Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 22:01
    On 16 June 2016, Jo Cox, a Labour MP, was murdered

Here's an obituary:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/jo-cox-obituary

Jo Cox was a passionate advocate for Syrian refugees. She had enemies,
    of course, and some of their sympathizers may be writing in this forum.
    Some people may argue that she would still be alive today if she had
    kept her voice quiet and devoted herself to bringing up her children.
    Instead, she made a choice to serve more people than her own family.

For those of us who share enough of her ideals, I would submit that the best
    way to honour Jo Cox's memory is by continuing the work that she would have done.
    And that means being unafraid to stand up and speak out on behalf of
    oppressed people with weaker voices, even if one's only a woman, who
    sadly may be too vulnerable to the argument of physical brute force.
    But her murderer may not realize that while brute force can eliminate a
    person, it cannot as surely extinguish an ideal or crush a movement, not
    as long as they are enough of us wheels remaining to support what has
    been set in motion.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 22:181 edit
    Funny how only people with certain points of view get mentioned when they die. Special people get special treatment.

As long as enough people stand up against people like her, her movement will die with her.
  3. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 22:302 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Funny how only people with certain points of view get mentioned when they die. Special people get special treatment.
    As long as enough people stand up against people like her, her movement will die with her.
    Eladar has corroborated my statement that sympathizers of the late Jo Cox's enemies write in this forum.

Shouldn't Eladar write letters of support to Anders Behring Breivik? He also hates Muslims and 'libtards'.
    Unlike Eladar so far, he was more energetic in doing something about it, murdering 77 people.

Smrt fasizmu, sloboda narodu!
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 22:32
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Eladar has corroborated my statement that sympathizers of the late Jo Cox's enemies write in this forum.

Shouldn't Eladar write letters of support to Anders Behring Breivik? He also hates Muslims and 'libtards'.
    Unlike Eladar so far, he was more energetic in doing something about it, murdering 77 people.
    I was just responding to your nutjob post.

I feel no need to speak out on either side and would have said nothing at all if you had not started this thread.
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    16 Jun '16 22:382 edits
    I feel no need to speak out on either side and would have said nothing at all if you had not started this thread.
    Eladar's long record of hateful racism, sexism, and other bigotry is well-known in this forum.
    I have no doubt that, if he had known anything about her, Eladar would have hated Jo Cox.
    I expect that Eladar's sympathies are with the racist extreme-right wing 'Britain First' party.
    Jo Cox's murderer reportedly shouted 'Britain First!' while he was killing her.
    And I would not expect Eladar to do anything more than make an insincere pro forma
    comment expressing any regret about Jo Cox's murder.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 12:46

I don't like to get involved in flame wars, but El, c'mon.

I get that you disagree with Duchess a lot, but how was eulogizing a slain public official and advocating "being unafraid to stand up and speak out on behalf of oppressed people with weaker voices" a "nutjob post"?
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 15:21
    Originally posted by sh76
    I don't like to get involved in flame wars, but El, c'mon.

I get that you disagree with Duchess a lot, but how was eulogizing a slain public official and advocating "being unafraid to stand up and speak out on behalf of oppressed people with weaker voices" a "nutjob post"?
    If you didn't want to get involved maybe you should have pointed out that a truthful comment like "funny how only people with certain points of view get mentioned when they die" should not invoke an offensive response like "Eladar's long record of hateful racism, sexism, and other bigotry is well-known in this forum"
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 15:39
    Originally posted by quackquack
    If you didn't want to get involved maybe you should have pointed out that a truthful comment like "funny how only people with certain points of view get mentioned when they die" should not invoke an offensive response like "Eladar's long record of hateful racism, sexism, and other bigotry is well-known in this forum"
    You know that, forget it. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm out of this thread. Have fun killing each other.
  9. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 16:10
    Originally posted by sh76
    You know that, forget it. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm out of this thread. Have fun killing each other.
    LOL. If we had any brains we'd all take the same approach to this entire forum.
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 17:382 edits
    Originally posted by quackquack to Sh76
    Quackquack has a long record of racism, sexism (including being a rape apologist), bigotry, and lying in this forum.

"...a truthful comment (by Eladar) like 'funny how people with only certain points of view get mentioned when they die'..."
    --Quackquack

That absurd comment by Quackquack shows his usual hateful political fanaticism.
    If *any* MP of *any* party was murdered, the media would cover it, *not* ignore it.

