Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Stargazing
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 23:59
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/26/laura-plummer-jailed-for-three-years-for-smuggling-drugs-into-egypt

Extreme Islam terrorises Egypt for being moderate.

Jesus wept.
  2. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:04
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/dec/26/laura-plummer-jailed-for-three-years-for-smuggling-drugs-into-egypt

Extreme Islam terrorises Egypt for being moderate.

Jesus wept.
    Your comment doesn't seem to have anything to do with the linked article.
  3. Stargazing
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:191 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Your comment doesn't seem to have anything to do with the linked article.
    Egypt is supposed to be a moderate Islamist country but look how it’s bahaving here. The core Islamic countries persecute Egypt for being moderate in its approach to Islam and somewhat more open to western culture and religion. That core Islam persecute Egypt and yet Egypt passes a judgements such as this seems to cast a little more perspective on core Islam itself.

What do you think?
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:22
    Egypt is supposed to be a moderate Islamist country but look how it’s bahaving here. The core Islamic countries persecute Egypt for being moderate in its approach to Islam and somewhat more open to western culture and religion. That core Islam persecute Egypt and yet Egypt passes a judgements such as this seems to cast a little more perspective on core Islam itself.

What do you think?
    So you don't think Western countries punish people for smuggling illegal drugs across their borders?
  5. Stargazing
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:24
    So you don't think Western countries punish people for smuggling illegal drugs across their borders?
    Oh dear.
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:261 edit
    Oh dear.
    Please answer the question as that is what the article is talking about. Possession of Tramadol without a prescription is a crime in at the US, UK, Australia and Sweden.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol#Legal_status
  7. Stargazing
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:29
    Please answer the question as that is what the article is talking about.
    You know your right, I can see the point you are making, she broke the law so screw her, she deserves the three years. In fact the called for death penalty would not have been out of order. Thanks for your help there.
  8. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:32
    You know your right, I can see the point you are making, she broke the law so screw her, she deserves the three years. In fact the called for death penalty would not have been out of order. Thanks for your help there.
    What do you think people usually get for possession of large amounts of opioids?
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:33
    Its clear Obama didn't punish Hezbola
  10. Stargazing
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:331 edit
    What do you think people usually get for possession of large amounts of opioids?
    As I said, your fine, I’m convinced by your legal stoicism. I’ll look you up when I next need a lawyer.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:41
    Your right? The right to post Islamic moderate sites?
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:42
    Apparently you can get two years in jail for such possession in the UK as it's a Class C drug. https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/possession-of-a-controlled-drug/

Apparently mere possession of Tramadol can get you 1-3 years in Illinois. https://chicagocriminaldefenselawyer.com/practice-areas/drug-crimes/schedule-iii-iv-and-v-drugs/

It's also likely that lugging around 290 Tramadol pills could upgrade the charge to trafficking which has higher penalties.

So Egypt's treatment of this crime isn't much different than the UK's or the US'. That kinda blows your implied "look how savage those Muslims are compared to us enlightened Westerners" spiel out of the water.
  13. Stargazing
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:492 edits
    So Egypt's treatment of this crime isn't much different than the UK's or the US'. That kinda blows your implied "look how savage those Muslims are compared to us enlightened Westerners" spiel out of the water.
    Really? I’m sure this spiel from you makes sense to yourself from behind your pro-bono desk in deepest Westernville. In most Islamic counties if you transport just a bottle of alcohol in your car you could receive the death penalty. Have you personally ever travelled in an Islamic country No1...Or are you just referring to your googled notes on the subject?

Tell me, when was the last time someone in the US or the UK received a similar penalty for a similar crime? And I mean similar in contex of what was being transported.
  14. Stargazing
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:50
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Your right? The right to post Islamic moderate sites?
    Wut?
  15. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:52
    Really? I’m sure this spiel from you makes sense to yourself from behind your pro-bono desk in deepest Westerville. In most Islamic counties if you transport just a bottle of alcohol in your car you could receive the death penalty. Have you personally ever travelled in an Islamic country No1...Or are you just referring to your googled notes on the subj ...[text shortened]... en was the last time someone in the US or the UK received a similar penalty for a similar crime?
    Sure as soon as you tell me the last time someone was executed in a Muslim country for having a bottle of alcohol in their car.