Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 21:512 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Tee hee 😀 I actually enjoyed reading that although to be honest it was rather predictable. Have you no more imagination than these stock phrases that you use for people who challenge your perspective? pathological liar, racist, misogynist etc etc I mean come on, its hardly what one would term creative, is it? What about Robbie Carrobie is an impuissant, atesticular, spineless gelding? you know something like that?
    Then Robbie Carrobie should enjoy (other readers may enjoy it too) reading many other
    diverse writers condemn him for being a pathological liar, hypocrite, and many other abuses.

Look at "Dasa and the Thought Police" (Spirituality forum) created by Robbie Carrobie.
    There's DeepThought, Divegeester, FMF, Finnegan, Ghost of a Duke, Googlefudge,
    Rank Outsider, Suzianne, ThinkofOne, Twhitehead, etc. condemning the troll Robbie Carrobie.

It's telling that Robbie Carrobie was reduced to begging for support from trolls as obviously
    hateful as Dasa, who has been permanently banned by RHP for extreme abuse.
    As Suzianne wrote, nearly everyone knows that Robbie Carrobie's 'abhorrent'.
    As Googlefudge told me, I cannot tell him anything bad about Robbie Carrobie that
    he does not already know.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jun '16 22:232 edits
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Then Robbie Carrobie should enjoy (other readers may enjoy it too) reading many other
    diverse writers condemn him for being a pathological liar, hypocrite, and many other abuses.

Look at "Dasa and the Thought Police" (Spirituality forum) created by Robbie Carrobie.
    There's DeepThought, Divegeester, FMF, Finnegan, Ghost of a Duke, Googlefudge,
    Rank Ou ...[text shortened]... ge told me, I cannot tell him anything bad about Robbie Carrobie that
    he does not already know.
    Tee hee, I truly wish i could take you seriously but you just make me laugh. Were you yourself not just back from a lengthy banning for your hateful speech while I myself skipped about daintily like a spring lamb? frolicking in the forums with much joy. Ouch, it seems that your time in 'the cooler', might have been better spent in reflection and cultivating humility rather than 'nursing your wrath to keep it warm', 😀
  3. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jun '16 06:39
    Tu Youyou has contributed much more to humankind than KazetNagorra ever has or presumably will.
    I am pleased to see her achievements receive belated recognition, even from Westerners.
    I had believed that it was likely that she (age 85) would die before receiving a Nobel Prize.
    Tu Youyou has contributed much more to humankind than KazetNagorra ever has or presumably will.

That seems plausible.

I am pleased to see her achievements receive belated recognition, even from Westerners.
    I had believed that it was likely that she (age 85) would die before receiving a Nobel Prize.

I think that when people achieve something impressive or important one should focus on that achievement and not irrelevant traits that person may or may not have, such as gender, nationality or cultural background.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 00:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]Tu Youyou has contributed much more to humankind than KazetNagorra ever has or presumably will.

That seems plausible.

I think that when people achi ...[text shortened]... vant traits that person may or may not have, such as gender, nationality or cultural background.[/b]
    "...irrelevant traits that person may or may not have, such as gender, nationality, or cultural background."
    --KazetNagorra

That's easily said by a smug white European man (KazetNagorra) who evidently never
    has experienced any adverse discrimination on account of his 'irrelevant traits'.

In reality, there's a long history (academic studies have been written about it) of sexism
    in science, which it has made it harder, sometimes impracticable, for women to receive
    proper recognition of their achievements. There also may be evidence (though less clear-cut)
    of Western refusal or reluctance to acknowledge Chinese achievements in science and
    technology on account of racist stereotyping.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 00:47
    "...irrelevant traits that person may or may not have, such as gender, nationality, or cultural background."
    --KazetNagorra

That's easily said by a smug white European man (KazetNagorra) who evidently never
    has experienced any adverse discrimination on account of his 'irrelevant traits'.

