Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Jan '12 05:40
    I just heard that Huntsman dropped out of the GOP race and gave his endoresment to Romney.

All I can say is, what a travesty. I mean, there are three very disappointed GOP voters out there who are just crying their eyes out. Hopefully, they are comforting each other as we speak!!!

So what does everyone think about a Romney/Hunstman ticket? If so, they could bring back those three voters into the fold.
  2. 16 Jan '12 06:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    I just heard that Huntsman dropped out of the GOP race and gave his endoresment to Romney.

All I can say is, what a travesty. I mean, there are three very disappointed GOP voters out there who are just crying their eyes out. Hopefully, they are comforting each other as we speak!!!

So what does everyone think about a Romney/Hunstman ticket? If so, they could bring back those three voters into the fold.
    He was only running for practice. That church needs to keep Mormons running until they take over the country. If Romney falters or makes 2 terms then his little elf, Huntsman, will be there as a replacement.
  3. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    16 Jan '12 13:30
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    He was only running for practice. That church needs to keep Mormons running until they take over the country. If Romney falters or makes 2 terms then his little elf, Huntsman, will be there as a replacement.
    In Australia, the Huntsman is a non poisonous, largely benign, but very scary looking spider (closely resembles a tarantula) that most people leave alone to get on with its useful function of keeping a handle on the local insect population. I had one stay in my car for a long time and even though I knew it was there, it would occasionally give me the most massive-est adrenaline boost when pulling down the sun visor and it would suddenly be there in all of its hairy glory, just 3 or 4 inches away from my face.

But other than the occasional heart starter, which was quite a handy way to get rid of the cobwebs of the night before, I learned that it would go away as quickly as anything as long as you left it a clear line of escape. There's a parable there, somewhere...

Outside of Australia they are also known as wood, cane, rain, lizard-eating or clock spiders....
  4. 16 Jan '12 15:21
    Originally posted by whodey

Not a good idea. Romey needs a Rubio from Florida maybe a Hailey from SC. Huntsman won't help Romney in the NE or anywhere else. Its all about politics, not whether the man would be a good VP..which he would be.
  5. 16 Jan '12 21:12
    Huntsman was the best of the Republican candidates to be president.
  6. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    16 Jan '12 21:42
    As contenders bow to the inevitable and accept Romney will win because the party machine has backed him from the start and drop out, later stages might well end up being just Romeny and noted lunatic Ron Paul. So for me, the interesting question is how many people who don't really want Ron Paul to win the nomination or the Presidency will back him anyway, as the only ABM horse left in the race, giving Paul a grossly inflated support out of kilter to his actual popularity...

The electoral calculus and psychology of the primaries is considerably more interesting than the actual Presidential election.
  7. 16 Jan '12 22:07
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The guy who stood by complicit as the crowd of flag waving, patriotic pro-troops Republicans booed a Soldier serving in a combat zone simply for admitting he's gay?
  8. 16 Jan '12 22:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    The guy who stood by complicit as the crowd of flag waving, patriotic pro-troops Republicans booed a Soldier serving in a combat zone simply for admitting he's gay?
    Wrong ! More progressive spin coming from USAP ! What a surprise ! This is how it actually went down.

In the question, directed at former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, Stephen Hill asked: “Under one of your presidencies, do you intend to circumvent the progress that’s been made for gay and lesbian soldiers in the military?”

Before Santorum responded to the question, members of the audience were heard booing. The prevailing media narrative immediately became that the audience booed a gay service member, little more than a week after the last debate when the audience seemed to cheer a man’s death.

But listen to the video carefully: The first boo isn’t heard until after Hill finishes his question — not when he introduces himself as a gay soldier, nor when he said he had to “lie about who [he] was” when he was first deployed. It sounds like the boos weren’t directed at Hill himself, but at his question.

Nevertheless, here’s a sample of the headlines that ran following the debate:

“Presidential debate audience members boo gay soldier; Rick Santorum would reinstate DADT” (Washington Post)
    “Debate crowd booed gay soldier” (ABC)
    “Gay soldier booed at GOP debate; candidates stay mum” (The Hill)
    “Republican Debate Audience Boos Gay Soldier Stephen Hill After DADT Question” (Huffington Post)
    “Audience Members of GOP Debate Boo Stephen Hill, Gay Soldier Serving in Iraq” (Mediaite)

At least one major news organization seemed to note the nuance: The Los Angeles Times‘ headline read, “At GOP debate, crowd boos gay soldier‘s question on ’don’t ask, don’t tell.’”

According to audience member Sarah Rumpf, there’s another problem with the way the story played: It wasn’t “the crowd” that booed, but rather one or two individuals who were quickly shushed. Rumpf wrote on her blog:

There was audible booing after his question…however, please note that it was not the crowd booing. It was only one or two people. [Emphasis hers]
    I was at the debate, in the audience on the right hand side about halfway back (here’s my tweet of the video screen that was right in front of us). The person who booed was just a few rows in front of us. The booing got an immediate and angry reaction from nearly everyone sitting around him, who hissed and shushed at him. Lots of loud gasps, “Shhhh!“ ”No!“ ”Shut up, you idiot!” etc.
  9. 16 Jan '12 23:30 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    [b]Wrong ! More progressive spin coming from USAP ! What a surprise ! This is how it actually went down.

