Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 07:511 edit
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I see A is akin to B, but I'm not sure what you are calling a strawman.
    I don't see it either.

It's a common tactic of ThinkOfOne.
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 07:59
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    How quaint to pull out the over used quote from Gahndi the Goat--- an air of superiority-inspired insult gloved with an alleged kinship with the Christ.
    Gahndi wouldn't know Christ if he were sitting on His lap.
    The cop-out of rejecting Christianity on the basis of its declared adherents' failure to wholly represent actions and functions exclusive to the ...[text shortened]... ng Hinduism on the basis of the abject moral failures of such a "great soul" as the man himself.
    Who's this great man in Hinduism you refer to?

Oh please, don't keep me in suspense...
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 08:021 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Again, in your opinion and interpretation...
    Well, uh, no.
    I hold up what the gospels say Jesus said and done.
    I hold up your mad ramblings

And I compare the two.

You're about as much a Christian as Pontious Pilot or Herod were.

If Jesus met you, even he would say: "No bloody way! I'll give this reserve brain to sheep."
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:511 edit
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I don't see it either.

It's a common tactic of ThinkOfOne.
    And what exactly is this "common tactic" that you are insinuating?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 18:033 edits
    I see A is akin to B, but I'm not sure what you are calling a strawman.
    First you'll need to understand the post to which Freaky was responding, what Freaky posted in response and how they differ. Where do you think they differ?

Seems like you might only be considering Freaky's response.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 18:52
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    First you'll need to understand the post to which Freaky was responding, what Freaky posted in response and how they differ. Where do you think they differ?

Freaky's response was to you when you posted a quote from M.K. Gandhi, which was intended to convey the sentiment that there is nothing offensive to the world about the Christ while there is plenty to be offended at from Christians.

There is, without question, no straw man introduced or argued about.
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 19:341 edit

Your argument seems to hinge on the fact that although Christ was perfect, Christians are anything but perfect. I don't know any Christian who could argue with this, because if a Christian could be perfect there would be no need for a Christ. You quoted Gandhi as saying:

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

I don't know what your beliefs are so I'm unsure of your point. If you are saying Christians aren't perfect we are in agreement. But if you're accusing Christians of not being perfect enough (according to you and Gandhi) then it's still not clear to me what you mean. Unless you're able to spell out just how close to perfection you believe a Christian must be (to meet with Gandhi's approval) your argument dies on the vine before reaching fruition.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 19:35
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Well, uh, no.
    I hold up what the gospels say Jesus said and done.
    I hold up your mad ramblings

And I compare the two.

You're about as much a Christian as Pontious Pilot or Herod were.

If Jesus met you, even he would say: "No bloody way! I'll give this reserve brain to sheep."
    The world hated Jesus and Jesus said that you would hate Christians.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 19:51
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Typical Libtard hate mongering, only a Dim is compassionate and not a bigot?
    Please! This is encouraging violent protest and I hope every violent protester, who breaks the law in any way gets arrested!
    Disgusting commentary.
    You did not read the article. At no point in the article does she advocate protests of any sort. She merely says that Republicans need to be shamed when they spout sexist or racist baloney. She is right.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 20:396 edits
    Your argument seems to hinge on the fact that although Christ was perfect, Christians are anything but perfect. I don't know any Christian who could argue with this, because if a Christian could be perfect there would be no need for a Christ. You quoted Gandhi as saying:

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike ...[text shortened]... ust be (to meet with Gandhi's approval) your argument dies on the vine before reaching fruition.
    Who said anything about "perfect[ion]"?

The quote was "Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" - not "Your Christians are not perfect like Christ".

If someone were to say, "He is so unlike his brother", what would that mean to you?

Also what does this have to do with how my post and Freaky's response differ? Are you working up to it?
  11. Standard memberlemon lime
    ookookachu
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 22:261 edit
    Who said anything about "perfect[ion]"?

The quote was "Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" - not "Your Christians are not perfect like Christ".

If someone were to say, "He is so unlike his brother", what would that mean to you?

Also what does this have to do with how my post and Freaky's response differ? Are you working up to it?

It obviously means they are brothers who are very different.

But the point you wish to make still eludes me. I have no idea what you believe or what (if any) 'religious' beliefs you may have (Hinduism, Buddhism, Pantheism, Agnosticism, Atheism... Christian?). Knowing this would go a long way toward my understanding your point of view.

If you were a Buddhist, and I said "I like your Buddha. I do not like your Buddhists. Your Buddhists are so unlike your Buddha.”
    What would that mean to you?
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 23:55
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Who's this great man in Hinduism you refer to?

Oh please, don't keep me in suspense...
    "Great man" was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the adopted name Gandhi took for himself, Mahatma, which is Sanskrit for 'great soul.'
  13. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 01:57
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so everyone should just "give trump a chance", right?

you forget that not tolerating someone's crap doesn't have to lead to violence (not at first anyway). you forget that the vast majority of the protests right after trump had won were peaceful (no matter how much fox and breitbart had lied about them being otherwise)

just now, the republicans tried ...[text shortened]... actions

that's what this link asks. for people to pay attention and to act. within the law.
    Give trump a chance just like Neville Chamberlein gave Adolph Hitler a chance through appeasement during WWII.
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 03:46
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Like some other trolls,...
    The place you come from doesn't produce stuff worth listening to.
  15. Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 04:25
    Originally posted by Phranny
    Give trump a chance just like Neville Chamberlein gave Adolph Hitler a chance through appeasement during WWII.
    Except Trump is no Hitler...