John 8:58

John 8:58

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i read a book, Teach yourself New Testament Greek and learned to read and write simple Koine Greek with some grammar. I have no qualifications and no schooling otherwise. You should try to learn it yourself, its not particularity difficult and so many Greek words have found their way into English, in fact our alphabet is partly based upon it. There ...[text shortened]... t for a student of Gods word, because English does not always carry the nuances of the original.
I have read "Teach Yourself NEW TESTAMENT GREEK" by Ian Macnair, "Learn New Testament Greek" by John H. Dobson, "Do It Yourself HEBREW AND GREEK" by Edward W. Goodrick, "A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek" by William D. Mounce, and "User-Friendly GREEK A Common Sense Approach To The GREEK New Testament by Kendell H. Easley.

For reference, I have the following:

1. "The NKJV Greek English Interlinear New Testament" which features Word Studies from Translators: Arthur L.Farstad, Zane C. Hodges, C. Michael Moss, Robert E. Picirilli, and Wilbur N. Pickering

2. "Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament" by Joseph H. Thayer

3. "ANALYTICAL GREEK NEW TESTAMENT The complete text of the United Bible Societies Greek New Testament with interlinear grammatical analysis of each word" with analysis by Barabara and Timothy Friberg

4. "The ANALYTICAL LEXICON TO THE GREEK NEW TESTAMENT" By William D. Mounce

5. "Greek Enchiridion A Concise Handbook of Grammar for Translation and Exegesis" By William G. Mac Donald

6. "NEW TESTAMENT GREEK SYNTAX AN ILLUSTRATED MANUAL" By Wesley J. Perschbacher

7. "Vine's expositionary dictionary of new testament words unabridged edition" By W.E. Vine

8. "The Complete Word Study Dictionary: New testament" by Dr. Spiros Zodhiates

9. "THE SEPTUAGINT WITH APOCRYPHA Greek and English" By Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton

10. "GRAMMAR of SEPTUAGINT GREEK" By F.C. Conybeare and St. George Stock

But I have no formal schooling in New Testament or Septuagint Greek.

The Instructor

rc

Moves
24 Jun 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have read "Teach Yourself NEW TESTAMENT GREEK" by Ian Macnair, "Learn New Testament Greek" by John H. Dobson, "Do It Yourself HEBREW AND GREEK" by Edward W. Goodrick, "A Graded Reader of Biblical Greek" by William D. Mounce, and "User-Friendly GREEK A Common Sense Approach To The GREEK New Testament by Kendell H. Easley.

For reference, I have the follo ...[text shortened]... schooling in New Testament or Septuagint Greek.

The Instructor
I dont believe anything you say, you cannot tell the difference between the subject of a clause and a predicate noun.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 13

Originally posted by sonship
Robbie complains -

pretending first-born really doesn't mean first-born

Because they want to believe that the Word was created first before all other things in creation the JWs have to have two Gods in John 1.

[b]"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was
[some other God]" Is how they want yo ...[text shortened]... e angel, who is the Logos, and who is some secondary First and some secondary Last.[/b]
This reminds me that as the cult of the Jehovah's Witnesses teach that a created angel can become a god, the cult of Mormonism teaches that a created man can become a god. One of the Morman leaders even taught the God of the Holy Bible was once a man like we are. It is sort of like God evolution.

The Instructor

rc

Moves
24 Jun 13

This reminds me that as the cult of the Jehovah's Witnesses teach that a created angel can become a god, the cult of Mormonism teaches that a created man can become a god. One of the Morman leaders even taught the God of the Holy Bible was once a man like we are. It is sort of like God evolution.

The Instructor
really, well i suspect anyone that believes three Gods in one and then makes a claim of monotheism will believe just about anything.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 13

really, well i suspect anyone that believes three Gods in one and then makes a claim of monotheism will believe just about anything.
Well, at least, I do not believe that a created angel can evolve into a god like the JWs do or that even a created man can evolve into a god like some of the Mormons teach.

The Instructor

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 13
1 edit

I dont believe anything you say, you cannot tell the difference between the subject of a clause and a predicate noun.
Why would i quote all that, if I did not have them? And you have not proven that I do not know the difference between the subject of a clause and a predicate noun. Your assertion is proof of nothing.