And if any Muslim was the murderer of that MP, then racists and bigots like Eladar or
    Quackquack would be screaming as usual about the necessity of punishing all Muslims.

The British police have found evidence that Thomas Mair, the alleged murderer, had links
    to an American neo-Nazi white racial supremacist group. He presumably hated Jo Cox
    because she had worked hard to bring ('subhuman' ) Syrian children refugees to the UK.
    Eladar and Quackquack have shown that Thomas Mair's evident hateful ideology,
    if not also his deadly actions, have sympathizers in this forum.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 17:434 edits
    Originally posted by sh76 to Quackquack
    It was a nice try by Sh76, a moderate right-wing American, to appeal for some decency.
    But Sh76 has shown that he's unwilling to stand up against the more extreme right-wing
    Americans (who sometimes may be his allies in denouncing the hated 'liberals' or 'leftists' ).

'Have fun killing each other.'
    --Sh76

Thomas Mair, an extreme right-wing white Briton, already got a bang out of doing just that.
    We have not yet begun to fight back.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 19:201 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    It was a nice try by Sh76, a moderate right-wing American, to appeal for some decency.
    But Sh76 has shown that he's unwilling to stand up against the more extreme right-wing
    Americans (who sometimes may be his allies in denouncing the hated 'liberals' or 'leftists' ).

'Have fun killing each other.'
    --Sh76

Thomas Mair, an extreme right-wing white Briton, already got a bang out of doing just that.
    We have not yet begun to fight back.

Correct and more than sufficient.

But...

Not called for. There is a time and place for everything.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 19:25
    Originally posted by sh76 to Quackquack
    Quackquack's a hateful racist, sexist troll without any sense of decency.
    But he's often a useful political ally for other right-wing white men in this forum.
    (Sasquatch672 was an exception, saying that I always have treated him with civility,
    and he respected what I wrote even when he disagreed with it.)

"I will simply note that your own father who knew you from birth realized you were scum and abused you."
    --Quackquack (to Duchess64)

The pathological liar Quackquack has denied that he ever has personally attacked me.
    Quackquack never knew my father and is lying about him. In fact, my father supported
    my education and took pride in my achievements, though complaining that I failed to
    achieve even more.

"Both he (Duchess64's father) and I would have more respect for a pet than we would for you."
    --Quackquack

How nice to have it confirmed that hateful racist sexist Quackquack regards me as subhuman!
    Now Quackquack presumes to put his lying words into my late father's mouth.
    If my father were still alive and heard that, then he would have thrashed Quackquack.
    He believed that hateful racist scum like Quackquack should be wiped off the Earth.

I hardly would be surprised if Quackquack's privately pleased about Jo Cox's murder.
    I could think of worse deaths than Jo Cox's, however, to go out while attempting to
    serve humanity to the best of her ability.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 19:30
    Originally posted by finnegan

Correct and more than sufficient.

But...

Not called for. There is a time and place for everything.
    "Being a woman with an unpopular position invited particular levels of bile....
    She (Jo Cox) received 10 times more internet hate mail than her male co-author."
    --Julian Borger (17 June 2016, on the late Jo Cox)

The war's already begun, and I doubt that Sh76's firmly on our side.
  15. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    17 Jun '16 19:333 edits

]Funny how only people with certain points of view get mentioned when they die.

The murder of Jo Cox has been condemned as an outrage by politicians and others of every political hue, including many who violently disagreed with her values, notably regarding immigration.

They are not outraged because of her values, but because it is outrageous that a politician serving the public should be murdered so brutally. They are not just outraged. They are saddened and upset and shocked.

Jo Cox was available at a drop-in "surgery" in the local public library for anyone at all to come and make representations to her on any topic. That is normal in this country. I see my own MP walking around our town centre frequently. She is pleasant and easy to talk with.

The movement Jo Cox stood for and everyone who mourns her stands for is called democracy.

When you suggest that what happened here was "standing up against people like her" you are actually referring to the brutal murder of a woman conducting herself as a public servant, accessible to all. As even her political rivals have said loudly, democracy needs more people like her, in every party, from every political camp. People who commit their talents and their energy and their passion to achieve a better world through active participation in the democratic process.

The right wing, white racist who murdered her is known to have obtained material about guns and other weapons from an American fascist site. That seems relevant.

You are an advocate of political murder and should, in my opinion, be shunned.