10 Jul '10 09:50

Thoughts?

Why hypothesize about the future without discussing the past and present?
    What is the current status of recognition and rights of homosexuals in China?

How does the gender ratio impact on it?

How will their political system affect the way homosexuals fight for their rights? Will it be that much different from so-called democracies like Malawi and Uganda where homosexuals are having a very hard time?
  14. 10 Jul '10 10:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why hypothesize about the future without discussing the past and present?
    What is the current status of recognition and rights of homosexuals in China?
    Homosexuality is legal in China. It appears never specifically to have been prohibited, though laws regarding "hooliganism" were used against gays until 1997. In 2001, homosexuality was officially removed from the Chinese Classification of Mental Disorders. The Chinese government's attitude to homosexuality is said to be " No approval, no disapproval, and no promotion"
  15. Standard member avalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    10 Jul '10 10:22
    Maybe women to have multiple husbands. Like frogs.