Okay, If you have the same "Teach Yourself NEW TESTAMENT GREEK" by Ian Macnair that I have then the first chapter is titled:

Learning the ABG - the ABG?

The Instructor

rc

Moves
24 Jun 13

Why would i quote all that, if I did not have them? And you have not proven that I do not know the difference between the subject of a clause and a predicate noun. Your assertion is proof of nothing.

The Instructor
its self evident that you dont know anything about Greek and simply citing a host of reference's doesn't prove that you do, no one believes anything you say, you cannot be trusted.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 13

its self evident that you dont know anything about Greek and simply citing a host of reference's doesn't prove that you do, no one believes anything you say, you cannot be trusted.
Okay, If you have the same "Teach Yourself NEW TESTAMENT GREEK" by Ian Macnair that I have then the first chapter is titled:

The Instructor

rc

Moves
24 Jun 13

The Instructor
no i dont have the same book as you, but if i did i would kill myself, I have New Testament Greek by D.F Hudson, part of the teach yourself series published in America by David Mackay company inc.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Jun 13
2 edits

John 8 (21st Century King James Version)
58 Jesus said unto them, “Verily, verily I say unto you, before Abraham was, I am!”

American Standard Version (ASV)
8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.

Amplified Bible (AMP)
John 8:58 Jesus replied, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, before Abraham was born, I Am.

Common English Bible (CEB)
John 8:58 “I assure you,” Jesus replied, “before Abraham was, I Am.”

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
John 8:58 Yeshua said to them, “Yes, indeed! Before Avraham came into being, I AM!”

Contemporary English Version (CEV)
John 8:58 Jesus answered, “I tell you for certain that even before Abraham was, I was, and I am.”

Darby Translation (DARBY)
John 8:58 Jesus said to them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
John 8:58 Jesus said to them: Amen, amen I say to you, before Abraham was made, I am.

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
John 8:58 Jesus answered, “The fact is, before Abraham was born, I Am.”

English Standard Version (ESV)
John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

English Standard Version Anglicised (ESVUK)
John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

Expanded Bible (EXB)
John 8:58 Jesus answered, “·I tell you the truth [L Truly, truly I say to you], before Abraham was even born, ·I am!”

1599 Geneva Bible (GNV)
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily I say unto you, before Abraham was, I am.

GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
John 8:58 Jesus told them, “I can guarantee this truth: Before Abraham was ever born, I am.”

Good News Translation (GNT)
John 8:58 “I am telling you the truth,” Jesus replied. “Before Abraham was born, ‘I Am’.”

The Message (MSG)
John 8:58 “Believe me,” said Jesus, “I am who I am long before Abraham was anything.”

Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
John 8:58 Rebbe, Melech HaMoshiach said to them, Omein, omein, I say to you, before Avraham came into being, Ani Hu.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 13

no i dont have the same book as you, but if i did i would kill myself, I have New Testament Greek by D.F Hudson, part of the teach yourself series published in America by David Mackay company inc.
I am sure mine must be much better.

The Instructor

rc

Moves
24 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
58 Jesus said unto them, “Verily, verily I say unto you, before Abraham was, I am!”

8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was born, I am.

Amplified Bible (AMP)
John 8:58 Jesus replied, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, before Abraham w ...[text shortened]... ech HaMoshiach said to them, Omein, omein, I say to you, before Avraham came into being, Ani Hu.
why dont you make reference to the Greek text and tell us why its translated in the way that it is, citing different renderings of the verse proves nothing other than Christians have no way of knowing that the translation that they are using is accurate. If all are translated in a certain way then it must be accurate is a logical fallacy..

rc

Moves
24 Jun 13

I am sure mine must be much better.

The Instructor
I doubt it, you cannot tell the difference between the Greek idiomatic construct and the English.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Jun 13

Amplified Bible (AMP)
John 8:58 Jesus replied, I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, before Abraham w ...[text shortened]... ech HaMoshiach said to them, Omein, omein, I say to you, before Avraham came into being, Ani Hu.
I went to several different translations and versions I got tired of copying
and pasting them, but the all agreed I don't care how old the translation or
version.
Kelly

rc

Moves
24 Jun 13

I went to several different translations and versions I got tired of copying
and pasting them, but the all agreed I don't care how old the translation or
version.
Kelly
your approach is nonsense, why dont you tell us why the verse is translated in the way that it is.