Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 05 Jul '10 22:35
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/05/nasa-chief-frontier-better-relations-muslims/

I read this and had to laugh. Just goes to show how pathetic Obama acutally is.

Though international diplomacy would seem well outside NASA's orbit, Bolden said in an interview with Al Jazeera that strengthening those ties was among the top tasks President Obama assigned him.

Using NASA to reach out to the Muslim world. That's aboslutly idiotic to me. Pehaps some on the left might want to explain why it's not.
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    05 Jul '10 23:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    [/b]http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/07/05/nasa-chief-frontier-better-relations-muslims/

I read this and had to laugh. Just goes to show how pathetic Obama acutally is.

Though international diplomacy would seem well outside NASA's orbit, Bolden said in an interview with Al Jazeera that strengthening those ties was among the top tasks President Ob ...[text shortened]... That's aboslutly idiotic to me. Pehaps some on the left might want to explain why it's not.
    Do all the inmates at the asylum where you are housed laugh as much as you do?
  3. 06 Jul '10 00:30
    Go Domers!
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Jul '10 01:03 / 1 edit
    Using NASA to reach out to the Muslim world. That's aboslutly idiotic to me.
    Can't see your problem with this really. U.S. technological achievement, exuberance and ambition, is much admired in my part of the "Muslim world", especially by moderates and modernizers.

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden: "[Obama] wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science and math and engineering."

I think NASA promoting itself in the "Muslim world" would provide a poignant antidote and alternative vision to the obsessive vacuousness of Islamic madrasa and pesantren where the great historical academic and cultural advances that sprung from the Islamic world, that contributed so much to Western civilization and to 'progress' in centuries past, are smothered and overlooked by a backward curriculum that is much at odds with the Muslim mainstream, and yet sadly still quite influential.

Why do you think it's "idiotic"?
  5. 06 Jul '10 01:06
    The problem is that NASA is supposed to have the mission of developing a space program. It isn't supposed to be a poltical organization used to reach political goals. Just goes to show how little respect Obama really has for things like NASA.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Jul '10 01:16
    The problem is that NASA is supposed to have the mission of developing a space program. It isn't supposed to be a poltical organization used to reach political goals.
    I don't think that's true. I think NASA has been a political and cultural, as well as a scientific, entity since its inception. It represents U.S. technological dominance and is therefore, like or not, a potent propaganda weapon - and always has been. Idiotic? On the contrary, I think this modest move shows a vision for a future, where the world comes together a little bit more, that is a tad more three dimensional than your rather smallminded "Just goes to show how little respect Obama really has for things like NASA" comment reveals you to be.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Jul '10 01:18
    It isn't supposed to be a poltical organization used to reach political goals.
    You seem to lack imagination. Do you come from the same country that gave us NASA?
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    06 Jul '10 01:45
    The problem is that NASA is supposed to have the mission of developing a space program. It isn't supposed to be a poltical organization used to reach political goals. Just goes to show how little respect Obama really has for things like NASA.
    Certain Muslim countries have a lot of cash lying around. Be nice if we could convince them to spend some of it to advance space exploration rather than build a few more palaces or funnel it to Osama Bin-Ladens.
  9. 06 Jul '10 02:07
    and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering," Bolden said in the interview.

Nothing about money, just to try to make them feel good about their historic contributions to math and engineering.

NASA for Obama is not about space, it's about using it for propaganda. Go into science and math so that you can one day work for NASA. This means that you can go out and tell other people to take math and science classes.
  10. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jul '10 02:08
    Landing a man on the Moon was done as much for political reasons as any other reason.
  11. 06 Jul '10 02:21
    I think that you will agree that it is a totally different form of politics. I think you will agree that sending a man to the moon was actually part of a space program.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Jul '10 02:46
    I think that you will agree that it is a totally different form of politics. I think you will agree that sending a man to the moon was actually part of a space program.
    Yes, but government is government. The President supervises all administrative agencies. If he wants the head of the SEC to make him coffee or the head of the FDA for an opinion on higher education, that's his prerogative. I have no major problem with it. If it starts interfering with NASA's functioning in other respects, then we'll have what to complain about.
  13. 06 Jul '10 11:22
    It's baffling that in desperation to lash out at Obama the OP autistically fails to recognize that NASA always has been a propaganda tool. NASA is a symbol of great technological and cultural achievement, a flagship of American innovative spirit. But apparently, Eladar does not share such a spirit.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    06 Jul '10 11:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    But apparently, Eladar does not share such a spirit.
    Yep. I suppose vinegar is not a spirit.
  15. 06 Jul '10 14:00
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yes, but government is government. The President supervises all administrative agencies. If he wants the head of the SEC to make him coffee or the head of the FDA for an opinion on higher education, that's his prerogative. I have no major problem with it. If it starts interfering with NASA's functioning in other respects, then we'll have what to complain about.
    If the position is really that irrelevant, then pehaps we should do away with it. I bet we'd save the governement better than 100K with just that one 'job'.