Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Apr '16 22:11
    Some white men in this forum have argued or at least implied that black
    Africans don't care about education, are unwilling to study, or are unwilling
    to make any sacrifices for the privilege (often not a right) to attend school.
    These white men's stereotypes about black Africans are wrong.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3545455/I-sex-clients-night-went-school-morning-girls-young-14-selling-bodies-Sierra-Leone-little-3-time-just-education.html

"'I had sex with clients at night and went to school in the morning'
    The girls as young as 14 selling their bodies in Sierra Leone for as little
    as 3 GBP-a-time just to get an education"

"In Sierra Leone going to school costs around 40 GBP per year and many find themselves unable to afford education.
    In the poorest communities, some teenage girls are forced to make a stark choice: sell sex in return for schooling.
    Some girls become prostitutes, while others are preyed on by men in the community who promise to pay their fees.
    Many end up pregnant and abandoned, taking the lowest paid work to feed themselves and their child."

I expect some men in this forum to put all the blame upon the girls
    rather than upon the terrible conditions that they must endure.
    But this story should be enough to show how much some African girls value education.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    18 Apr '16 22:36
    On top of all that, there is a terrorist organization named "books are forbidden" who would do horrific things to these girls if they could.
  3. 19 Apr '16 22:20
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    On top of all that, there is a terrorist organization named "books are forbidden" who would do horrific things to these girls if they could.
    As far as I know, Boko Haram's not active in Sierra Leone. But if it were, then I suspect
    that the plight of girls' education in Sierra Leone would receive much more attention,
    sympathy, and perhaps even some financial support from the West.

My point is that women and girls in Africa face many problems unrelated to 'Islamic fundamentalism'.
    But the proximity of 'Islamic fundamentalism' or "Muslim terrorism' seems required to
    draw any significant Western attention or concern to these long running problems.
  4. 20 Apr '16 01:23
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    As far as I know, Boko Haram's not active in Sierra Leone. But if it were, then I suspect
    that the plight of girls' education in Sierra Leone would receive much more attention,
    sympathy, and perhaps even some financial support from the West.

My point is that women and girls in Africa face many problems unrelated to 'Islamic fundamentalism'.
    But the ...[text shortened]... s required to
    draw any significant Western attention or concern to these long running problems.
    Given the plight of women in Sierra Leone, and other parts of the planet, why is your anger so often targeting Western civilizations which have solved most of those problems, and are working on the rest/
  5. 20 Apr '16 01:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Given the plight of women in Sierra Leone, and other parts of the planet, why is your
    anger so often targeting Western civilizations which have solved most of those problems, and are working on the rest/
    The nearly illiterate Normbenign again shows his abysmal 'reading comprehension'.

While Normbenign may cling to his racist fantasy that white Europeans always have done
    their altruistic utmost to help black Africans, can Normbenign cite any evidence of how
    much 'Western civilizations' are doing to help female education in Sierra Leone?
  6. 20 Apr '16 01:55
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The nearly illiterate Normbenign again shows his abysmal 'reading comprehension'.

While Normbenign may cling to his racist fantasy that white Europeans always have done
    their altruistic utmost to help black Africans, can Normbenign cite any evidence of how
    much 'Western civilizations' are doing to help female education in Sierra Leone?
    Duchess64, completely illiterate, and severely mentally impaired, as well as truthfully handicapped, has to invent positions to argue against, since she clearly can't understand mine.