Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 03 Nov '10 12:52
    Looking at the election results of recent memory, something struck me. In yesterday's election results, the Republicans lost two key senate races. Both Angle and Oddonnel lost key Senatorial races for the Republican party. In addition, we have former rejects like Sarah Palin for the Republican party as well. In fact, the Republicans have lost few and far between elections except for the ones mentioned.

So what does this tell us about women running for office in the Republican party if anything?
  2. 03 Nov '10 13:00
    Not much. A couple republican women did win last night if I remember correctly.
  3. 03 Nov '10 13:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Looking at the election results of recent memory, something struck me. In yesterday's election results, the Republicans lost two key senate races. Both Angle and Oddonnel lost key Senatorial races for the Republican party. In addition, we have former rejects like Sarah Palin for the Republican party as well. In fact, the Republicans have lost few and far ...[text shortened]...
    So what does this tell us about women running for office in the Republican party if anything?
    Are you implying that some conservatives might still be wary about the idea of women holding power?

It would be logical to think that there are still a certain number of people who never bought into the feminist idea that a woman can do almost anything that a man can do, and can do it just as well if not better. But politically, at least, this doesn't seem to be the case.

The truly incredible thing is the reality that almost all conservatives seem to have no problem with women running for office. It's one of the most under-mentioned things -- the way we view women today has advanced so incredibly far, and it's happened so smoothly that it seems everyone takes it all for granted.
  4. 03 Nov '10 17:35 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Are you implying that some conservatives might still be wary about the idea of women holding power?

It would be logical to think that there are still a certain number of people who never bought into the feminist idea that a woman can do almost anything that a man can do, and can do it just as well if not better. But politically, at least, this doesn't ncredibly far, and it's happened so smoothly that it seems everyone takes it all for granted.
    You tell me, all I know is that some of the key races were only lost by women. In fact, Palin comes to mind in terms of how the Democrat party has had a successful run at discrediting Republican women.

So are they able to successfully present them as a ditz or extremist? In fact, I am still wondering what is so extreme about Angle compared to some of some of her other Tea Party counterparts have said. Perhaps it was when she suggested that the Department of Education should be done away with and that we really don't need them. Doesn't she know that children would be dying in the streets if that happened? In fact, in grades K-12 the US is #48 in the world in science and math. Why if she did away with the Department of education the US could fall all teh way to....er....um ..... to #49 in the world!!
  5. 03 Nov '10 17:48
    The Dept of Ed. is the smallest cabinet level dept. They don't really directly involve themselves with education services. I could see an argument for eliminating it or combining it with another department.

No matter the party, the increased invovement of women in politics is a great thing and should certainly impact the approaches to various issues more often in a good way.
  6. 03 Nov '10 18:10
    You tell me, all I know is that some of the key races were only lost by women. In fact, Palin comes to mind in terms of how the Democrat party has had a successful run at discrediting Republican women.

So are they able to successfully present them as a ditz or extremist? In fact, I am still wondering what is so extreme about Angle compared to some of som ...[text shortened]... ment of education the US could fall all teh way to....er....um ..... to #49 in the world!!
    one question I have regarding those who want to eliminate the Dept of Education.

A. Do you just want to eliminate the department? -- essentially sticking it back into the Dept of Health & Human Services and thus recreating the dept of Health, Education, and Welfare. In which case, ALL of the spending will continue as before.

OR

B. Do you want to actually eliminate all of the programs within the Dept of Education? -- things like the student loan program and Pell Grants.

Because unless they make it very clear what they mean, they're just fooling you into thinking they plan on doing B, while their plan is to just do A, and then claim they've made this big spending cut. Surely you're smart enough to see through this hocus-pocus?

Those who want B need to demand that candidates make it clear that they are promising to do B. Those who merely promise to "eliminate a department" should be immediately dismissed as charlatans.
  7. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    03 Nov '10 18:18
    Looking at the election results of recent memory, something struck me. In yesterday's election results, the Republicans lost two key senate races. Both Angle and Oddonnel lost key Senatorial races for the Republican party. In addition, we have former rejects like Sarah Palin for the Republican party as well. In fact, the Republicans have lost few and far ...[text shortened]...
    ...it tells me that the G O P is a bit less inclusive than the Democrats. Republicans like women who support conservative ideas...as long as they don't have too much power.
  8. 03 Nov '10 18:54
    Originally posted by bill718
    ...it tells me that the G O P is a bit less inclusive than the Democrats. Republicans like women who support conservative ideas...as long as they don't have too much power.
    Based on all you research located at .....(this is where you could post a link to a web site)
  9. 03 Nov '10 19:29
    Being a woman is possibly a small disadvantage:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/26611/some-americans-reluctant-vote-mormon-72yearold-presidential-candidates.aspx

But this kind of poll does not tell you how many people are more likely to vote for someone because the candidate is a woman.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    03 Nov '10 19:36
    Republicans are the party of male heterosexual WASPs. The fact that they can pull this off shows how powerful those WASPs are in this country. They can challenge everybody else combined on even terms.
  11. 03 Nov '10 22:32
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Republicans are the party of male heterosexual WASPs. The fact that they can pull this off shows how powerful those WASPs are in this country. They can challenge everybody else combined on even terms.
    WASPS Love MILFS
  12. 03 Nov '10 22:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Can you post anything factual?
  13. 04 Nov '10 02:01
    Originally posted by bill718
    If memory serves, Hillary got dumped for Obama. Perhaps this is a woman thing instead of a party thing.
  14. 05 Nov '10 12:41
    If memory serves, Hillary got dumped for Obama. Perhaps this is a woman thing instead of a party thing.
    Come to think of it, can the same be said for former House leader Nancy Pelosi?

It seems to me that her counterpart, Dirty Harry, saved his postition yet many in the Democrat party were ready to kick Nancy out if they had retained power in the House.
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Nov '10 13:20
    Mainly, it tells us that Angle and O'Donnell were bad candidates. Both lost races that were plainly winnable.