Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    15 Jul '12 16:35
    Anyone thinking of voting for third-party candidates this November? I ask because I read that the Green Party had its national convention yesterday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Stein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Johnson
  2. 15 Jul '12 16:50
    I can vote in September and I will vote for the 6th party in the previous elections.

If I were American, I would probably abstain.
  3. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Jul '12 17:55
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Anyone thinking of voting for third-party candidates this November?
    Nope. It is pointless to do so. Americans who still care should not throw their vote away on a third party candidate who will not win, but choose the lesser of the two evils presented by our two party system. Conservatives who still care should continue to apply pressure from the right to influence their party over the long term, and the best way to do so is to oust GOP RINO's in primaries.
  4. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Jul '12 18:10
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    Anyone thinking of voting for third-party candidates this November? I ask because I read that the Green Party had its national convention yesterday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Stein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Johnson
    I'm a member of the Greens and usually vote for their candidates even though I don't totally agree with the platform.
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Jul '12 18:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm a member of the Greens and usually vote for their candidates even though I don't totally agree with the platform.
    You should TOTALLY do that.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Jul '12 18:22
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    You should TOTALLY do that.
    I will. I vote my principles even if you don't.
  7. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    15 Jul '12 18:32
    What do you disagree with?
  8. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Jul '12 18:42 / 1 edit
    I will. I vote my principles even if you don't.
    You just said you don't agree with their platform, so ...

But whatever. The Tea Party is playing the long game, employing a strategy that may yield some actual influence on policy. You aren't, and that's fine by me. Stand there on your principled soap box and lecture away bud. Meanwhile it looks like Ted Cruz has a good shot at beating GOP establishment pick Dewhurst in Texas.

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-politics/2012-congressional-election/cruz-leading-dewhurst-two-new-polls/

If so, the Tea Party will have replaced yet another senate RINO (Kay Hutchison) with a Tea Partier.
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Jul '12 18:54
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What do you disagree with?
    The 2010 Platform is here: http://www.gp.org/committees/platform/2010/democracy.php

There's a lot of good ideas there but I'm not in favor of the types of controls on campaign contributions and spending they advocate. If rich people want to throw away their money let 'em.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Jul '12 18:57

But whatever. The Tea Party is playing the long game, employing a strategy that may yield some actual influence on policy. You aren't, and that's fine by me. Stand there on your principled soap box and lecture away bud. Meanwhile it looks like Ted Cruz has a good shot at beating GOP establis ...[text shortened]... the Tea Party will have replaced yet another senate RINO (Kay Hutchison) with a Tea Partier.
    The Tea Party is a retrograde group trying to toss away at least a century of progress. Like most reactionary groups, they will fail and be soon forgotten.

The ideas espoused in the Green Platform are the future. Like the Progressives before them, this third party's ideas will eventually become the law of the land.
  11. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Jul '12 19:03
    The Tea Party is a retrograde group trying to toss away at least a century of progress. Like most reactionary groups, they will fail and be soon forgotten.

The ideas espoused in the Green Platform are the future. Like the Progressives before them, this third party's ideas will eventually become the law of the land.
    ROFLMAO.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

Thanks, man. I needed it.
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Jul '12 19:20
    Aaaaanyway ...

*wipes eyes*

If you want Green ideas to make it into policy, I suggest you and some like-minded folks take some greenish candidates and run them as Democrats in primaries against corrupt or spineless incumbents. Make a friggin difference already.

Or not. I'm content to have you cancelling out whodey's non-vote.
  13. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Jul '12 19:28
    ROFLMAO.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

Thanks, man. I needed it.
    One hundred years ago reactionary fools were probably laughing hysterically at these ideas:

SOCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL JUSTICE

The supreme duty of the Nation is the conservation of human resources through an enlightened measure of social and industrial justice. We pledge ourselves to work unceasingly in State and Nation for:

Effective legislation looking to the prevention of industrial accidents, occupational diseases, overwork, involuntary unemployment, and other injurous effects incident to modern industry;

The fixing of minimum safety and health standards for the various occupations, and the exercise of the public authority of State and Nation, including the Federal Control over interstate commerce, and the taxing power, to maintain such standards;

The prohibition of child labor;

Minimum wage standards for working women, to provide a "living wage" in all industrial occupations;

The general prohibition of night work for women and the establishment of an eight hour day for women and young persons;

One day’s rest in seven for all wage workers;

The eight hour day in continuous twenty-four hour industries;

The abolition of the convict contract labor system; substituting a system of prison production for governmental consumption only; and the application of prisoners’ earnings to the support of their dependent families;

Publicity as to wages, hours and conditions of labor; full reports upon industrial accidents and diseases, and the opening to public inspection of all tallies, weights, measures and check systems on labor products;

Standards of compensation for death by industrial accident and injury and trade disease which will transfer the burden of lost earnings from the families of working people to the industry, and thus to the community;

The protection of home life against the hazards of sickness, irregular employment and old age through the adoption of a system of social insurance adapted to American use;

The development of the creative labor power of America by lifting the last load of illiteracy from American youth and establishing continuation schools for industrial education under public control and encouraging agricultural education and demonstration in rural schools;

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=607

How'd that work out?
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    15 Jul '12 19:30

But whatever. The Tea Party is playing the long game, employing a strategy that may yield some actual influence on policy. You aren't, and that's fine by me. Stand there on your principled soap box and lecture away bud. Meanwhile it looks like Ted Cruz has a good shot at beating GOP establis ...[text shortened]... the Tea Party will have replaced yet another senate RINO (Kay Hutchison) with a Tea Partier.
    Like they did with Mike Castle?
  15. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    15 Jul '12 19:43
    Like they did with Mike Castle?
    Like they did with Bob Bennet.