Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 15:56
    With all this talk of declaration of national emergencies, I got to thinking, what constitutes a national emergency? Are there any parameters?

“Every collectivist revolution rides in on a Trojan horse of 'emergency'. It was the tactic of Lenin, Hitler, and Mussolini. In the collectivist sweep over a dozen minor countries of Europe, it was the cry of men striving to get on horseback. And 'emergency' became the justification of the subsequent steps. This technique of creating emergency is the greatest achievement that demagoguery attains.”

~ Herbert Hoover
    (1874-1964), 31st US President
  2. Germany
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 16:23
    Illegal immigration across the southern border dropping by 75% since 2000 probably doesn't count as a "national emergency."
  3. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 16:45
    @whodey said
    With all this talk of declaration of national emergencies, I got to thinking, what constitutes a national emergency? Are there any parameters?

“Every collectivist revolution rides in on a Trojan horse of 'emergency'. It was the tactic of Lenin, Hitler, and Mussolini. In the collectivist sweep over a dozen minor countries of Europe, it was the cry of men striving to get on ...[text shortened]... greatest achievement that demagoguery attains.”

~ Herbert Hoover
    Good source.
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 17:04
    @whodey said

“Every collectivist revolution rides in on a Trojan horse of 'emergency'. It was the tactic of Lenin, Hitler, and Mussolini. In the collectivist sweep over a dozen minor countries of Europe, it was the cry of men striving to get on ...[text shortened]... greatest achievement that demagoguery attains.”

~ Herbert Hoover
    Correct.
    And the current president is doing the same to push forward what is basically a dumb idea.
    Only for political purposes to secure his base.
    And to perpetuate the "promises kept" mantra for his rallies.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 19:073 edits
    @kazetnagorra said
    Illegal immigration across the southern border dropping by 75% since 2000 probably doesn't count as a "national emergency."
    I just love how they supposedly do these statistics

What do they do, sit up at night watching who crosses the border and checking a box as they do while not trying to stop them?

It's like the argument that drugs that kill about 300 Americans a day are coming into US ports instead of across the border. What do they do, just check a box when they see cartons of heroin come into a country and let them on through?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 19:12
    @whodey said

What do they do, sit up at night watching who crosses the border and checking a box as they do while not trying to stop them?

It's like the argument that drugs that kill about 300 Americans a day are coming into US ports instead of across the border. What do they do, just check a box when they see cartons of heroin come into a country and let them on through?

They infer the total number by considering, among other things, the number of people that is apprehended at the border attempting to cross illegally.

What do they do, just check a box when they see cartons of heroin come into a country and let them on through?

They infer the total shipments of drugs by considering, among other things, the amount that has been uncovered through law enforcement operations.

What do you think they do?
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    13 Jan '19 20:25
    @whodey said

I would suggest most of the drugs that contribute to your statistics are coming from China.
    Canada has a similar problem to US.
    At the same scale based on population.

Now tell us why you really want the wall.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 00:29
    @whodey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Emergencies_Act
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 02:04
    @mghrn55 said
    I would suggest most of the drugs that contribute to your statistics are coming from China.
    Canada has a similar problem to US.
    At the same scale based on population.

Now tell us why you really want the wall.
    Did you INFER that?

Mwhahahaha!

I just crack myself up some days!
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 07:34
    @whodey said
    Did you INFER that?

Mwhahahaha!

That was funny whodey, in the past kaka notion has shown a woeful understanding of stats, grabbing any old thing and waving them about like a wand.

I wouldn't mind seeing the method behind the 75% number..
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 09:491 edit
    @whodey said

~ Herbert Hoover
    Says the man that brought us the Great Depression.

Also says Wikipedia: "Hoover blamed Mexicans for the economic downturn, and championed a mass deportation which became known as the Mexican Repatriation program. This forced migration of approximately 500,000 to 2 million people to Mexico continued until 1936, after Hoover had left office. An estimated sixty percent of those deported were birthright citizens. Because the forced movement was based on race, and ignored citizenship, the process is seen as meeting modern standards for ethnic cleansing."

Sounds like a great guy. Another Republican creating a national emergency through his own mismanagement and blaming everyone except himself. I can see why whodey loves him.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 11:191 edit
    @suzianne said
    Says the man that brought us the Great Depression.

Also says Wikipedia: "Hoover blamed Mexicans for the economic downturn, and championed a mass deportation which became known as the Mexican Repatriation program. This forced migration of approximately 500,000 to 2 million people to Mexico continued until 1936, after Hoover had left office. An estimated sixty percent of ...[text shortened]... through his own mismanagement and blaming everyone except himself. I can see why whodey loves him.
    At least Hoover did not lock them up in concentration camps even though they were innocent US citizens cuz they had slanty eyes

Pot, meet kettle.

How many Republicans keep referring to Hoover as their idol like Dims keep referring to FDR?

Hmm?
  13. Germany
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 15:39
    @whodey said
    Did you INFER that?

Mwhahahaha!

Did you learn a new word?

If you don't think the number of illegal crossings across the southern border can be estimated, why are you worried about the number?
  14. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 16:20
    @whodey said
    Did you INFER that?

Mwhahahaha!

Why don't you tell me which part of my post cracks you up.
    There are about 50000 opiod deaths per year in the US. 5000 in Canada.
    Roughly.
    With US having about 10x the population of Canada, the numbers make sense.

Up here, we don't talk about Mexico in the fentanyl problem.
    General fact here in Canada is that majority of the drugs come from China.

So the question on the table once again.
    Why exactly do you want the wall ?
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jan '19 20:061 edit
    @whodey said
    At least Hoover did not lock them up in concentration camps even though they were innocent US citizens cuz they had slanty eyes

Pot, meet kettle.

How many Republicans keep referring to Hoover as their idol like Dims keep referring to FDR?

Hmm?
    More "whataboutism".

I know you got nothing else, but damn, it gets old.