Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 23 Sep '13 16:28
    For the most part, as far as i can discern, the focus has been on who shot JFK, rather than why he was killed. After some reading it appears that there are some, at least to me, interesting details and theories why he was shot. Now of course it may never be known but i would like to understand which is the most plausible and why.

1. Civil rights issues. It has been stated that Kennedy was a very popular president, but not with all, I have read that he was hated in the South not only because of the civil rights legislation but because he was a Roman Catholic. Was this enough to get him killed?

2. Executive Order 11110 in which JFK proposed to transfer power from the Federal Reserve to the United States Department of the Treasury by replacing Federal Reserve Notes with Silver Certificates. Was it enough to get him killed?

3. Kennedy planned to withdraw troops from Vietnam. Its been asserted that there may have been corporations which had a vested interest in prolonging the Vietnam war, was it enough to get him killed?

4. Links of the Kennedy family with organised crime, since prohibition in the 1920's, enough to get JFK killed?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    23 Sep '13 16:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    For the most part, as far as i can discern, the focus has been on who shot JFK, rather than why he was killed. After some reading it appears that there are some, at least to me, interesting details and theories why he was shot. Now of course it may never be known but i would like to understand which is the most plausible and why.

1. Civil rights ...[text shortened]... Kennedy family with organised crime, since prohibition in the 1920\'s, enough to get JFK killed?
    I like to think it was because he was Catholic.
  3. 23 Sep '13 17:29 / 1 edit

1. Civil rights ...[text shortened]... Kennedy family with organised crime, since prohibition in the 1920\'s, enough to get JFK killed?
    This extended quote is from

http://fff.org/explore-freedom/article/why-was-jfk-assassinated/

quote:

In 1960, Kennedy campaigned to the right of Richard Nixon, warning of “a missile gap” that had left the nation vulnerable to a Russian nuclear attack.

He entered the White House a committed cold warrior, declaring the time to be an “hour of maximum danger” for freedom. America, he said, would “pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” A primary beneficiary of the Kennedy administration was the military-industrial complex, as spending on both conventional and nuclear forces increased sharply from 1961 to 1963.

However, after clashing with his Joint Chiefs over a number of issues and witnessing the apparent treachery of the CIA regarding the Bay of Pigs invasion, Kennedy developed a mistrust of his national-security managers.

The Cuban Missile Crisis, which brought the United States and the Soviet Union to the brink of nuclear war, had a profound effect on JFK, and he emerged from it a changed man, determined to end the Cold War peacefully.

In June 1963, JFK delivered a speech at American University in which he called for the total abolishment of nuclear weapons. A few months later, his administration signed the Limited Test Ban Treaty with the Soviets.

He also began having private correspondences with Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, which enraged the CIA, and he was seeking a rapprochement with Cuba’s dictator Fidel Castro, which further incensed the agency.

But perhaps his National Security Action Memorandum 263 calling for the total withdrawal of U.S. troops from Vietnam by the end of 1965 was the final straw for the national security state.

That order, if implemented, would have disrupted many “national-security” operations that had been going on in Southeast Asia since the end of the Second World War. Interestingly, just days after JFK’s death, Lyndon Johnson signed National Security Action Memorandum 273 reversing JFK’s withdrawal plan. The rest, as they say, is history.
  4. 23 Sep '13 17:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I like to think it was because he was Catholic.
    Yeah, but was it enough to kill the man?
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    23 Sep '13 17:30
    Yeah, but was it enough to kill the man?
    Probably not. But that's my favorite conspiracy theory.
  6. 23 Sep '13 17:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    This extended quote is from

http://fff.org/explore-freedom/article/why-was-jfk-assassinated/

quote:

In 1960, Kennedy campaigned to the right of Richard Nixon, warning of “a missile gap” that had left the nation vulnerable to a Russian nuclear attack.

He entered the White House a committed cold warrior, declaring the time to be an “hour of maximum d ...[text shortened]... curity Action Memorandum 273 reversing JFK’s withdrawal plan. The rest, as they say, is history.
    Yes i read that, very interesting. Is it acknowledged or do we simply not know enough that the CIA was involved in his assassination? I also read that it was particularly , 'unhelpful' in the aftermath. Its not unknown for the CIA to recruit Mafiosi, if the end justifies the means.
  7. 23 Sep '13 17:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Probably not. But that's my favorite conspiracy theory.
    surething, what seems to be a common denominator is that he upset some very rich people, or those who stood to lose money.
  8. 23 Sep '13 17:50
    5. Some loony was a bit loony.
  9. 23 Sep '13 17:53
    He didn't do what the puppet masters wanted him to do.
  10. 23 Sep '13 17:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    what puppet masters and what did he not do?
  11. 23 Sep '13 17:56
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    no, its simply too convenient.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    23 Sep '13 18:06
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The Vatican and the Protestant warrior-merchants are different puppet masters who often come into conflict.
  13. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    23 Sep '13 18:06
    BORING
  14. 23 Sep '13 18:09
    no, its simply too convenient.
    A lot of people are killed by loonies for no particular reason other than the loonies being a bit loony. Why does it have to be a special reason if the person being killed is famous?
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    23 Sep '13 18:10
    A lot of people are killed by loonies for no particular reason other than the loonies being a bit loony. Why does it have to be a special reason if the person being killed is famous?
    Entertainment value.