Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 13 Aug '11 22:49
    Wins the Iowa straw poll moments ago with Ron Paul running a close second by about 200 votes.
  2. Standard member Soothfast
    13 Aug '11 22:58
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Wins the Iowa straw poll moments ago with Ron Paul running a close second by about 200 votes.
    She's nuttier than a fruitcake and has more baggage than a luggage carousel at LAX, so bring it on.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    13 Aug '11 22:58
    Would Michelle Bachman beat Barack Obama in a General Election?
  4. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    13 Aug '11 23:01
    Glad Paul came in second.
  5. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    13 Aug '11 23:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not unless the economy falls out of the sky. Or if we defaulted--oh wait, Bachmann would argue that we could afford not to pay our bills, so in that case we'd be okay. Only if the economy falls out of the sky for different reasons.
  6. 13 Aug '11 23:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    I have no idea.
  7. 13 Aug '11 23:11
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    She's nuttier than a fruitcake and has more baggage than a luggage carousel at LAX, so bring it on.
    Clearly, with your positions, the more conservative a candidate, the more nutty they are. The people who will vote for her in primaries and the general aren't you or like you.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    13 Aug '11 23:11
    I have no idea.
    And yet you are sure Obama will lose the next election. Who do you reckon it will be that will beat him?
  9. 13 Aug '11 23:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'd take that chance, although I'd prefer Ron Paul.

I certainly don't want a candidate who is so close to Obama there isn't discernable difference.

How about anyone different from both G.W. Bush and Barrak Obama?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    13 Aug '11 23:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I'd take that chance, although I'd prefer Ron Paul.
    I'm not talking about who you'd prefer. I'm asking you if you think Bachmann would beat Obama in a head to head race for the presidency?
  11. 13 Aug '11 23:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    And yet you are sure Obama will lose the next election. Who do you reckon it will be that will beat him?
    I believe that Obama might win if Republicans nominate another establishment candidate in the mold of John McCain.

If the GOP candidate is not sufficiently conservative, and acceptable to the Tea Party, there will be a 3rd Party candidate who will guarantee an Obama win. That is better than electing a RINO who will just do the same things that Obama has been doing.

From the end of Reagan's second term we have 12 year of GOP and 12 of Dems. There is almost a steady trend of more spending, bigger government, and reduced individual liberty, expansion of entitlements, more foreign wars, and for all the partisan arguing, very little change from one administration to the other.
  12. 13 Aug '11 23:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm not talking about who you'd prefer. I'm asking you if you think Bachmann would beat Obama in a head to head race for the presidency?
    Yes I think she could. I'm not so presumptuous as to know the result a year and a half in the future.
  13. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    13 Aug '11 23:46
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Glad Paul came in second.
    Why are so many people taken in by Paul's snake oil charm? The American Journal of Political Science found Paul to be the most conservative of all 3,320 members of Congress from 1937 to 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_paul#Political_positions).
  14. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    13 Aug '11 23:47
    I have no idea.
    I think you do.
  15. 14 Aug '11 00:36
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Why are so many people taken in by Paul's snake oil charm? The American Journal of Political Science found Paul to be the most conservative of all 3,320 members of Congress from 1937 to 2002 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_paul#Political_positions).
    What's wrong with that? Certainly reasonable people can agree that views on the most effective way to govern a nation could vary widely. People disagree on things like the best way to grow tomatoes, certainly the governance of a nation is much more complicated.