Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    11 Feb '10 11:12
    I saw a clip of her working over the faithful and in full stride I caught myself musing, that while most commentators have written her off, there seems to be something undeniably applealing in her sophistication is evil rant and that taxation and social welfare are nothing but the wiles of Satan to lure the upstanding citizen down that treacherous pathway that leads inevitably to Godless commie tyranny.

What made me think was not that she was that over the top to make even the GOP faithful mildly embarrased, was that the very same people also said we'll have an inarticulate clown for 8 years. Given that proven track record of an electorate willing to go to any lengths to bury its collective conscience in the sand, as long as taxes went down and oil was cheap, given that this seems to be her platform, why would'nt people suspend their disbelief and back the ticket that promises to put more in their pocket.

The fact that the political system and the cult of personality has now fully merged into a hyped up stream of infotainment consciousness should tell us that anyone can be shaped into being a winning ticket. At the end of the day the number of people who even bother to get close to serious news and issues are that small in number, it doesnt matter what educated people think anymore. Palin's very selection as candidate. Come to thnk of it dubyas 8 years proved it. The office of the President of the United States of America is now more than ever totally redundant. An entertaining sideshow that diverts attention away from the real game in town.

Can I get an amen?
  2. 11 Feb '10 11:17
    The question is: how stupid can a presidential candidate be in order to still be electable? We all know that George W. managed to get elected, but isn't he slightly less stupid than Palin? The Republicans need the moderate conservative votes like sh76's, and I don't think she is credible to that group.
  3. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Feb '10 11:52
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The question is: how stupid can a presidential candidate be in order to still be electable? We all know that George W. managed to get elected, but isn't he slightly less stupid than Palin? The Republicans need the moderate conservative votes like sh76's, and I don't think she is credible to that group.
    So. Just so we're clear. Bush was NOT a pilf, right?
  4. 11 Feb '10 12:10
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe to some.
  5. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    11 Feb '10 13:13 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Maybe in San Francisco?

[edit] how sexist of me to ignore the other 50%..OF course ..I mean Laura obviously thought so....[/edit]
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Feb '10 14:50
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Well, thank you for the compliment, anyway.

Actually, I think GW Bush was not stupid. I think he is of slightly above average intelligence. He was never a great public speaker; but they say that in private meetings, he's much more on the ball.

One thing that his Presidency taught me was that that's not good enough for the President. A President has to be smart; preferably very smart. I forget who it was, but I remember hearing that one Supreme Court nominee, when faced with criticism that he was a mediocre intellect, quipped "Mediocre people need representation too." All fine and good; but not for the President.

Before Bush got elected, I figured that the President needs to pick good people to surround him/her and have the wisdom and guts to make the tough but necessary yes/no calls. I now believe the President also needs the intelligence and wisdom be be flexible and pragmatic; to know when to step back and look at the bigger picture.

Palin, unfortunately, strikes me as being of, at best, average intelligence; perhaps lower than average. I just don't think that she's have the wisdom and flexibility necessary to make a good commander in chief.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Feb '10 15:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    I think GW Bush was not stupid.
    I think rising to the top with ordinary talents takes smarts.

People who call him stupid should read some of the serious books about him. He was a canny politician.

Personally I happen to think he is not religious (an inconsequential theory - or gut feeling - of mine). And yet that was the rather unforgiving arena where we see some of his most astute triangulations (or deft vacuums). And he pulled them off with aplomb. Clever stuff.
  8. 11 Feb '10 15:56 / 2 edits
    I am by no means a moderate and find very little value in Palin as a politician. Having said that, she can now sit back and be a political pundit and attack those who made her life hell during her Vice Presidential bid. Its called sweet revenge.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Feb '10 16:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    [Palin] can now sit back and be a political pundit and attack those who made her life hell during her Vice Presidential bid.
    You have a lot to learn about celebrity life and what makes people who seek the public eye tick.

Palin had the absolute time of her life during her Vice Presidential bid.

Palin's personal "hell"? How funny.

