Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    14 Jul '09 02:54
    My professor of "Teaching Culturally and Ethnically Diverse Students" or something like that claims that the Jesuits have themselves told her that they are pretty much all openly gay, and those who are not gay and want to join an Order are channelled into other Orders. She claims that in Catholic homes boys who are gay will seek out the Jesuits in order to be in a "safe place" for their sexuality.

Now, I attend and she teaches at a Jesuit school. Marxism and homosexuality are pretty consistent themes here. It sounds like she knows what she's talking about.

Anyone know about this topic or have anything to say about it?
  2. 14 Jul '09 03:17
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    My professor of "Teaching Culturally and Ethnically Diverse Students" or something like that claims that the Jesuits have themselves told her that they are pretty much all openly gay, and those who are not gay and want to join an Order are channelled into other Orders. She claims that in Catholic homes boys who are gay will seek out the Jesuits in or ...[text shortened]... what she's talking about.

I went to a Jesuit college, but the only Jesuits I saw were older (and the one whose class I was in was remarkably dense and annoying). This was in the very (religiously) conservative New York State, though. Maybe that's where they send the old straight guys. There were no hints that these were other than cranky old farts who thought they should be revered. Then again, I've heard that last part is a Jesuit trait!
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    14 Jul '09 03:45
    My professor of "Teaching Culturally and Ethnically Diverse Students" or something like that claims that the Jesuits have themselves told her that they are pretty much all openly gay, and those who are not gay and want to join an Order are channelled into other Orders. She claims that in Catholic homes boys who are gay will seek out the Jesuits in or ...[text shortened]... what she's talking about.

Never heard that one before.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    14 Jul '09 04:27
    Wikipedia mentions homosexuality as one of the controversies of the Jesuits.
  5. 14 Jul '09 05:20
    I don't tend to trust wiki. I found this (which agrees with you) in something called "The Weekly Standard"

One man observes: "Several of my former Jesuit friends would mention the large number of gay Jesuits and the impact that had on community life as being a big reason they left. As a relatively young Jesuit who is heterosexual, I believe I am in the minority, and that raises questions." A thirty-five-year-old Jesuit adds: "My novice master left to marry, my formation director left for a relationship with another man, et cetera. One cannot help but get the sense that we of this generation of Jesuits may be the 'last of the Shakers.'"

IT WOULD BE an exaggeration to say there is no concern among superiors at what "Passionate Uncertainty" calls--in a memorable phrase--"the gaying and the graying of the Jesuits." But quite clearly they are willing to tolerate the graying in order to expedite the gaying. The pro-homosexual sympathies of men placed in the gatekeeping positions make it especially difficult for heterosexual--and doctrinally orthodox--candidates to survive the selection process. Men of the type regarded as choice Jesuit material in the 1950s are frequently weeded out before they enter the novitiate. Some years ago an undergraduate at Harvard told me, "From my reading of history I had this idea of Jesuits as bright, kick-ass guys who love the Church. So I thought I'd check them out, and went to talk to the vocation promoter. In the whole hour we spoke he never once asked me about my prayer life or anything like that.
    http://tinyurl.com/nnrgrt
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    14 Jul '09 08:39
    Yeah. And when we wanted rid of the templars, they were called gay as well.
  7. Standard member Scheel
    <blank>
    14 Jul '09 21:10

If you can hardly remember what your class is called are you then certain of what the women said ?
    Anybody know some Jesuits we can ask ?

That appart, who cares, I believe both freedom of religion and sexuality is protected by law. Would you not agree ?
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    14 Jul '09 21:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Scheel
    If you can hardly remember what your class is called are you then certain of what the women said ?

That appart, who cares, I believe both freedom of religion and sexuality is protected by law. Would you not agree ?

Depends which law you refer to. US law, sure. Saudi law or Catholic law? Nope.

Why yes, I do know some Jesuits. I go to a major Jesuit university. Didn't I mention that already?

The woman in question is not a nun or priest though.
  9. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    14 Jul '09 22:47 / 2 edits

Cultural Paradigms of Education. The last class I took was Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students With Exceptional Needs (aka teaching special ed kids). Can you see why I forget the exact names of the courses?

