Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 00:42
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/tokyo-medical-school-admits-changing-results-to-exclude-women

"Tokyo medical school admits changing results to exclude women.
    University manipulated test scores for more than a decade to ensure
    more men became doctors."

"One of Japan’s most prestigious medical schools has admitted deliberately
    altering entrance exam scores for more than a decade to restrict the
    number of female students and ensure more men became doctors."

"The investigation found that in this year’s entrance exams the school
    reduced all applicants’ first-stage test scores by 20% and then added at
    least 20 points for male applicants, except those who had previously failed
    the test at least four times. It said similar manipulations had occurred for
    years because the school wanted fewer female doctors, since it anticipated
    they would shorten or halt their careers after having children."

This practice seems similar to the past US affirmative action policy of
    'race-norming' except that it's affirmative action for men in this case.

Few women who work hard enough to become doctors will want to quit to become housewives.

"He said the investigation also suggested that the school’s former director
    took money from some parents who sought preferential treatment for
    their sons and that the manipulation was part of a deep-rooted culture
    that lacked fairness and transparency."

Sounds like Harvard's admissions policies.

"They allegedly raised the exam results of the children of former graduates
    in the hope that the parents would make donations to the school, the
    news agency said."

Sounds like legacy admissions at American universities.

"Studies show the share of female doctors who have passed the national
    medical exam has plateaued at around 30% for more than 20 years, leading
    some experts to suspect that other medical schools also discriminate against women."

It may be a de facto quota.

"While women’s representation in the workplace is rising, Japan compares
    poorly with other countries in promoting women to senior positions.
    Many female employees find it difficult to return to work after giving birth."

"“I’m 29 and will probably never get married,” said one poster.
    “Women are pitied if they don’t, but Japanese women who are married
    and working and have kids end up sleeping less than anybody in the world.
    To now hear that even our skills are suppressed makes me shake with rage.”"
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 06:22
    Who'd have thought that Japan was a male dominated culture, where small dicked men are scared poopless of women equalling them in the workplace, school and research?

Perhaps it's time for Japanese men to stay home and look after the families. Perhaps introduce a law that men go through 3 stages in Japanese life: Slave to their mother, slave to their wife and then slave to their daughters.
    A couple of hundred years should sort the idiots out.

Well, I mean, if their culture lasts that long. I believe they're not shagging enough.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 08:33
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/tokyo-medical-school-admits-changing-results-to-exclude-women

alter ...[text shortened]... body in the world.
    Just who exactly do these white Asian's think they are. Privileged white American's??
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 09:46

[/b]
    Immoral, unjustifiable and (presumably) illegal.
    Old policies like these have spawned the almost equally
    abhorrent "positive discrimination" policies of apologetic
    governments. Can't we just treat everyone equally? It
    seems such a simple thing to do.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 09:46
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Just who exactly do these white Asian's think they are. Privileged white American's??
    You thought the US had a monopoly on a$$holes?
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 11:50
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    You thought the US had a monopoly on a$$holes?
    No not really, but if the percentages of a$$holes are fairly constant throughout the world, then given that the population of the USA is roughly equal to the combined population of the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy, then it would only appear that America has a monopoly on the number a$$holes, but that would only be because we tend to line up individual Western European nations and not in agregate, which always makes America fare badly by comparison.
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 12:14
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Who'd have thought that Japan was a male dominated culture, where small dicked men are scared poopless of women equalling them in the workplace, school and research?

Perhaps it's time for Japanese men to stay home and look after the families. Perhaps introduce a law that men go through 3 stages in Japanese life: Slave to their mother, slave to their wi ...[text shortened]... out.

Well, I mean, if their culture lasts that long. I believe they're not shagging enough.
    why are you looking at naked Japanese men?
  8. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 12:26
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    why are you looking at naked Japanese men?
    Why not?
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 20:571 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

Perhaps it's time for Japanese men to stay home and look after the families. Perhaps introduce a law that men go through 3 stages in Japanese life: Slave to their mother, slave to their wi ...[text shortened]... out.

Part of the reason the Japanese economy has never recovered from the bursting of the asset price bubble in late 1991 is that they simply don't have enough children to support their economy. Japan has a rapidly ageing population. Despite nearly 30 lost years for the economy, Japan still has a competitive GDP per capita, en is the third most traded currency and the Tokyo stock exchange recently surpassed Shanghai's in size. Japanese cars are widely acknowledged as the most reliable and their innovations are everywhere. In the 60's, Japanese technology had connotations of being cheap, etc that faded away. Until a few years ago (before companies like Samsung and LG became so good), South Korean tech had the same stereotype - I remember thinking about how Samsung was a rip-off of Apple in 2010. That has not been true for years now. I predict the same thing will happen with Chinese technology.

Japan's a very conservative traditionalist country. They've had a right-wing government in power for almost the whole post-war period. While that's turned them into a wealthy country and given them a miraculous recovery after the country was destroyed in WW2, social things like gender roles are very entrenched and this shows no sign of changing.
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 21:51

alter ...[text shortened]... body in the world.
    "“I’m 29 and will probably never get married,” said one poster. “Women are pitied if they don’t, but Japanese women who are married and working and have kids end up sleeping less than anybody in the world. To now hear that even our skills are suppressed makes me shake with rage.”"

