Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 09:36
    Names head of the Republican National Committee, Reince Preibus, White House Chief of Staff. http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-immigration-20161113-story.html

Hmmm .........................................
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 09:56
    YouTube
    it is relevant at about 2:30: Christ Christie plus Giuliani. added bonus: a guy who thinks global warming is "silly" and someone who thinks homosexuality is a choice
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 09:57
    It has been speculated that Ben Carson will be secretary of education
  4. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 10:241 edit
    Yesterday he also said that he had "No problem" with the SCOTUS decision to strike down State laws banning same sex marriages. I wonder if that's a position the 81% of evangelicals who voted for him realized he held.

EDIT: Probably not since in January on Fox News he had said he disagreed with the ruling and would "strongly consider" appointing justices who would overturn it.http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/01/trump-suggests-overturning-same-sex-marriage.html
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 11:56
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yesterday he also said that he had "No problem" with the SCOTUS decision to strike down State laws banning same sex marriages. I wonder if that's a position the 81% of evangelicals who voted for him realized he held.

EDIT: Probably not since in January on Fox News he had said he disagreed with the ruling and would "strongly consider" appointing justic ...[text shortened]... t.http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/01/trump-suggests-overturning-same-sex-marriage.html
    This is the problem, I'm not sure even he knows what his position is. It's what has led most people to say that he just says what the people in the room at the time want to hear.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:03
    Names head of the Republican National Committee, Reince Preibus, White House Chief of Staff. http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-immigration-20161113-story.html

Hmmm .........................................
    Preibus is a good choice. It's Bannon that has me concerned.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is the problem, I'm not sure even he knows what his position is. It's what has led most people to say that he just says what the people in the room at the time want to hear.
    It was obvious from his 60 Minutes interview that he has no intention of trying to roll back same sex marriage.

I'd think that gay rights advocates would be relieved.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Trump said, "If you like your fence you will be able to keep your fence, and it will be affordable." 😵
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:091 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    It was obvious from his 60 Minutes interview that he has no intention of trying to roll back same sex marriage.

Which means he has no intention of overturning Roe vs. Wade either.

The system truly is rigged.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:121 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Which means he has no intention of overturning Roe vs. Wade either.

The system truly is rigged.
    Actually, he was much more hostile to abortion rights.

Though it's true that the same Justices who are anti-abortion are more likely to be anti-same sex marriage and vice versa.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 15:23

Though it's true that the same Justices who are anti-abortion are more likely to be anti-same sex marriage and vice versa.
    Trump just needs to go on "Star Search" and find that ever elusive candidate who is ant-abortion but pro-gay marriage.

He could pick me. I support the government getting out of the marriage business altogether.

Maybe if I paint myself orange.
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 16:54
    Preibus is a good choice. It's Bannon that has me concerned.
    Good choice or not, it renders dubious the claims that Trump is some outsider who was going to "drain the swamp" in Washington of insiders.

Bannon's a bone to alt-right; doubt he'll be in there very long. Amusingly, he's another ex-Goldman Sachs guy.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 17:05

Enter a radical homophobe who feels cheated by Donald Trump and feels like exercising his Second Amendment rights...
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 17:151 edit

It would be interesting to hear a principled legal argument that would support Obergefell v. Hodges but oppose Roe v. Wade.
  15. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Nov '16 18:09
    It would be interesting to hear a principled legal argument that would support Obergefell v. Hodges but oppose Roe v. Wade.
    The only principle you'd need to accept to reconcile those positions would be that a fetus has a right to life.