So far I've learned about how race theory says only whites can be racist...gender theory says there may be as many as five genders or more, and only men can be sexist...something about hybrid theory...we get queer theory at some point (only straights can be...sexualityist?) etc. This school is soaked to the gills with extreme left wing politics. They often talk about how they want to subvert the system by brainwashing the children to think like them.

I'm caricaturizing things a bit, but not all that much. Then again they never hid their biases. They revel in them. I'm in a special "Social Justice" program. One of my professors was quite openly gay and Marxist...he even signed his e-mails with "President of LGBT" or something like that and described himself as wanting to be like Dumbledore with his army of children who he's educated in his politics at his back. I'm not as left wing as these people, but I'm not annoyed. I'm just amused.

To give a full perspective of this place (in case anyone cares) the campus is full of really caring and good hearted people. All my interactions with people have led to those people really doing their best to help me out when I had any kind of difficulty. It's a place that seems uniformly good except for the creepy political revolution vibe from some of the faculty.

Then again I'm paying them a flick of a lot of money. I gotta remember, it's a private school...the first one I've been to. Maybe that extra money buys better customer service.
  10. 14 Jul '09 22:53
    I wouldn't trust anything your "cultural diversity" professor says after that little bit of info she passed on to you. It doesn't ring true. Why would any jesuit tell her such a thing? Why would it come up?

No, it doesn't work.
  11. Standard member Scheel
    <blank>
    14 Jul '09 23:05
    Cultural Paradigms of Education. The last class I took was Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students With Exceptional Needs (aka teaching special ed kids). Can you see why I forget the exact names of the courses?

Hmmm, you should stick to science, nobody ever mistook Algebra II for Analysis I.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    15 Jul '09 04:14
    Hmmm, you should stick to science, nobody ever mistook Algebra II for Analysis I.
    My 3.85 GPA in my Master's program suggests I'm not bad at the education thing...but I will be teaching science, so I guess I will be sticking with it.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    15 Jul '09 04:16 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    I wouldn't trust anything your "cultural diversity" professor says after that little bit of info she passed on to you. It doesn't ring true. Why would any jesuit tell her such a thing? Why would it come up?

No, it doesn't work.
    On May 4, 2007, another Drag Show took place at the California Mission Room of Santa Clara University. This is a show where homosexual men disguised as women, and women as men, put on skits and dance performances. Attendees are also encouraged to come dressed "in drag."

Santa Clara University, located near Santa Clara Mission, is in Northern California and is run by Jesuit priests. For the last five years the Jesuits have promoted these shows as part of the educational program for the university's 8,000 students. Needless to say, the initiative is warmly supported by all kinds of gay, lesbian and transgender groups.

http://www.traditioninaction.org/RevolutionPhotos/A210rcJesuitDragShow.htm

The above address has pics!

CNA STAFF, Mar 1, 2009 / 07:46 pm (CNA).- Three Jesuit universities are facing criticism for hosting events promoting sexual license, cross-dressing and homosexual ideologies just as Lent begins, with Georgetown University being accused of promoting only the orthodoxy of “sexual liberation.”

Georgetown University is hosting “Sex Positive Week” from Feb. 23 to 28, an event sponsored by feminist and homosexual student clubs such as GU Pride, United Feminists and Georgetown Solidarity.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=15238

14. 15 Jul '09 07:57

Typical. Only last week some fundamentalist Christian was claiming that the Jesuits infiltrated Protestant churches and if you read some of Jack Chick's more horrendous cartoons, you would also find accusations that Jesuits are involved in secret coups to undermine the Americal government. There have been so many rumours about the Jesuits ever since their inceptions. They were like Opus Dei only ten years ago.
  15. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    15 Jul '09 08:09
    From a purely personal perspective: The jesuit priests I know are a bunch of hard working basterds. I give them that, indeed.

And, as always, as long as they don't fondle kidds IMO they can do with other grown males whatever they want.

But answering your question, ATY: no, I've never heard of that. I've heard of gays and (very sexually active) straights all over the Catholic church. That celibacy thing is just not natural!