Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 20 Jun '14 10:45
    Now that the think tank in Washington have turned their attention to an NFL team now that the Middle East is going up in flames, what should we rename the team?

How about?

1. "Wild Savages"

2. "Washington scum"

3. As Harry Reid might name them, "Dark skinned players with negro dialects".

What say you?
  2. 20 Jun '14 11:08
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone concerned that the government just came in and took away a patent from this team?

Should the government be allowed to freely take away trademark names if it is deemed good for our "General Welfare"?
  3. 20 Jun '14 11:24
    Breaking News:
    Washington Redskins drop the word "Washington" from their name because it's embarrassing.
  4. 20 Jun '14 11:32
    Since this is a result of an action brought by a native american group protesting something being named for them I think we should give them what they want and ban any and all names and references to them , any city, county, high school/college, business, anything with a ref to native americans or one of their tribes should be banned and renamed.
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Jun '14 12:47
    Originally posted by Krod Mandoon
    Since this is a result of an action brought by a native american group protesting something being named for them I think we should give them what they want and ban any and all names and references to them , any city, county, high school/college, business, anything with a ref to native americans or one of their tribes should be banned and renamed.
    That's an idiotic statement. "Redskins" is a slur.
  6. 20 Jun '14 12:48
    Is Redskins more offensive than certain rap lyrics? Next will we deny copyright rights for "art" that is deemed offensive or is there something about a trademark that makes it different?
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Jun '14 12:55
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Is Redskins more offensive than certain rap lyrics? Next will we deny copyright rights for "art" that is deemed offensive or is there something about a trademark that makes it different?
    How about the NFL creates a team called "The Rednecks"? Still "art"?
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    20 Jun '14 13:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just out of curiosity, is anyone concerned that the government just came in and took away a patent from this team?

Should the government be allowed to freely take away trademark names if it is deemed good for our "General Welfare"?
    The relevant portion of the Lanham Act reads as follows:

§1052. Trademarks registrable on the principal register; concurrent registration
    No trademark by which the goods of the applicant may be distinguished from the goods of others shall be refused registration on the principal register on account of its nature unless it--

(a)

Consists of or comprises immoral, deceptive, or scandalous matter; or matter which may disparage or falsely suggest a connection with persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols, or bring them into contempt, or disrepute;

http://www.bitlaw.com/source/15usc/1052.html

A trademark is a special privilege granted to a person or group giving them exclusive rights to a term. No, I'm not overly concerned that a government board ruled in favor of a group contesting the propriety of granting a trademark to a racial slur. The law seems to clearly bar it from trademark protection and earlier rulings to the contrary seem clearly to have been in error.
  9. 20 Jun '14 13:07
    Originally posted by vivify
    How about the NFL creates a team called "The Rednecks"? Still "art"?
    Ever hear of the Runnin' Rebels, or the Saints, or the Fighting Irish? I suggest keeping the name and changing the logo to a Mr. Potato head figure, perhaps with a feather in his headband.
  10. Standard member vivify
    rain
    20 Jun '14 13:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Ever hear of the Runnin' Rebels, or the Saints, or the Fighting Irish? I suggest keeping the name and changing the logo to a Mr. Potato head figure, perhaps with a feather in his headband.
    I don't know the history of those names, or if those terms are considered offensive. I do know that "redkins" isn't merely a referential term, but a slur. Slurs have no part in civilized society.
  11. 20 Jun '14 13:47
    I don't know the history of those names, or if those terms are considered offensive. I do know that "redkins" isn't merely a referential term, but a slur. Slurs have no part in civilized society.
    The law suit is brought by five Native Americans who are offended. The majority of Native Americans don't care.

In Florida Native Americans approved of the name Seminoles. Central Michigan U is known as Chippewas, and various cities and towns all over the country have Indian names.

Too many people are offended by totally incidental references, but thankfully most don't care. If it were truly so offensive it would be reflected in the sales of NFL gear. Every single logo could possibly offend someone.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    20 Jun '14 13:53
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The law suit is brought by five Native Americans who are offended. The majority of Native Americans don't care.

In Florida Native Americans approved of the name Seminoles. Central Michigan U is known as Chippewas, and various cities and towns all over the country have Indian names.

Too many people are offended by totally incidental references, but ...[text shortened]... t would be reflected in the sales of NFL gear. Every single logo could possibly offend someone.
    Are you really that thick? You can't see the difference between using tribal names and using "redskins"?
  13. 20 Jun '14 14:02
    That's an idiotic statement. "Redskins" is a slur.
    This looks like a pretty kickazz symbol to me I don't see how it could be considered a slur:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=809&q=washington+redskins&oq=wash&gs_l=img.1.9.0l10.2628.3900.0.8264.4.4.0.0.0.0.145.514.0j4.4.0....0...1ac.1.47.img..0.4.509.caYr3k14eKk#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=ibrvEABAgxrk8M%253A%3BwlET31TvPeS5hM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ospreydawn.com%252Fassets%252Fimages%252Fwork%252Fblog%252FNFCE-Washington.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fospreydawn.com%252Fblog%252F2013%252F09%252F16%252FWashington%3B1920%3B1080
  14. 20 Jun '14 14:22
    Now that the think tank in Washington have turned their attention to an NFL team now that the Middle East is going up in flames, what should we rename the team?

How about?

1. "Wild Savages"

2. "Washington scum"

3. As Harry Reid might name them, "Dark skinned players with negro dialects".

What say you?
    how about you actually ask some native americans if they are ok with you naming a washington nfl team after them? even if you would use a term they would agree on?
  15. 20 Jun '14 14:24

"Should the government be allowed to freely take away trademark names if it is deemed good for our "General Welfare""

yes