1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 11:482 edits
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    I had to say "basic" because Evolution Theory is fine and can work with the bible, except for the part about mankind evolving directly--and without any outside interference--from apes.
    I have one question for you. (Well, more than that, but they're all the same type.)

How do you think the typical "man on the street" of 3500 years ago would have reacted to the news that we were descended from apes?

How do you think the typical "man on the street" of 3500 years ago would have reacted to the news that the universe is 13.77 billion years old?

How do you think the typical "man on the street" of 3500 years ago would have reacted to the news that most disease is caused by tiny, invisible one-celled life-forms?

How do you think the typical "man on the street" of 3500 years ago would have reacted to the news that one day, we would be able to fly to the moon and walk around on it?

Yes, he would say we were insane. That is why this stuff isn't in the Bible.

Don't make the same mistake.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 12:24
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    I realize that people have theories about ages, ansestors, causes and so on. Popular beliefs about most of them are still matters of faith since they are all about the distant past. They therefore are beyond real validation, the truthfulness of these theories only reside in our explanations, our tests might give us the proper mathematical results we seek, ...[text shortened]... before us. So on faith it is expected and through peer presure it taught us as undeniable truth.
    But KJ, we have the evidence. They are NOT "matters of faith".

Come on, man. Step boldly into the age of reason. Find a way to reconcile what we believe and what we know. They can (and DO) co-exist.

Knowledge does not belittle faith. Ignorance does. And willful ignorance just turns it into a joke, a bad joke. We do NOT have to be ignorant to follow Christ. Following him only because we're ignorant doesn't do him or us any favors. Knowing the truth and still following him is what honors him. The Amish are wrong. We should not eschew living in the modern world in order to follow Christ. We must follow Christ even though we live in the modern world. This is the challenge before us. God is still "I AM."
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 13:31
    Originally posted by @suzianne

Come on, man. Step boldly into the age of reason. Find a way to reconcile what we believe and what we know. They can (and DO) co-exist.

Knowledge does not belittle faith. Ignorance does. And willful ignorance just turns it into a joke, a bad joke. We do NOT have to be ignora ...[text shortened]... though[/i] we live in the modern world. This is the challenge before us. God is still "I AM."
    The problem is when you think you know when all you have are assumptions. True believers are a screwed up dangerous bunch.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 13:36

Knowledge does not belittle faith. Ignorance does. And willful ignorance just turns it into a joke, a bad joke. We do NOT have to be ignora ...[text shortened]... though[/i] we live in the modern world. This is the challenge before us. God is still "I AM."
    We have evidence that doesn’t mean that we are rightly identifying what we are seeing! You want to tell me that what you claim about the distant past is beyond reproach, our interpretations are flawless, our conjecture without error? There is a difference between fact and theories, theories change to suit new information while facts are validated and even they can be questioned because we might misinterpret something casting doubt on the truth. I would not be so quick to claim science has answered anything since it is supposed to be a self correcting methodology and that because we are flawed so it has to be.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 04:52
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The problem is when you think you know when all you have are assumptions. True believers are a screwed up dangerous bunch.
    Shiaaat!! 😀
  6. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 05:452 edits
    I have one question for you. (Well, more than that, but they're all the same type.)

How do you think the typical "man on the street" of 3500 years ago would have reacted to the news that we were descended from apes?

How do you think the typical "man on the street" of 3500 years ago would have reacted to the news that the universe is 13.77 [i]billion ...[text shortened]... say we were insane. That is why this stuff isn't in the Bible.

I guess your point is, I shouldn't think it impossible that we descended directly from apes and without outside influence. And thanks, but I don't have that issue. So. Are you enjoying the 115 deg. temps by the way? It's been over 100 here for weeks but I guess I'm singing to the choir.
  7. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 05:50

I like what you said, although it shouldn't be forgotten that Christ and Christians are "not of this World." But I still think your ideal works. We just need to be cognizant that our ultimate priority involves things beyond this World.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 06:36
    I like what you said, although it shouldn't be forgotten that Christ and Christians are "not of this World." But I still think your ideal works. We just need to be cognizant that our ultimate priority involves things beyond this World.
    True, but I'm saying that we don't have to be afraid of what we know. We should be afraid of what we don't know. All things being equal, it's always better to know. I've said more than once in this forum that knowledge and faith are two sides of the same coin. It's better to have both than to have neither.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 06:37
    I guess your point is, I shouldn't think it impossible that we descended directly from apes and without outside influence. And thanks, but I don't have that issue. So. Are you enjoying the 115 deg. temps by the way? It's been over 100 here for weeks but I guess I'm singing to the choir.
    115 sucks. I hate sweating.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 09:48
    That's just not good enough.

What is written regarding the creation of the universe in Genesis was written about 3500 years ago by Moses. Almost all of our current understanding of how the universe was created has come about in the last 100 years.

What you are experiencing here is the conflict between writing the truth for man of 3500 years ago and ...[text shortened]... tant, but the Why. It's the Bible, not a science textbook. It doesn't have to stay up to date.
    Does it matter what year someone tells the truth about an event? What does it matter if
    the truth was spoken 3500 years ago, truth doesn't change only opinions. Since Moses
    had a relationship with God that was quite different than most people when God shares
    with Moses, I'll take that over what someone in a lab thinks something means when he
    does the math.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 09:55

I do believe truth, it is truth can and does co-exist in science and matters of faith, but that
    doesn't mean everything people believe in both are true. The sorting out of facts and
    errors is something we have to do. I accept scripture as a reliable source of truth, but I do
    not accepts man's conclusions with the same faith. Not because I think they are trying to
    lie, even though some do, we are just flawed no matter how careful we are. As soon as
    we start building a system to understand if we add anything wrong into our system like
    an assumption that isn't true the end result will be in error. I'm not interested in just
    finding a way to co-exist, it is truth or nothing in either world. I'm perfectly fine in saying
    that the universe is believed to be billions of years old, that is true, it isn't a proven fact.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    01 Aug '18 14:34
    The theory of evolution implies that humans and other complex organisms evolved from simple lifeforms, an implication corroborated by empirical evidence. This is obviously in contradiction with the Biblical account of the magical creation of complex lifeforms.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '18 14:43
    Originally posted by @fmf
    To me, Christianity - in its scripture - has not offered convincing answers to the questions of how the universe was formed and how humanity came about! To me, at best, it may have offered an allegory.

So ~ [b]to all those YEC ideologues out there
    [although, I'm not sure how many there are in this community now that RJHinds and josephw are no longer pos ...[text shortened]... uisitive humans to simply settle for explanations that you just so happened to have settled for?[/b]
    What convincing answers has atheism offered to the questions of how the universe was formed and how humanity came about?
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Aug '18 15:44
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    What convincing answers has atheism offered to the questions of how the universe was formed and how humanity came about?
    The universe has always existed, in one form or another, time merely being a mortal construct.

And humanity came about as a result of evolution. Didn't you know?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    01 Aug '18 15:59

How do you think the typical "man on the street" of 3500 years ago would have reacted to the news that the universe is 13.77 [i]billion ...[text shortened]... say we were insane. That is why this stuff isn't in the Bible.

Do you think that scientists know the exact age of the universe for sure without a shadow of a doubt? Are you aware of all the unprovable presuppositions that have to be made?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree