Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 25 Feb '17 13:18
    The more I read about the so called "War on Drugs", the more I realize it is no war at all. Prisons are nothing more than a marking device to see who in society is using drugs or dealing drugs. They don't stay in prison long as they are marked and released back into society to be studied further as to how many more times they continue such behavior as well as study the societal ills from it. I reckon it provides shovel ready jobs for out of work sociologists. Of course, since drug abusers and dealers are tagged for their behavior, no one will want to hire them so they are essentially stuck doing what they are doing until the day they die, which by all accounts probably won't be too long.

    Meanwhile, those who use IV drugs are given "free" needles at taxpayers expense. Also, those who overdose are given "free" narcan or sent to hospitals for their infections caused by their dirty needle use, all at tax payer expense. Drug abusers are often not arrested. Instead, they are released back into society without so much as a slap on the hand cuz drug use is not looked upon as a crime, rather, it's simply a "disease".

    All society is doing is enabling drug abusers and dealers. It is then no wonder that drug abuse is an epidemic in the US. Things will only get worse until these policies are changed.

    I am starting to come to the conclusion that for certain drug use, the death penalty should be adopted for dealers. Drugs such as heroin often become life long addictions after only one use. Most importantly, the death toll from those overdosing on heroin is staggering as is the ill effects upon society and families around the country.


    The bigger question I have is, what to do with those who abuse drugs? By in large, they are now out of control. Their lives are now dedicated to drug use. Should these people at least be required to be detained long enough to get clean from its effects and then be required to undergo substance abuse counseling? If so, how many times before we just throw up our hands and give up on them? Perhaps after so many times, they should just be thrown into jail and be forced to come clean.
  2. 25 Feb '17 13:23
    Originally posted by whodey
    I am starting to come to the conclusion that for certain drug use, the death penalty should be adopted for dealers.

    The bigger question I have is, what to do with those who abuse drugs? By in large, they are now out of control.
    Wow. After all these years of preaching about how big government should just stay out of peoples lives, you do a complete turn around and go overboard suggesting we execute anyone who dares to go against big governments dictates.

    What a hypocrite you are!
  3. 25 Feb '17 13:28 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Wow. After all these years of preaching about how big government should just stay out of peoples lives, you do a complete turn around and go overboard suggesting we execute anyone who dares to go against big governments dictates.

    What a hypocrite you are!
    Is it or is it not the role of the government to try and maintain a civil society?

    If I shoot you, should the government defend your honor or just let me murder whomever I wish? Your point is pointless.

    I would argue that Heroin use is far worse than just taking out a gun and shooting you. It not only takes your life, it is a slow torturous process that destroys families and the memory of loved ones and destroys taxpayer money.

    Now in the Philippians, there is no trial. They just walk up to you if you are suspected of dealing drugs and shoot you on the spot. I'm not advocating that, but at the same time, it is time to treat drug dealers for what they are. They are murderers.
  4. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    25 Feb '17 14:13
    The war on drugs cannot succeed.
    It doesn't destroy the profit margins, so people will continue to push them.

    On another note: I'll decide what I put in my body, thank you very much.
    If I wanna snort coke, I will. If I want to chase dragons I will.

    My body! Leave me the hell alone.
  5. 25 Feb '17 14:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    The war on drugs cannot succeed.
    It doesn't destroy the profit margins, so people will continue to push them.

    On another note: I'll decide what I put in my body, thank you very much.
    If I wanna snort coke, I will. If I want to chase dragons I will.

    My body! Leave me the hell alone.
    Actually heroin is as cheap as hell.

    Next argument.

    As for leaving you alone, does that mean when you overdose or want medical treatment for your life decisions or just when it comes to getting high?
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    25 Feb '17 15:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Actually heroin is as cheap as hell.

    Next argument.

    As for leaving you alone, does that mean when you overdose or want medical treatment for your life decisions or just when it comes to getting high?
    Heroin isn't cheap.
    It isn't taxed.
    And many users are steady customers.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    25 Feb '17 15:29
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    [On another note: I'll decide what I put in my body, thank you very much.
    If I wanna snort coke, I will. If I want to chase dragons I will.

