Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 21 Mar '17 05:34
    "Full EU membership but keep sterling."

    What's up with the Euro Nicola?
  2. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    21 Mar '17 06:10
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "Full EU membership but keep sterling."

    What's up with the Euro Nicola?
    The Euro is a weakness in the argument for independence. From an English point of view Scotland retaining the pound could represent a problem as the stability of England's currency could be put into jeopardy by a Scottish government that liked spending. Attempts by England to stop this would lead to accusations of not respecting Scottish independence and so on. Basically Britain would become a microcosm of the problems with the Euro. For Scotland to have her own currency would require a central bank and that would need assets sufficient to act as a lender of last resort. The Bank of England has reserves of £408 billion, so a Scottish central Bank would need something of the order of £33 billion. So I'm not seeing a way for Scotland to be independent without joining the Euro. Joining the Euro is a weak link in the argument for independence and I've gone round in a circle.
  3. 21 Mar '17 06:20
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The Euro is a weakness in the argument for independence. From an English point of view Scotland retaining the pound could represent a problem as the stability of England's currency could be put into jeopardy by a Scottish government that liked spending. Attempts by England to stop this would lead to accusations of not respecting Scottish independence a ...[text shortened]... oining the Euro is a weak link in the argument for independence and I've gone round in a circle.
    There is no way the EU will let another member state negotiate an opt out of the euro ever again.
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Mar '17 12:22
    Scotland has its own pound, doesn't it?
    It certainly has its own banknotes.
  5. 21 Mar '17 14:09
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Scotland has its own pound, doesn't it?
    It certainly has its own banknotes.
    It has its own banknotes yes, but the currency is GBP sterling.

    Sturgeon is having her 15 minutes in the spotlight. In the end, if there is another vote Scots will vote to stay in the union because we are a much closer knit Kingdom than their tartan waving histrionics imply.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Mar '17 15:48
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It has its own banknotes yes, but the currency is GBP sterling.

    Sturgeon is having her 15 minutes in the spotlight. In the end, if there is another vote Scots will vote to stay in the union because we are a much closer knit Kingdom than their tartan waving histrionics imply.
    No we are not.

    The sooner Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Europe are shot of the English, the merrier the world will be.
  7. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Mar '17 15:54
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "Full EU membership but keep sterling."

    What's up with the Euro Nicola?
    And by the way... could you link ti your assertion? I can't find anything about Sturgeon saying that at all.
  8. 21 Mar '17 15:59 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    No we are not.

    The sooner Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Europe are shot of the English, the merrier the world will be.
    yeehaw! The problem for Nicola is that the people don't want a referendum at this time, There is no stomach for it, not like the last time. We are suffering a glut of politics. She should wait and see if the UK tanks then jettison England if it does.
  9. 21 Mar '17 16:07
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    And by the way... could you link ti your assertion? I can't find anything about Sturgeon saying that at all.
    http://news.sky.com/story/sturgeon-scotland-will-keep-the-pound-and-apply-for-full-eu-membership-10807681
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    21 Mar '17 16:15
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    http://news.sky.com/story/sturgeon-scotland-will-keep-the-pound-and-apply-for-full-eu-membership-10807681
    Will keep the pound as a starting point... yeah, what else? Haggis and bloody whisky?
  11. 21 Mar '17 16:52 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Will keep the pound as a starting point... yeah, what else? Haggis and bloody whisky?
    I'd love a Scottish passport, a tartan one, Clan Gordon on the front and Clan MacGregor on the back
  12. 21 Mar '17 16:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    No we are not.

    The sooner Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Europe are shot of the English, the merrier the world will be.
    Why?
  13. 21 Mar '17 17:01
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Will keep the pound as a starting point... yeah, what else? Haggis and bloody whisky?
    Oh, so you're a Scott; this explains your rampant emotionalism.
  14. 21 Mar '17 17:08 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    The problem for Nicola is that the people don't want a referendum at this time, There is no stomach for it, not like the last time.
    Wrong.

    The majority of Scottish people do not want to be yoked to a failing and unpredictable European economic model. Do you want Scotland to be one of the "PIG"s of Europe you silly man? Like all of us on this little group of islands, we want as much independence as we can get, and those of you who can manage to put the battle of Bannockburn out of your tiny brains for 5 seconds will realise that this goal will be achieved through an independent but fully United Kingdom with empowered devolved country governments.
  15. 21 Mar '17 17:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I'd love a Scottish passport, a tartan one, Clan Gordon on the front and Clan MacGregor on the back
    And why shouldn't you have one? Why shouldn't we as the United Kingdom of countries each have our own personalised passports?