Your mindmap is no different from the sad and sincere empty vessels on www.freerepublic.com who chart their three-talking-points-at-a-time-lives by way of vicarious adoration and vicarious hatred and who allow others to pour nonsense into them while mistaking it for having some kind of inside line.
  10. 11 Feb '10 17:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think rising to the top with ordinary talents takes smarts.

People who call him stupid should read some of the serious books about him. He was a canny politician.

Personally I happen to think he is not religious (an inconsequential theory - or gut feeling - of mine). And yet that was the rather unforgiving arena where we see some of his most astute triangulations (or deft vacuums). And he pulled them off with aplomb. Clever stuff.
    Thread 126845: GWB: Miss Me Yet?
  11. 11 Feb '10 17:05
    Originally posted by whodey
    I am by no means a moderate and find very little value in Palin as a politician. Having said that, she can now sit back and be a political pundit and attack those who made her life hell during her Vice Presidential bid. Its called sweet revenge.
    In a way, Palin right now has found her perfect role. She can give lots of speeches to her adoring fans. She does have a great deal of charisma. She'll probably make tons of money for years to come.

It's also perfect for the media and the satirists - there is no better fish in the barrel to shoot at than the Palin-fish - and no matter how many shots they take at her, the listeners still want more.

This in turn allows Palin to rail again and again against the media for the terrible way it's portraying her, which provides lots of redmeat for her fan-base who will then send lots of greenbacks to Palin.

Now, if Palin really is lacking in intelligence, she'll threaten this very profitable arrangement by running for president. Actually, she'd make out very nicely if she was to lose -- the big risk for Palin is that there would be that outside chance that she'd win.
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Feb '10 17:11
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    In a way, Palin right now has found her perfect role. She can give lots of speeches to her adoring fans. She does have a great deal of charisma. She'll probably make tons of money for years to come.

It's also perfect for the media and the satirists - there is no better fish in the barrel to shoot at than the Palin-fish - and no matter how many shots th ...[text shortened]... lose -- the big risk for Palin is that there would be that outside chance that she'd win.
    Profitable? Big deal. She'll always be able to make as much money as she wants at this point. How much money does she need already? She can afford all the moose hunting gear she needs.

It's about power and influence now, not money.
  13. 11 Feb '10 17:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    You have a lot to learn about celebrity life and what makes people who seek the public eye tick.

Palin had the absolute time of her life during her Vice Presidential bid.

Palin's personal "hell"? How funny.

Your mindmap is no different from the sad and sincere empty vessels on www.freerepublic.com who chart their three-talking-points-at-a-time-lives by ...[text shortened]... low others to pour nonsense into them while mistaking it for having some kind of inside line.
    You sound a tad cynical FMF.
  14. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    11 Feb '10 18:15
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Now, if Palin really is lacking in intelligence, she'll threaten this very profitable arrangement by running for president. Actually, she'd make out very nicely if she was to lose -- the big risk for Palin is that there would be that outside chance that she'd win.
    I really don't think she's going to run. Even if she's leaving the option open in her mind for now, it should become apparent to her in time that she will still have too many detractors in the GOP. In the end I'll bet she just positions herself as a king-maker by endorsing a true conservative for President that moderate GOPers and Tea Partiers alike can stand to vote for. Someone like Paul Ryan, perhaps, and hopefully NOT Romney or Huckabee.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    11 Feb '10 18:23
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    I really don't think she's going to run. Even if she's leaving the option open in her mind for now, it should become apparent to her in time that she will still have too many detractors in the GOP. In the end I'll bet she just positions herself as a king-maker by endorsing a true conservative for President that moderate GOPers and Tea Partiers alike can stand to vote for. Someone like Paul Ryan, perhaps, and hopefully NOT Romney or Huckabee.
    John Thune, whom I pegged as a dark horse months ago for 2012 GOP nominee, is now up to 11.2 on intrade, behind only Romney and Palin. If I were an intrade kind of guy, I'd drop a few bucks on Thune. I'm not saying he's going to win, but I think his stock will rise dramatically at some point between now and the nomination.