Why are you telling people here on a chess site about Tokyo medical school? I doubt anyone here can do anything about it. 🙄
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Aug '18 22:101 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill
    "“I’m 29 and will probably never get married,” said one poster. “Women are pitied if they don’t, but Japanese women who are married and working and have kids end up sleeping less than anybody in the world. To now hear that even our skills are suppressed makes me shake with rage.”"

Why are you telling people here on a chess site about Tokyo medical school? I doubt anyone here can do anything about it. 🙄
    More people here seem interested in news about sexism in education than in Mchill's
    own created thread complaining about how his father mistreated him when fishing.
  12. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Aug '18 04:48
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    Part of the reason the Japanese economy has never recovered from the bursting of the asset price bubble in late 1991 is that they simply don't have enough children to support their economy. Japan has a rapidly ageing population. Despite nearly 30 lost years for the economy, Japan still has a competitive GDP per capita, en is the third most traded currency ...[text shortened]... in WW2, social things like gender roles are very entrenched and this shows no sign of changing.
    I’m actually a massive fan of the TPS and kaizen approach to production.

To add to it:
    Getting people to take responsibility for problems they encounter and their own mistakes; not to punish, but to evaluate and enhance within the context of a continual (re-) evaluation cycle, is the best way to create a good team to work with.

Well, hell, there you go. Something about what I actually do in reality.

But, back on topic, are the enforced traditional roles in Japanese society the main reason for the decline in population / high teenage suicide rate?
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Aug '18 18:26
    Part of the reason the Japanese economy has never recovered from the bursting of the asset price bubble in late 1991 is that they simply don't have enough children to support their economy. Japan has a rapidly ageing population. Despite nearly 30 lost years for the economy, Japan still has a competitive GDP per capita, en is the third most traded currency ...[text shortened]... in WW2, social things like gender roles are very entrenched and this shows no sign of changing.
    "I predict the same thing will happen with Chinese technology."
    --Ash

There's popular confusion of two separate issues: technology per se and quality control in mass production.

It's true that, given China's ruthlessly competitive marketplace (in many ways), some,
    though not all, Chinese companies 'cut corners' to the bone, minimizing their production
    costs at the expense of product quality, which leads to stereotypical shoddy goods.
    Not all Chinese companies do this, however, and not all Chinese goods are shoddy.
    One needs to consider this on a case-by-case basis.

But that has nothing necessarily to do with the level of Chinese technology,
    For historically understandable reasons, China initially put more effort into advancing
    technology in fields such as national defense (with successful original designs of ballistic
    missiles and hydrogen bombs by the mid-1960s) than in exporting consumer goods.
    Indeed, given the West's (particularly the USA's) general exclusion of Chinese imports
    until the 1970s (1980s?), China's economic planners lacked motivation to develop
    high quality consumer goods to export to the West.

Even around 1950, China had many able scientists and engineers, who had the capacity--in time--to
    develop or adapt advanced technology. China's technology was temporarily backward
    largely on account of the 30+ years of warfare (civil and foreign) since the Xinhai
    Revolution toppled the (decaying) Qing Dynasty in 1911.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Aug '18 18:30
    "Japan's a very conservative traditionalist country."
    --Ash

An oversimplification. Ash apparently assumes that official Japan or corporate Japan
    must represent all Japan. In reality, Japan has diverse cultural countercurrents.

I would suggest that Ash watch some 'dissident' Japanese films, in which there are
    scathingly critical examinations of official Japanese conformity and hypocrisy.
    (Teinosuke could give better recommendations than I about such films.)
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    11 Aug '18 18:401 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir to Ash
    I’m actually a massive fan of the TPS and kaizen approach to production.

To add to it:
    Getting people to take responsibility for problems they encounter and their own mistakes; not to punish, but to evaluate and enhance within the context of a continual (re-) evaluation cycle, is the best way to create a good team to work with.

Well, hell, t ...[text shortened]... s in Japanese society the main reason for the decline in population / high teenage suicide rate?
    "Are the enforced traditional roles in Japanese society the main reason for the decline in population?"
    --Shavixmir (to Ash)

Ash has got it backwards. When Japan was MORE traditional, it had a higher birth rate.

Japanese young women have become less traditional and feel less obliged to marry
    early and bear children just because that's what their culture expected of them.
    Consequently, more and more Japanese are marrying later or not at all.

http://theconversation.com/as-japan-undergoes-social-change-single-women-are-in-the-firing-line-96636

"As Japan undergoes social change, single women are in the firing line"

"Pro-natalist policies such as the provision of subsidised childcare and maternity leave
    have not extended to allow for flexible or family-friendly work practices.
    Overwork and an inability to combine work and family remain a challenge."

"The expectations of marriage can also be unattractive for women, particularly those
    who intend to continue working after marriage. ... Divorced Japanese women with children
    are extremely vulnerable. Nearly 90% of single (divorced) mothers are in the labour
    force, of which 61% live in poverty."

"An increasing proportion of Japanese adults will remain unmarried their whole lives,
    and should be considered full citizens rather than underperformers.

It is also the unpaid and underpaid labour of Japanese women that underpins the
    smooth running of Japanese society. The burden of inadequate state support for
    essential services like child- and elder-care rests on them."