Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 05 Aug '11 19:20
    Well, with the threat of some of the military budget being slashed, should we be all that concerned....? after all there is a gun behind every blade of grass in America.
    How many militias do you figure we have, and how well prepared are they...
    I say very well prepared to defend their country, here....on our soil.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    05 Aug '11 19:55
    Against who?
  3. 05 Aug '11 22:45
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Against who?
    everyone, and anyone,, right now we s
    eem to be leaving the border to the south unguarded, so for debate sakes, lets say the drug cartels in Mexico. Given a green light from our government, how would a militia do....? I wonder how many vets we have wondering around in this country?
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    05 Aug '11 22:54 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    eem to be leaving the border to the south unguarded, so for debate sakes, lets say the drug cartels in Mexico. Given a green light from our government, how would a militia do....? I wonder how many vets we have wondering around in this country?
    The Mexican criminals will lose to the American criminals/tough guys/militia/etc if things came down to that. No question. The only reason we need a military there is to keep it from getting ugly, and it would be very ugly, but eventually they'd realize brutality will not beat Americans. They come here to study military science and to do business. They do the brutality over there where they don't have to face Americans.

EDIT - When Ron Gochez called white people "frail" he made a big mistake that probably cost the lives of quite a few chicanos and even more illegal immigrants. You don't publicly disrespect tough guys. That's one of the rules.
  5. 06 Aug '11 00:43
    You might want to read Civil War II. Its a downloadable PDF file. Just google it. Written circa late 90s, it predicts a national breakup over primarily racial lines, with eventually 3 or 4 new nations emerging from the ashes.

The author is retired US military who served in a number of places where ethnic civil wars have taken place including Lebanon, and the Balkans. What is scarey about it is that since its writting, many of the forcast triggers or stimulants to that war have already occured. It's worth the read, of course it's free, so you don't have to get that much out of it.

As to militias, some are better trained and equipped than others. It is probably somewhat the same as it was at the time of the Revolution. Militias weren't well trained at meeting British regulars on open battlefields, but they could be trained for asymetrical battle and were succesful at slowing Cornwallis down until he could finally be defeated at Yorktown.
  6. 06 Aug '11 08:25
    Originally posted by normbenign
    You might want to read Civil War II. Its a downloadable PDF file. Just google it. Written circa late 90s, it predicts a national breakup over primarily racial lines, with eventually 3 or 4 new nations emerging from the ashes.

The author is retired US military who served in a number of places where ethnic civil wars have taken place including Lebanon ...[text shortened]... nd were succesful at slowing Cornwallis down until he could finally be defeated at Yorktown.
    I don't know if I could compare the training of the Militia in the revolutionary war, with the many well trained miltia members now in the states. We have been fighting for years, that experience is still here, and valuable. I think we also have much better weapons, and more of them that any soldier had in the revolutionary war.
    Jeez, I have friends with several gun vaults, and weapons from Ak-47 to barrett sniper rifles....
  7. 06 Aug '11 16:30 / 1 edit
    Well, with the threat of some of the military budget being slashed, should we be all that concerned....? after all there is a gun behind every blade of grass in America.
    Maybe the government should send out a census to try and collect the information.

It shoud look something like this.

1. Number of soldiers. -----

2. Number of semi-automatic guns. -------

3. Number o pistols -------

4. Number of flame throwers -------

5. Number of knives -------

6. Number of bazooka's -------

7. Number of military flying craft -------- (Please specify)

8. Number of land mines --------

9. Permits for weapons? --------

10. How do you feel about the US federal government? (Please refrain from profanity and threats)

11. Race? (Black, Caucasion, Hispanic, etc)

12. Income level?

Edit: None of the above will be shared with any other government agencies and is purely confidiential information.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    06 Aug '11 19:12
    USA. One of the few countries that actually wants to be invaded. We'd have a blast showing the rest of you how a real insurgency is done. But nobody wants to play over here.
  9. 06 Aug '11 20:27
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    USA. One of the few countries that actually wants to be invaded. We'd have a blast showing the rest of you how a real insurgency is done. But nobody wants to play over here.
    Americans do seem to have a love affair with violence and weaponary. I guess the only invasion comes south of the border. In fact, some militia's patrol the border themsevles from what I hear.
  10. 06 Aug '11 21:56
    there is no danger from the south. the only force americans need to be weary of is their own government. that's the only force on earth that can take away their liberties.
  11. 07 Aug '11 00:13
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    there is no danger from the south. the only force americans need to be weary of is their own government. that's the only force on earth that can take away their liberties.
    good point....
    they have done a great job spending our money...
  12. 07 Aug '11 00:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    Maybe the government should send out a census to try and collect the information.

It shoud look something like this.

1. Number of soldiers. -----

2. Number of semi-automatic guns. -------

3. Number o pistols -------

4. Number of flame throwers -------

5. Number of knives -------

6. Number of bazooka's -------

7. Number of mil ...[text shortened]... bove will be shared with any other government agencies and is purely confidiential information.
    Lol,, too funny....
    I have no weapons, who needs a stinking weapon?
  13. 07 Aug '11 03:45
    Do you mean the “Militia of the several states”, for whom, according to Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution, the President shall be Commander and Chief, when they are “called into the actual Service of the United States”?
  14. 07 Aug '11 05:09
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Do you mean the “Militia of the several states”, for whom, according to Article II, Section 2 of the Constitution, the President shall be Commander and Chief, when they are “called into the actual Service of the United States”?
    Yep, I'm sure they will all lay down their arms once this is pointed out to them.
  15. 07 Aug '11 05:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yep, I'm sure they will all lay down their arms once this is pointed out to them.
    Well, people sometimes speak of militias under the aegis of the Constitution (e.g., in reference to the 2nd Amendment). I would take it that the “well regulated Militia” of the 2nd Amendment means—whatever else it means—the same Militia as that cited in the 2nd Article of the Constitution. I’ll defer to any experts on Constitutional history and interpretation however.

Outside that, my Webster’s Unabridged has three definitions of “militia”: 1. A body of citizens enrolled for military service, and called out periodically for drill but serving full time only in emergencies; 2. A body of citizen soldiers as distinguished from professional soldiers; 3. All able-bodied males considered by law eligible for military service.

None of these would seem to include just a privately construed group of armed people training and acting for just any purpose, but calling themselves a militia. Hugh’s opening post indicates that he’s talking about groups whose purpose is the national defense, but that are privately construed and not necessarily subject to any outside authority. In pursuing the national defense alongside the military—he said weakened, not non-existent—I would assume that such privately construed militias might submit themselves to the Constitutional government (Hugh's "given a green light by our government" ).

Please remember, whodey, that I support bearing arms. I know it is hard for you to wrap your head around that…