In reality, there's a long history (academic studies have be ...[text shortened]... o acknowledge Chinese achievements in science and
    Bwahahahah how do you expect anyone to take this jive talk seriously?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 02:08
    Maybe Western doctors didn't care much because we don't have malaria in North America and Europe?
    Unless it's brought in by foreigners.
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 09:26
    --KazetNagorra

In reality, there's a long history (academic studies have be ...[text shortened]... o acknowledge Chinese achievements in science and
    I remember when the western world didn't have a problem with radical Muslims, then Muslim people started talking just like you have here .
    Resentment , Jealousy ,anger and Nationalism maybe you don't have a sense of belonging in the country you live in ( Britain ,I am led to believe ) ?
  8. Germany
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 10:25

In reality, there's a long history (academic studies have been written about it) of sexism
    in science, which it has made it harder, sometimes impracticable, for women to receive
    proper ...[text shortened]... o acknowledge Chinese achievements in science and

And you would evidently be wrong.

In reality, there's a long history (academic studies have been written about it) of sexism in science, which it has made it harder, sometimes impracticable, for women to receive proper recognition of their achievements. There also may be evidence (though less clear-cut) of Western refusal or reluctance to acknowledge Chinese achievements in science and technology on account of racist stereotyping.

I don't deny that sexism exists, I just don't think that you fix it by focusing on gender when it doesn't matter. On the contrary, (for example) a special science prize for women only reinforces the picture that women cannot compete on the same level as men and therefore should have their own category of prizes.
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 19:43
    Your love affair with Tu Youyou is getting a little creepy.
    Was she one half of the Chinese female version of the " Chuckle brothers" ?
    " To metoyou "..." To Youyou "
  10. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 20:071 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Maybe Western doctors didn't care much because we don't have malaria in North America and Europe?
    Unless it's brought in by foreigners.
    First of all, I note that FishHead111 has the premise that the Western medical establishment
    does or should care only about Western lives. To some extent that's true. Motivated by
    a capitalist drive for profits, Western phamaceutical corporations did not invest the resources
    that China's government did in developing a new superior drug against malaria, which
    chiefly afflicts poor people in non-Western societies.

In fact, malaria was a major problem in much of Europe throughout the Second World War.
    Mussolini ordered the major project of draining marshes around Rome in an effort to reduce malaria.
    German scientists worked to discover a new drug against malaria, chloroquine (named 'Resochin' ) in 1934.
    (During the Second World War, the US government rediscoverered chloroquine and eventually
    adopted it as the US military's drug of choice against malaria.) During the Second World War,
    the Germans went to great lengths to smuggle quinine (which they needed to fight malaria
    among their troops in Italy and the USSR) through the Allied blockade from their ally Japan.
    As I recall, one U-boat running the blockade carried, in addition to much else, at least two tons of quinine.
    All this shows that the Germans regarded malaria as a serious problem in 1940s Europe
    Malaria became much reduced in Europe after the widespread introduction of DDT.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 20:181 edit
    [b]That's easily said by a smug white European man (KazetNagorra) who evidently never

And you would evidently be wrong.

In reality, there's a long history (academic studies have been written about it) of sexism in science, which it has made it harder, sometim ...[text shortened]... cannot compete on the same level as men and therefore should have their own category of prizes.
    "I don't deny that sexism exists."
    --KazetNagorra

KazetNagorra seems extremely insensitive to how it harms the careers of women in science.

"... a special science prize for women..."
    --KazetNagorra

That's a 'strawman' by KazetNagorra. I have *not* proposed a 'special science prize for women'.

KazetNagorra seems offended (perhaps regarding it as sexist or racist against white men)
    about *the fact even to be mentioned* that Tu Youyou's the first Chinese woman to win a Nobel Prize in science.

So is KazetNagorra offended by having Maryam Mirzakhani (an Iranian) mentioned as
    being the first woman ever to win a Fields Medal (2014) in mathematics?

