Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 20:532 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar to Lundos
    If you can't make the distinction beyween sharia compliant muslim and muslim then you deserve to get your head cut off.
    The Christians in Egypt did not deserve to be killed, people like you do.
    The Islamophobic troll Eladar declares who he believes deserves to be beheaded.

Here's a Western feminist condemning Islamophobia:
    (Laurie Penny's a white woman, but not a 'White Feminist'.)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/22/this-isnt-feminism-its-islamophobia

"This isn't 'feminism'. It's Islamophobia.
    I am infuriated by white men stirring up anti-Muslim prejudice to derail debate on western sexism ."
    --Laurie Penny

"As a person who writes about women's issues, I am constantly being told that Islam is
    the greatest threat to gender equality in this or any other country – mostly by white men,
    who always know best. This has been an extraordinary year for feminism, but from the
    Rochdale grooming case to interminable debates over whether traditional Islamic dress
    is "empowering" or otherwise, the rhetoric and language of feminism has been co-opted
    by Islamophobes, who could not care less about women of any creed or colour."

"Structural sexism does take place every day in our universities, as it does in our offices, shops and
    homes – and we should oppose it everywhere. But demanding that feminists of every race and faith
    drop all our campaigns and stand against "radical Islam" sounds more and more like white
    patriarchy trying to make excuses for itself: "If you think we're bad, just look at these guys."
    It's the dishonesty that angers me most. It's the hypocrisy of men claiming to stand for women's
    rights while appropriating our language of liberation to serve their own small-minded agenda."

"Some of their members tell me that since they are standing against the sexism of
    Muslim barbarians, as a feminist I should be on their side. When I disagree, I am
    invariably informed I deserve be shipped to Afghanistan and stoned to death.
    Horror stories about Muslim misogyny have long been used by western patriarchs to
    justify imperialism abroad and sexism at home. ... the same logic is used to imply that
    misogyny only matters when it isn't being done by white men."

"I am not writing here on behalf of Muslim women, who can and do speak for themselves,
    and not all in one voice. I am writing this as a white feminist infuriated by white men using
    dog-whistle Islamophobia to derail any discussion of structural sexism; as someone who
    has heard too many reactionaries tell me to shut up about rape culture and the pay gap
    and just be grateful I'm not in Saudi Arabia."

"We are the fools, if we believe that accepting aggressive distinctions between nice, safe
    western sexism and scary, heathen Muslim sexism is going to serve the interests of
    women. The people making these arguments don't care about women. They care about
    stoking controversy, attacking Muslims and shouting down feminists of all stripes.
    For decades, western men have hijacked the language of women's liberation to justify their
    Islamophobia. If we care about the future of feminism, we cannot let them set the agenda."

I note that, in contrast to some condescending 'White Feminists', Laurie Penny does *not* pretend
    that she speaks on behalf of Muslim women or better understands the realities of their diverse lives.