    My body! Leave me the hell alone.[/b]
    Certain drugs often result in problems that the government has to deal with, like crime. This can include theft, child abuse/neglect or even death. Even if mine of that happens, rehab centers would have to be out supet to help those trying to get off of drugs. All are things the government would have to deal with.

    Not all drugs are like weed, where the users only affect themselves.
  8. 25 Feb '17 15:43
    Originally posted by whodey
    Is it or is it not the role of the government to try and maintain a civil society?
    I believe so. But you, in the past, have suggested that you do not.

    If I shoot you, should the government defend your honor or just let me murder whomever I wish? Your point is pointless.
    What is pointless about my point? Bringing up murder doesn't make my point go away nor make you any less of a hypocrite.

    I would argue that Heroin use is far worse than just taking out a gun and shooting you.
    Well now that you have 'argued' it, perhaps you could back it up with actual argument?

    It not only takes your life, it is a slow torturous process that destroys families and the memory of loved ones and destroys taxpayer money.
    But it is not committed by someone else. Why not compare it to suicide by fire arm not murder.

    Now in the Philippians, there is no trial.
    Yes, you would love the authoritarian no trial system in the Philippines, wouldn't you. You preach one thing but desire the exact opposite.

    They just walk up to you if you are suspected of dealing drugs and shoot you on the spot. I'm not advocating that,
    Then why bring it up? Did you have a point?

    but at the same time, it is time to treat drug dealers for what they are. They are murderers.
    Are you also advocating the death penalty for arms dealers? If not, why not?
  9. 25 Feb '17 15:53
    Lets also not forget the war for drugs. The US went to Afghanistan to restart the opium trade (with great success).
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    25 Feb '17 15:57
    Originally posted by vivify
    Certain drugs often result in problems that the government has to deal with, like crime. This can include theft, child abuse/neglect or even death. Even if mine of that happens, rehab centers would have to be out supet to help those trying to get off of drugs. All are things the government would have to deal with.

    Not all drugs are like weed, where the users only affect themselves.
    You mean like alcohol and car driving?
  11. 25 Feb '17 17:03
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    You mean like alcohol and car driving?
    Good point.

    So whodey, do you support the death penalty for alcohol dealers?
  12. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    25 Feb '17 17:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    The more I read about the so called "War on Drugs", the more I realize it is no war at all. Prisons are nothing more than a marking device to see who in society is using drugs or dealing drugs. They don't stay in prison long as they are marked and released back into society to be studied further as to how many more times they continue such behavior as well ...[text shortened]... Perhaps after so many times, they should just be thrown into jail and be forced to come clean.
    I don't know that I could disagree more on the topic.
    Actually inclined to think you're posting it sarcastically?

    A more prudent approach would be to consider two scenarios: drug use prior to the commercialization of it by prisons and those countries which have legalized any or all drugs.

    I think you'll discover that reasonable action follows freedom.
  13. 25 Feb '17 17:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    The more I read about the so called "War on Drugs", the more I realize it is no war at all. Prisons are nothing more than a marking device to see who in society is using drugs or dealing drugs. They don't stay in prison long as they are marked and released back into society to be studied further as to how many more times they continue such behavior as well ...[text shortened]... Perhaps after so many times, they should just be thrown into jail and be forced to come clean.
    So, why the death penalty for heroin dealers but not for alcohol brewers or prescription drug manufacturers, both of which are larger public health hazards in the United States?
  14. 25 Feb '17 18:39
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So, why the death penalty for heroin dealers but not for alcohol brewers or prescription drug manufacturers, both of which are larger public health hazards in the United States?
    Be careful now, big pharma is one of whodeys sponsors. We wouldn't want to put him out of business
  15. Standard member vivify
    rain
    25 Feb '17 18:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Lets also not forget the war for drugs. The US went to Afghanistan to restart the opium trade (with great success).
    Link?