Debates Forum

1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 13:16
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    not a problem...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/25/making-gunpowder-from-urine-natural-materials/
    That would be great for your survivalist buddies in Montana but won't catch on much anywhere else.
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 14:22
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    That would be great for your survivalist buddies in Montana but won't catch on much anywhere else.
    pretty weak response...gun powder can be made by the average person...kind of nullifies the argument being made about lack of gun powder doesn't it?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    The problem here is the misleading premise.

Photo copying didn’t end the passport, internet streaming hasn’t murdered the cinema and 3-D guns will have little impact on gun control.
    From your vantage point, but when TV first came out most thought that was a short fad.
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 18:48
    pretty weak response...gun powder can be made by the average person...kind of nullifies the argument being made about lack of gun powder doesn't it?
    Wow !!
    Moonshine and gun powder !!

You guys are advanced !! 😀
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    26 Jul '18 20:20
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Well the US already has some gun control. With these 3-D printers though, they could undermine what now exists.

The article seemed to feel that only the really expensive metal 3-D printers were a threat to gun control since they can cost up to $100,000.

For the average person this is a lot of money, but it is not a lot of money for someone who wants to boot leg selling guns.
    You're just retelling the OP.

Do you have any further insights into this? An opinion?

Should the idea of guncontrol be permanently dismissed because of 3D printing? Will school shootings happen anyway because of 3D printing and should therefore every school be guarded by 5 armed policemen and every teacher should have a gun?

What say you?
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 02:53
    not a problem...

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/25/making-gunpowder-from-urine-natural-materials/
    You can make a gun in a machine shop. What does that have to do with 3D printing?
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 11:32
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    You can make a gun in a machine shop. What does that have to do with 3D printing?
    oh yeah I forgot, everyone has a machine shop now and the education to use it...
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 17:05
    Originally posted by @deepthought
    Simple, control the supply of ammunition. A gun is an inefficient hammer without bullets.
    I had some neighbors that were hunting enthusiasts. They made their own bullets at one time decades ago.

https://taskandpurpose.com/ammo-expensive-heres-make/

Even if gun powder is illegal to buy you could probably make your own. Besides, the NRA here in the states would never let that happen.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 17:15
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://3dprint.com/139537/3d-printed-guns/

Pretty interesting article about 3-D printing and gun control. The article states that although you can currently make guns with a 3-D printer, at most they are good for one shot and is all. This is because the plastic used to make the guns are not capable of continued use.

However, there are 3-D printers t ...[text shortened]... o what say you? Should 3-D printing be nixed for the common man or only used by the government?
    A plastic gun is useful to get through a metal detector to attempt an assassination or terrorist goal. For a good gun that lasts you would need to make a rifle barrel from steel. There are metal tools for rifling a barrel. An experienced machinist can make a gun from scratch that works well. 3D printers can help with the parts of the gun other than the rifle barrel.
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 17:521 edit
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    I had some neighbors that were hunting enthusiasts. They made their own bullets at one time decades ago.

https://taskandpurpose.com/ammo-expensive-heres-make/

Even if gun powder is illegal to buy you could probably make your own. Besides, the NRA here in the states would never let that happen.
    Pyrodex is probably a safer alternative and legal in this country, so I imagine they're giving it away in cereal packets in yours. I'm sure your neighbours knew what they were doing, but the average dope who would make a 3D printed gun probably couldn't make a cartridge that wouldn't need to be in a gun metal barrel to not explode. I suspect that a plastic gun with home made ammunition would be less safe for the user than 17th Century muskets.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 18:43
    Pyrodex is probably a safer alternative and legal in this country, so I imagine they're giving it away in cereal packets in yours. I'm sure your neighbours knew what they were doing, but the average dope who would make a 3D printed gun probably couldn't make a cartridge that wouldn't need to be in a gun metal barrel to not explode. I suspect that a plastic gun with home made ammunition would be less safe for the user than 17th Century muskets.
    They are already known finger removers.
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 19:36
    oh yeah I forgot, everyone has a machine shop now and the education to use it...
    That's what the AK47 was specifically designed for. Uneducated workers to make by hand.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '18 21:38
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    That's what the AK47 was specifically designed for. Uneducated workers to make by hand.
    With hand drills and a kiln....
  14. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Jul '18 00:47
    Making black powder is easy. The hardest part is grinding the charcoaI fine enough to burn fast. I used to make home made bottle rockets from it when I was a kid. Good enough for a muzzle loader, but I'm sure better gun powders are out there to buy.

This is the internet age. People will find a way to make anything prohibited if they are motivated enough. Pandora's box is wide open.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Jul '18 17:471 edit
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    You're just retelling the OP.

Do you have any further insights into this? An opinion?

Should the idea of guncontrol be permanently dismissed because of 3D printing? Will school shootings happen anyway because of 3D printing and should therefore every school be guarded by 5 armed policemen and every teacher should have a gun?

What say you?
    I realize you think I have all the answers.

That's understandable.

So I declare to all the following:

Here ye, here ye!! 3-D printers can create guns so ban all the 3-D printer ink! 😛

Seriously, it's a question for society. IF society decides to ban guns, then they will have to ban the printers. It's just that simple.