So is KazetNagorra offended by having Barack Obama mentioned as the first African-American
    ever to be elected as President of the United States? Is his race supposedly irrelevant?

And would KazetNagorra be offended by having Hillary Clinton mentioned as the first woman
    ever to be elected as President of the United States? Is her gender supposedly irrelevant?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 20:32
    "I don't deny that sexism exists."
    --KazetNagorra

KazetNagorra seems extremely insensitive to how it harms the careers of women in science.

"... a special science prize for women..."
    --KazetNagorra

That's a 'strawman' by KazetNagorra. I have *not* proposed a 'special science prize for women'.

KazetNagorra seems offended (perhaps regarding ...[text shortened]... man
    ever to be elected as President of the United States? Is her gender supposedly irrelevant?

I am extremely insensitive in general.

I have *not* proposed a 'special science prize for women'.

Never said that you did - but they exist, and they exist because people focus on irrelevant attributes like gender.

So is KazetNagorra offended [...]

KazetNagorra is not easily offended. Barack Obama is also (to my knowledge) the first adept basketball player to be elected as president of the USA. Yet he is not widely known as the first adept basketball player to be elected president. Barack Obama should be judged according to his performance as president and not by the appearance of his skin, who his parents were, or how good he is at basketball.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 20:50
    [b]KazetNagorra seems extremely insensitive to how it harms the careers of women in science.

I am extremely insensitive in general.

I have *not* proposed a 'special science prize for women'.

Never said that you did - but they exist, and they exist because people focus on irrelevant attributes like gender.

So is KazetNagorra of ...[text shortened]... nt and not by the appearance of his skin, who his parents were, or how good he is at basketball.
    The reason why many people make a 'big fuss' (as KazetNagorra might perceive it)
    about Barack Obama being the first African-American to become President of the USA
    is that there's a long history of racism that stopped African-Americans from even asserting
    their right to vote, let alone their other political rights. In contrast, there's no history of
    adverse discrimination against 'adept basketball players' (e.g. Bill Bradley) in US politics.

Apparently accustomed to his white male privilege, KazetNagorra shows he's disingenuous.
    It's absurd to insinuate that Barack Obama *historically* would have encountered comparable
    prejudice for being an 'adept basketball player' as for being an African-American.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 21:15
    The reason why many people make a 'big fuss' (as KazetNagorra might perceive it)
    about Barack Obama being the first African-American to become President of the USA
    is that there's a long history of racism that stopped African-Americans from even asserting
    their right to vote, let alone their other political rights. In contrast, there's no history of
    a ...[text shortened]... d comparable
    prejudice for being an 'adept basketball player' as for being an African-American.
    their right to vote, let alone their other political rights.

Indeed... because people made 'a big fuss' out of being "African-American!"

Apparently accustomed to his white male privilege, KazetNagorra shows he's disingenuous.

You know nothing about my background, but here it will suffice to say it was not "privileged."

It's absurd to insinuate that Barack Obama *historically* would have encountered comparable

Didn't "insinuate" anything of the sort.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Jun '16 22:081 edit
    [b]The reason why many people make a 'big fuss' (as KazetNagorra might perceive it)
    their right to vote, let alone their other political rights.

Indeed... because ...[text shortened]... sketball player' as for being an African-American.[/b]
    Didn't "insinuate" anything of the sort.[/b]
    When I refer to KazetNagorra as having 'white male privilege', it was *not* a claim that he
    was 'privileged' (which seems to be his disingenuous objection) in other ways such as class.
    Indeed, I have no knowledge of whether KazetNagorra comes from a poor, rich, or middle-class family,
    and I made no comment or implication by it. But I can be reasonably sure that KazetNagorra
    never has experienced adverse discrimination for *not* being a white male in a Western society.
    I note KazetNagorra's absence of empathy for people who have experienced that kind of adverse discrimination.