Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Feb '18 18:49
    "There was a time when liberals recognized just how poisonous and conversation-ending a reckless charge of racism could be. John Bunzel, a Democrat who served on the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, wrote that we should end the “corrupted usage” of the word “racist.” It breeds “bitterness and polarization, not a spirit of pragmatic reasonableness in confronting our difficult problems,” he wrote in 1998."

"The late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a pillar of the Democratic party until his retirement as a U.S. senator in 2001, identified just how much damage the misuse of the racist label can do. In a famous speech he gave while serving as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations in 1975, Moynihan unsuccessfully warned the U.N. General Assembly not to pass a resolution declaring that Zionism was a form or racism and racial discrimination:"

While decrying racism as seen here with Marc Hill, they are subtily being racist themselves. Everytime an example of racism is given, it is always an example of white racism.

“It has to be so unambiguous, like some white supremacist leader."

Marc Lamont Hill

Many here on this discussion board are guily of this overuse. A line in the article applies to you (also by Hill)...

"I just don’t find the term productive. It cripples the conversation. No one wants to discuss the matter with you after you use that word.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/456295/Shani-Davis-racist-coin-toss-accusation-shows-racism-charge-overused
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '18 18:54
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    "There was a time when liberals recognized just how poisonous and conversation-ending a reckless charge of racism could be. John Bunzel, a Democrat who served on the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, wrote that we should end the “corrupted usage” of the word “racist.” It breeds “bitterness and polarization, not a spirit of pragmatic reasonableness in ...[text shortened]... alreview.com/article/456295/Shani-Davis-racist-coin-toss-accusation-shows-racism-charge-overused
    Here's a tip: don't spout white supremacist doctrine like blacks aren't equal to whites if you don't like being called a "racist".
  3. 12 Feb '18 18:58
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Here's a tip: don't spout white supremacist doctrine like blacks aren't equal to whites if you don't like being called a "racist".
    Dodging my point? No one saying there isn't white racist. There are racist of every race ( but you don't think there are races, just racist)

Only whites are ever called on it, you know, like you just did.
  4. 12 Feb '18 19:00
    Did that coin "spout white supremacist doctrine"?
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '18 19:06
    Dodging my point? No one saying there isn't white racist. There are racist of every race ( but you don't think there are races, just racist)

Only whites are ever called on it, you know, like you just did.
    I just think it's a little odd for an avowed racist to complain about the use of the word "racist".

Sure, some people (I could mention one on this site) overuse the word "racist". I note Shani Davis didn't use the word according to the article you cited.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '18 19:11
    Did that coin "spout white supremacist doctrine"?
    Did Shani Davis use the term "racist" to describe the coin toss?
  7. 12 Feb '18 19:56
    Did Shani Davis use the term "racist" to describe the coin toss?
    @TeamUSA dishonorably tossed a coin to decide its 2018 flag bearer,” Davis added, before invoking the hashtag #BlackHistoryMonth2018"

trying to backtrack by using semantics now?
  8. 12 Feb '18 19:59
    I just think it's a little odd for an avowed racist to complain about the use of the word "racist".

Sure, some people (I could mention one on this site) overuse the word "racist". I note Shani Davis didn't use the word according to the article you cited.
    I can mention several...you being one.
  9. 12 Feb '18 20:18
    The only people I've ever seen complain about being called "racist" are racists. Like of course our good friend Mott the Hoople here.
  10. 12 Feb '18 20:31
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    The only people I've ever seen complain about being called "racist" are racists. Like of course our good friend Mott the Hoople here.
    Well he pulled the racism card...AGAIN...I must run along now...LMFAO
  11. 12 Feb '18 20:48
    Well he pulled the racism card...AGAIN...I must run along now...LMFAO
    There's no "card." If you think being a racist is a bad thing, don't be one. If you think it is a good thing, stand by your views.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '18 21:16
    @TeamUSA dishonorably tossed a coin to decide its 2018 flag bearer,” Davis added, before invoking the hashtag #BlackHistoryMonth2018"

trying to backtrack by using semantics now?
    I think it's odd to have a whole article criticizing people who overuse the word "racist" based on an incident where the person in question didn't use that word at all.
  13. 12 Feb '18 21:22
    I think it's odd to have a whole article criticizing people who overuse the word "racist" based on an incident where the person in question didn't use that word at all.
    Seems you are the only one that doesn't see it...
    #BlackHistoryMonth2018
  14. 12 Feb '18 21:23
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    There's no "card." If you think being a racist is a bad thing, don't be one. If you think it is a good thing, stand by your views.
    I don't remember asking for your advice. Thx tho...lol
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    12 Feb '18 21:28 / 1 edit
    Seems you are the only one that doesn't see it...
    #BlackHistoryMonth2018
    Still don't see the word "racist".

Davis thought his achievements merited being the flagbearer, but he never used the term "racist". The entire National Review article is based on a false premise.

EDIT: Here's his two tweets:

“I am an American and when I won the 1000m in 2010 I became the first American to 2-peat in that event. @TeamUSA dishonorably tossed a coin to decide its 2018 flag bearer. No problem. I can wait until 2022. #BlackHistoryMonth2018 #PyeongChang2018”

”It has been such an honor to have represented the greatest, most diverse country in the world at the last five Winter Games during the same month as #blackhistorymonth #goTeamUSA Watch ‘Origins of Black History Month.”’

https://sports.yahoo.com/shani-davis-skips-opening-ceremony-protects-twitter-account-not-selected-flag-bearer-134826163.html

Seems like right wingers are making a mountain out of a molehill but it seems criticizing black athletes is very popular among that group.