The Pharisee and the Tax Collector

The Pharisee and the Tax Collector

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
LOL, your condemnation isn't your opinion you think its a fact?
I meant exactly what I said: "It's your opinion" is not an argument or debating point. It's something people blurt out when they don't have an argument or debating point.

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@dj2becker said
Yes, your inability to tell me whether the pharisee or the tax collector exhibited 'humility' speaks volumes about your supposed superior understanding of the word 'humility'.
Yo asked me about the Pharisee, and I gave you a straightforward answer plus an explanation of how I arrived at it.

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
Its your opinion, you condemn others for their faith, the one you claimed to have
walked away from.
I have never condemned anyone "for their faith" in over ten years here on this forum.

Moves
09 Oct 18
1 edit

@fmf said
Yo asked me about the Pharisee, and I gave you a straightforward answer plus an explanation of how I arrived at it.
This was my exact question:

Based upon your understanding of the word 'humility', would you describe the pharisee or the tax collector as humble (based on the information given in the OP)? Or neither?

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@dj2becker said
This was my exact question:

Based upon your understanding of the word 'humility', would you describe the pharisee or the tax collector as humble (based on the information given in the OP)? Or neither?
Asked and answered.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Oct 18

@fmf said
I have never condemned anyone "for their faith" in over ten years here on this forum.
"It's arrogant and conceited and egotistical. It's the diametrically opposite of humility."

Moves
09 Oct 18

@fmf said
Asked and answered.
Answered without being able to identify the humble party in the OP.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Oct 18

@fmf said
I meant exactly what I said: "It's your opinion" is not an argument or debating point. It's something people blurt out when they don't have an argument or debating point.
Your opinion is here as well, just to be clear unless you are of the opinion your
opinion is some how a factual statement not your point of view. If that is the case
I suggest you meditate on that point and the OP.

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
"It's arrogant and conceited and egotistical. It's the diametrically opposite of humility."
The self-deceiving aspect of it is things like Christians trotting out the last sentence of your OP.

Christians equate being "born again" with modesty. They go around talking about how they have found "God" and how "God" has a special purpose for them.

They poopoo the different "Gods" of other theists. They brandish their supposed personal monopoly of "the truth". They even peddle the idea that dissenters deserve to be tortured for their thoughtcrimes.

This is all presented as "humility", although it seems more like complete and utter immodesty to me - to claim that one has been "chosen" in this way - or that one can possibly know that one has been selected - ahead of billions and billions of other walking-talking human beings.

Meanwhile, one is characterizing everyone as "evil and wicked" but ~ hey presto ~ as for oneself ~ ah yes, one is "forgiven" for all this and rendered "righteous" in the eyes of a supernatural being [with whom one supposedly has a "personal relationship"] - thanks to some ideology that one has memorized and internalized - and which will result in one being immortal in an afterlife.

"Born again" ideology is arrogant and conceited and egotistical.

It's diametrically opposite of humility.

It ought not to be described a "humility".

If your religious faith makes you engage in immodesty, self-exceptionalism, and misanthropy, you should own it - just own it - don't hide behind distorted and disingenuos usage of the word "humility".

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
Your opinion is here as well, just to be clear unless you are of the opinion your
opinion is some how a factual statement not your point of view. If that is the case
I suggest you meditate on that point and the OP.
You are still hiding behind muttery posts like these rather than acknowledge the kinds of things that I am putting to you - explicitly and specifically - that the word "humility" does not describe.

Moves
09 Oct 18
1 edit

@fmf said
The self-deceiving aspect of it is things like Christians trotting out the last sentence of your OP.

Christians equate being "born again" with modesty. They go around talking about how they have found "God" and how "God" has a special purpose for them.

They poopoo the different "Gods" of other theists. They brandish their supposed personal monopoly of "the truth". They ev ...[text shortened]... uld own it - just own it - don't hide behind distorted and disingenuos usage of the word "humility".
I presume you do believe this post of yours is not an example of you taking a poo poo on the Christian faith?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Oct 18

@fmf said
You are still hiding behind muttery posts like these rather than acknowledge the kinds of things that I am putting to you - explicitly and specifically - that the word "humility" does not describe.
Fact or your opinion?

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@dj2becker said
Answered without being able to identify the humble party in the OP.
I don't know much about Pharisee Jews. Perhaps he was being totally honest. Perhaps that was the way his religion made him feel he must pray. I don't know whether, within the term of reference of his religion, he was being humble or not humble or obedient or disobedient, how can I know? What he says seem OK to me. It seems like a list of facts related to his religious observance. If there is a disconnect between his ideology and the resulting belief, then I am unaware of it.

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@dj2becker said
I presume you do believe this post of your is not an example of you taking a poopoo on the Christian faith?
I am poopooing the notion that this manifestation of the faith is an example of "humility".

F

Moves
09 Oct 18

@kellyjay said
Fact or your opinion?
It's a fact that you have completely sidestepped the specific things I said.