Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Feb '11 01:56 / 1 edit
    Are you kidding me? No posters want to talk about what is going on in Wisconsin? The Republican Senate ran on fiscal sanity and have decided to target collective bargening with unions as one of the methods for reigning in costs, which prompted around 30,000 protesters to flood the state house and no one wants to talk about it? Of course, the juiciest part is that their Democrat counterparts have left the state and, in doing so, prohibit a vote without their presence. Now the Governer is thinking about calling the state police to force the representatives back to do their jobs and put it to a vote. Of course, one of the Democrats is related to a high ranking official in the police department. Hmmm?

All I can say is, if this is all you have to do to prevent a vote, why didn't the Republicans leave and go to Timbuktoo before the vote on Obamacare?

Of course what very few know is that a hand full of confused Arabic Speaking people also showed up chanting, "Down with Mubarak!!"
  2. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    18 Feb '11 02:41
    I was wondering when somebody was going to start a thread on this. Too bad it had to be you.

The protesters were not calling for Mubarek's departure. They were making a comparison between Mubarek and Governor Walker.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Feb '11 05:07
    Get your California cheese while the Wisconsin cows are rebelling!
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    18 Feb '11 06:26
    Originally posted by rwingett
    They were making a comparison between Mubarek and Governor Walker.
    Well, and Hitler, plus a few other things.

Here's a nice video. Let's hear some more lectures on civility from the left please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71gsnLfsbbM&feature=player_embedded
  5. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    18 Feb '11 08:13
    Soundtrack by Scott Walker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpBxXEPQow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYyOkQUyJZM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0LHj3Xu9ac&feature=fvwrel
  6. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    18 Feb '11 08:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are you kidding me? No posters want to talk about what is going on in Wisconsin? The Republican Senate ran on fiscal sanity and have decided to target collective bargening with unions as one of the methods for reigning in costs, which prompted around 30,000 protesters to flood the state house and no one wants to talk about it? Of course, the juiciest part ...[text shortened]... nd full of confused Arabic Speaking people also showed up chanting, "Down with Mubarak!!"
    I'm sure you'd enjoy your pay and benifits stripped away by a bunch of lawmakers...wouldn't you?? Let me ask you something Whodey....If these fine, upstanding, God Fearing, holier than though GOP lawmakers are trying so hard to balance the state budget, why don't they ever vote to cut there 6 figure salaries and tax payer supported health care??? Why is it always those who can least afford it, that get there pay slashed whenever things get tough??? Why is it you don't want to talk about that Whodey???

America is an interesting country Whodey. We vote to give tax breaks to those making over $250,000.00 a year, but a waitress making $7.00/hr...we'll tax her tips! God Bless America... How come you don't want to talk about this ...Whodey??!
  7. 18 Feb '11 09:16
    They've been doing this collective bargaining with unions for a couple of decades here. It's been pretty successful - when the economy is doing well, the unions can demand payrises, but when the economy is not doing so well, there is usually some compromise to freeze wages in order to e.g. not cut some social security programme or not fire any people, etc.
  8. 18 Feb '11 10:18
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm sure you'd enjoy your pay and benifits stripped away by a bunch of lawmakers...wouldn't you?? Let me ask you something Whodey....If these fine, upstanding, God Fearing, holier than though GOP lawmakers are trying so hard to balance the state budget, why don't they ever vote to cut there 6 figure salaries and tax payer supported health care??? Why is it a ...[text shortened]... ax her tips! God Bless America... How come you don't want to talk about this ...Whodey??!
    What are you mumbling about bill? You had a Democrat controlled government gone wild in both local, state, and federal levels. Then with rising costs and ballooning deficits, people got the bright idea that maybe their fiscal houses needed to be put in order.