In the question, directed at former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, Stephen Hill asked: “Under one of your presidencies, do you intend to circumvent the progress that’s been made for gay and lesbian soldiers in the military?”

Before S ...[text shortened]... and shushed at him. Lots of loud gasps, “Shhhh!“ ”No!“ ”Shut up, you idiot!” etc.
    [/quote][/b]
    Surprisingly coming from you, that is actually a fair point. We cannot know for sure what specifically they were booing at - be it him being a gay Soldier, his question or both. But whatever the reason the boos were certainly disrespectful toward that Soldier.

I would say the same if it was a Conservative trooper asking Democratic candidates if they would let him "finish the job" in Iraq, and Democrats booed him. It would be rude, and the Republicans would have a field day (yourself included) and you know it.

Also, in that scenario I can't think of any of the Democratic candidates who wouldn't have said, "First of all, thank you for your service" and then explained why they disagreed with that position. Santorum didn't do that, but more important his answer was one of the most moronic things I've ever heard! It started with, "I would say any type of sexual activity has no place in the military" and it became even dumber the more he spoke.

BTW, I don't spin. No doubt you will reply with "LOL OMG WTF" or something similar, but it doesn't change that fact.
  10. 16 Jan '12 23:55 / 1 edit
    Surprisingly coming from you, that is actually a fair point. We cannot know for sure what specifically they were booing at - be it him being a gay Soldier, his question or both. But whatever the reason the boos were certainly disrespectful toward that Soldier.

I would say the same if it was a Conservative trooper asking Democratic candid ll reply with "LOL OMG WTF" or something similar, but it doesn't change that fact.
    "LOL OMG WTF" just kidding.

Seriously though, maybe you dont spin. I will take your word for that. However, your sources do, and often times you quote their daily talking points near verbatim.
    Before you go there, I know you will say the same about me and my sources.
    I guess its just human nature to repeat what you have heard.

I remember when that debate was live, and the couple of knuckle heads did not howl when he said he was gay. It was when he mentioned DADT BEFORE his "coming out" statement.
    I do agree it was disrespectful though.( and that is why they were shushed by the majority of the crowd) Any way you slice it.
  11. 17 Jan '12 00:21 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    "LOL OMG WTF" just kidding.

Seriously though, maybe you dont spin. I will take your word for that. However, your sources do, and often times you quote their daily talking points near verbatim.
    Before you go there, I know you will say the same about me and my sources.
    I guess its just human nature to repeat what you have heard.

I remember ough.( and that is why they were shushed by the majority of the crowd) Any way you slice it.
    I don't post Liberal sites like dailykos or talkingpointmemo as sources. In fact, whenever I see claims made from left-wing sources I fact check them as well.

Although this is kind of a moot point because you've been programmed to believe that any media outlet that isn't blatantly right-wing is part of the "Liberal media."

You do make a couple points that are valid. Their boos came only when he finished the question, and I heard 3 maybe 4 boos.

But I did NOT hear a single person hushing them, including Santorum himself. Also, I have never once seen a politician address a service member without thanking him/her for their service. I'm not saying this because I want or need any praise or gratitude, I truly don't. I just thought it was very telling that following the boos, Santorum didn't open with, "First of all, thank you for your service. But here is why I think DADT should be reinstated." He didn't thank him and he didn't address the boos. Santorum (a politician) came across as very dismissive of this man's service and in my opinion he didn't want to be seen as coddling or thanking/praising the homo.
  12. 17 Jan '12 00:28
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Would you have voted for him in the general?
  13. 17 Jan '12 00:35 / 1 edit
    I don't post Liberal sites like dailykos or talkingpointmemo as sources. In fact, whenever I see claims made from left-wing sources I fact check them as well.

Although this is kind of a moot point because you've been programmed to believe that any media outlet that isn't blatantly right-wing is part of the "Liberal media."

You do make a cou in my opinion he didn't want to be seen as coddling or thanking/praising the homo.
    It did come off wrong for Santorum. I dont know why. I hope it was because he was just thrown off, got a brain freeze, gaffed, nervous or whatever.

In a perfect world though, he would (and should have) said "thank you for your service", before anything else came out of his mouth.
    He probably wishes he had, I hope.

I doubt it was a deliberate slight.
  14. 17 Jan '12 00:40

You do make a cou ...[text shortened]... in my opinion he didn't want to be seen as coddling or thanking/praising the homo.
    Santorum, Huntsman, and most Republicans and the constituents disapprove of dropping DADT. And that doesn't make them homophobes. It is a point of view where reasonable people disagree.
  15. 17 Jan '12 00:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Santorum, Huntsman, and most Republicans and the constituents disapprove of dropping DADT. And that doesn't make them homophobes. It is a point of view where reasonable people disagree.
    I don't think disagreement on that issue is reasonable by any degree of logic and fairness.

But that wasn't even the point of our discussion.