Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 18:18
    An Indian comedian has complained (extensively) that the character Apu from the Simpsons is racist.
    The Simpsons commented on it in one of their episodes a few weeks ago.
    And now the actor who voices Apu has said that if he needs to step away from the character he will.

Now. On one side, you could quite well argue that Apu is a racist depiction of an Indian store owner (in Scotland it would have been a Pakistani shop owner for some reason. We always referred to them as "The Packi's"... never seen it spelled, but I presume it would have been something like that).

On the other hand, you could say that a whole sounder of Simpsons characters are racist: Groundskeeper Willy (Scot), barman Moe (Polish), Fat Tony (Italian), Duffman (American), for example.
    Besides that, there's a lot of stereotypical Jews and Christians hanging around.
    Why single out Apu, unless you are racist?

Anyhoo.

There's an argument I keep hearing of late: racism is subject to a person's own feelings.
    And that, my friends (and foes) can never be good for comedy (or law for that matter).

What say ye all?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 19:52
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    An Indian comedian has complained (extensively) that the character Apu from the Simpsons is racist.
    And now the actor who voices Apu has said that if he needs to step away from the character he will.

Now. On one side, you could quite well argue that Apu is a racist depiction of ...[text shortened]... y friends (and foes) can never be good for comedy (or law for that matter).

What say ye all?
    How is acknowledging a racist depiction and making changes racist in itself? This reminds one of the classic response from the right: "I'm not racist, YOU are!!"
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 19:532 edits

Now. On one side, you could quite well argue that Apu is a racist depiction of ...[text shortened]... y friends (and foes) can never be good for comedy (or law for that matter).

What say ye all?
    Though I am a left leaning Independent, I must agree with many on the right wing in saying that the only people who get accused of racism are white people and mostly white males. Everyone else has minority "points" in their favor. 😞
  4. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 20:02
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Though I am a left leaning Independent, I must agree with many on the right wing in saying that the only people who get accused of racism are white people and mostly white males. Everyone else has minority "points" in their favor. 😞
    I am there with you McHill.

I do not deny the horrific racists acts of the past nor do I make excuses for those carrying on with those same, present day, attitudes. It's ignorant and ridiculous.

I continue to hope for change and enlightenment.

I will also continue to wish that my pale skin does not automatically associate me with that hatred and idiocy.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 20:17

What say ye all?
    They need to let the Starbucks CEO take over and take a day or two to have race sensitivity training for the staff that writes the scripts.

There, that should fix it! 😵
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 21:171 edit
    Civilized society strives to evolve. The Simpsons just so happens to be a product of the late 80s and a product of current times. They are in a unique position to have been around when it was okay to play such offensive characters, and be around when it was not. Glad to see they have evolved with the times.

Racial stereotypes can be hurtful. I commend the voice actor of the Indian character for being willing to not play that stereotype.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 21:34
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Civilized society strives to evolve. The Simpsons just so happens to be a product of the late 80s and a product of current times. They are in a unique position to have been around when it was okay to play such offensive characters, and be around when it was not. Glad to see they have evolved with the times.

Racial stereotypes can be hurtful. I commend the voice actor of the Indian character for being willing to not play that stereotype.
    Kids, they are all stereotypes, that's what makes it funny....or at least.....used to be till people got all "enlightened".
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 21:47
    Anyone who holds power over others tends to have their faults pointed out more often. Men hold power over women, whites have held power over pretty much every race at different times, the Japanese ruled the Chinese, etc. Therefore, when a member of the ruling group mocks those who've been under today group, it's taken much more seriously than if someone else mocks them, because their influence is much more serious.

Whites have ruled over every group of people, often with horrific results. So whites must tread more carefully, especially when there's no shortage of them who still feel superior to everyone else.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 21:56
    Anyone who holds power over others tends to have their faults pointed out more often. Men hold power over women, whites have held power over pretty much every race at different times, the Japanese ruled the Chinese, etc. Therefore, when a member of the ruling group mocks those who've been under today group, it's taken much more seriously than if someone el ...[text shortened]... carefully, especially when there's no shortage of them who still feel superior to everyone else.
    So where is the outrage of stereotyping the CEO Homer works for as an evil rich guy?

Where is the outrage of stereotyping the conservative Christian, etc?
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    25 Apr '18 22:034 edits
    That’s because white men have all the power in this country. I still believe those black dominated countries in Africa that seize farmland only of people of a particular race are racist. In Liberia you can only be a citizen if you are black. Racism!

YouTube : Daily Show Apu.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 01:33
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    This reminds one of the classic response from suzianne: "I'm not racist, YOU are!!"
    Fixed!
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 01:461 edit

No one is hurt by APU except people who have never heard of comedy. The simpsons characters are ALLLLLL based on stereotypes. Not one of them is a composite of a poltically correct character. The fact they are based on the stereotype is what makes the show funny...it's funny because we all know that no one is like this in real life. We laugh at the fictional situations and responses these crazy characters come up with.

The guy claiming APU is a racist charcter is basically claiming all the people watching the simpsons somehow are being indoctrinated to believe APU represents ALL Indian people and that ALL indian people act like APU...we know this is completely wrong and that Indian people are NOT like Apu. It's a dumb argument. As dumb as white people saying Homer is racist because it represents american white males as fat and lazy, or cops as fat and incompetent, or religious leaders as people who trade their religious beliefs for monetary gain, or italians as mobsters, scientists as geeks.....etc etc etc etc.

Give it a rest and just enjoy the comedy for what it is.

"Now ... if you are a young Indian-American person you have a lot of role models to choose from," Azaria said. "So Apu can just be one funny one."

- Hank Azaria (the voice of Apu)
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 01:58
    Originally posted by @uzless
    Fixed!
    ....and you prove my point.
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 02:16
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    ....and you prove my point.
    To prove a point you must first have a point.
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    26 Apr '18 02:27
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so farking what."

Stephen Fry