Of course, it still remains to be seen if the Republicans can do anything substantial to avoid insolvency for the state, but one thing is for sure, they can't do any worse. In fact, anyone can get in their and try to offer free this and free that and run up deficits. Instead of facing their duties as representatives when they hald power, the Democrats decided not to give a damn. Now they have left the state because they did not like the election results. Its almost as if they are a bunch of teenagers.
  9. 18 Feb '11 10:20 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They've been doing this collective bargaining with unions for a couple of decades here. It's been pretty successful - when the economy is doing well, the unions can demand payrises, but when the economy is not doing so well, there is usually some compromise to freeze wages in order to e.g. not cut some social security programme or not fire any people, etc.
    Tell that to governor Chris Christie of NJ. He told the teachers union that because times were bad they needed to have pay freezes or lose jobs. It was their choice. They chose the later as they continued to pray for his death.
  10. 18 Feb '11 10:24
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Well, and Hitler, plus a few other things.

Here's a nice video. Let's hear some more lectures on civility from the left please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71gsnLfsbbM&feature=player_embedded
    Looking at governor Warlkers jaw line, I think perhaps he might be a hybrid between Mubarak and Hitler.

So I guess there is only one thing to do for Governor Walker if he is indeed to live up to his reputation. Now they need to round up liberals and build concentration camps for them. It will be the conservative final solution.

Mwha, mwha,ha, mwhahahaha!!
  11. 18 Feb '11 16:14
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Get your California cheese while the Wisconsin cows are rebelling!
    California cheese! Bah! Tillamook, baby! Oregon's cows are fed on manna.
  12. 18 Feb '11 17:11
    Tell that to governor Chris Christie of NJ. He told the teachers union that because times were bad they needed to have pay freezes or lose jobs. It was their choice. They chose the later as they continued to pray for his death.
    they chose to lose their jobs? did the losers fall on their swords or were they pushed?
  13. 18 Feb '11 17:13
    Originally posted by bill718
    I'm sure you'd enjoy your pay and benifits stripped away by a bunch of lawmakers...wouldn't you?? Let me ask you something Whodey....If these fine, upstanding, God Fearing, holier than though GOP lawmakers are trying so hard to balance the state budget, why don't they ever vote to cut there 6 figure salaries and tax payer supported health care??? Why is it a ...[text shortened]... ax her tips! God Bless America... How come you don't want to talk about this ...Whodey??!
    a public-sector job is not the birthright some people treat it as. it's a claim on other persons' work output. and now, a ride on the gravy train.

don't mind that man behind the mirror!
  14. 18 Feb '11 17:54
    Are you kidding me? No posters want to talk about what is going on in Wisconsin? The Republican Senate ran on fiscal sanity and have decided to target collective bargening with unions as one of the methods for reigning in costs, which prompted around 30,000 protesters to flood the state house and no one wants to talk about it? Of course, the juiciest part ...[text shortened]... nd full of confused Arabic Speaking people also showed up chanting, "Down with Mubarak!!"
    There is nothing surprising about this story, it is a common feature of public sector workers that when the government decides to tighten its belts they simply go to the streets in rebellion, its been happening all over europe. Soon these people will tire and come to accept that the banquet of benefits they were having at the expense of taxpayers is gone.

I have to say that it is a very poor reflection of the political understanding of these people that they have managed to draw parallels between Mubarak and the Governor of the state, that is simply going too far.
  15. 18 Feb '11 18:13 / 1 edit
    What are you mumbling about bill? You had a Democrat controlled government gone wild in both local, state, and federal levels. Then with rising costs and ballooning deficits, people got the bright idea that maybe their fiscal houses needed to be put in order.

Of course, it still remains to be seen if the Republicans can do anything substantial to avoid i ecause they did not like the election results. Its almost as if they are a bunch of teenagers.
    I actually think Bill hit the nail on the head when he referred to that strange american phenomenon of the persistent belief in trickle-down economics appearing in the form of tax breaks for the super rich, history has shown that the republicans are in fact guilty as charged with respect to their protection of the moneyed elites; this is something which even you can't deny.

As reprehensible as the democrats' conduct may have been, it is a colossal mistake to assume the republicans "can't do any worse", their ranks are filled with the politically illiterate, the easily deceived, and the corrupt lackeys of special interests, the potential for things getting worse is far from nonexistent.