Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    09 Feb '10 02:44
    Whats the point, huh?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    09 Feb '10 04:13
    First explain to me the point of having a pet.
  3. 09 Feb '10 04:25
    Originally posted by sh76
    First explain to me the point of having a pet.
    Dogs are great protection. They tip you off of an intruder around or better yet attack one!. At the very least they as a deterrent.
    They truly are mans best friend.
    They never nag on you to take out the garbage or to mow the lawn.They don't care how much beer you drink and they don't want your money.
  4. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    09 Feb '10 04:37
    It just drives me crazy when I see these old ladies driving 30 miles an hour on the freeway with a "teacup chihuahua" sitting on the steering wheel, or the losers who walk around with a dog in a backpack. Doesn't that destroy the free spirit of dog?
  5. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Feb '10 05:35
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    Dogs are great protection. They tip you off of an intruder around or better yet attack one!. At the very least they as a deterrent.
    Is having a dog attack someone who may inadvertently be on your property covered by the 2nd Amendment?
  6. 09 Feb '10 05:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Is having a dog attack someone who may inadvertently be on your property covered by the 2nd Amendment?
    I don't believe so. But,thats you'r area of expertise not mine.
    I was referring more to like, inside the house, a "break-in".
  7. 09 Feb '10 05:54
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    It just drives me crazy when I see these old ladies driving 30 miles an hour on the freeway with a "teacup chihuahua" sitting on the steering wheel, or the losers who walk around with a dog in a backpack. Doesn't that destroy the free spirit of dog?
    I often times have a big German Sheppard/Husky mix (100 lbs.) sitting in the passenger seat of my pick-up. She looks just like a k-9. Well behaved ,clean but no ones coming near that truck!
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Feb '10 06:02
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I was referring more to like, inside the house, a "break-in".
    I suppose someone breaking in - and tresspassing in that sense - might get what's coming to them. What about someone with wholly innocent intentions on your property, perhaps mistakenly? If they are savaged by your dog, while on your property, are you in the clear do you think? It's just that you talked about using an animal as a kind of defensive 'weapon'. I wonder if you've thought through your liabilities and rights. I'm not a dog owner, so I haven't. I'm genuinely curious.
  9. 09 Feb '10 06:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    I suppose someone breaking in - and tresspassing in that sense - might get what's coming to them. What about someone with wholly innocent intentions on your property, perhaps mistakenly? If they are savaged by your dog, while on your property, are you in the clear do you think? It's just that you talked about using an animal as a kind of defensive 'weapon'. I wo ...[text shortened]... h your liabilities and rights. I'm not a dog owner, so I haven't. I'm genuinely curious.
    My yard is fenced in. 6' high privacy fence. no chance of an accidental trespasser or the dogs getting out. But even so,dogs normally bark and alert you of someones presence ( at least mine do). This would also discourage an intruder from actually attempting to climb over the fence.
  10. 09 Feb '10 12:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You forgot to use sarcasm font
  11. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Feb '10 12:58
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    You forgot to use sarcasm font
    Why would I? Irony is irony. If you struggle with it, ignore it. Or throw a tizzy. Someone like you telling someone like me how to write a post is worth a chuckle.
  12. 09 Feb '10 13:45
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Whats the point, huh?
    I wouldn't mind it so much if people would bring pets other than dogs.

it would be fun to be at a park where someone was taking their cat for a walk.
  13. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    09 Feb '10 17:59
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I wouldn't mind it so much if people would bring pets other than dogs.

it would be fun to be at a park where someone was taking their cat for a walk.
    cats don't need walks. They don't need to be part of pack where some leader is telling them how to behave all the time. Cats aren't the sheep that dogs are.
  14. 09 Feb '10 18:10
    Originally posted by uzless
    cats don't need walks. They don't need to be part of pack where some leader is telling them how to behave all the time. Cats aren't the sheep that dogs are.
    I agree. I love cats too and have 4. You never own a cat. They tolerate you and in turn grace you w/their presence.
  15. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    09 Feb '10 18:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    I suppose someone breaking in - and tresspassing in that sense - might get what's coming to them. What about someone with wholly innocent intentions on your property, perhaps mistakenly? If they are savaged by your dog, while on your property, are you in the clear do you think? It's just that you talked about using an animal as a kind of defensive 'weapon'. I wo ...[text shortened]... h your liabilities and rights. I'm not a dog owner, so I haven't. I'm genuinely curious.
    Seems like a confused body of law, but a quick reading of "Dog Bite Law" suggests that if you are trespassing, you are unlikely to be compensated. Dog owners have to keep their animals under control, and adequately fenced in on their own property seems to fill the bill.