Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Apr '17 19:59
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-moves-to-become-%e2%80%98sanctuary-state%e2%80%99-and-others-look-to-follow/ar-BBzDszq?li=BBnb7Kz

Right now I'm pushing for my state to be a sanctuary state as well, but only for taxation.

I reckon if California can ignore federal immigration laws them I should be free to ignore federal taxation laws, right?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    10 Apr '17 20:05 / 10 edits
    YouTube : Beach Boys California

Have you ever been north of Morro Bay?
    The south coast ploughs the sea
    and the people there
    are of the breed
    that don't need electricity...

Have you ever been down Salinas Way?
    where Steinbeck found the Valley
    and he wrote about it
    the way it was
    in his Travellin's With Charley*...

Have you ever been to a festival -
    the Big Sur congregation?
    Where Country Joe
    will do his show
    And he'll sing about liberty
    And the people there in the open air
    are one big family.
    Yeah the people there love to sing and share
    Their new found liberty

*wikipedia.org/wiki/Travels_with_Charley
  3. 10 Apr '17 20:28
    Whodey Logic ®: "states' rights" when it concerns things the federal government does I don't like. Whine when states do things contrary to what the federal government wants when it concerns things I do like.
  4. Standard member vivify
    rain
    10 Apr '17 21:39
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/california-moves-to-become-%e2%80%98sanctuary-state%e2%80%99-and-others-look-to-follow/ar-BBzDszq?li=BBnb7Kz

Right now I'm pushing for my state to be a sanctuary state as well, but only for taxation.

I reckon if California can ignore federal immigration laws them I should be free to ignore federal taxation laws, right?
    Aren't you the one always bitching about state rights? Aren't you always the one bitching about how states should be able to make their own laws and govern themselves, and not have to bow to an overbearing government?

Oh, but when it comes to states not following your conservative ideology, you're full of shtt. Got it.
  5. 10 Apr '17 21:43

Sure, go ahead.
  6. 10 Apr '17 21:53

yeh! you do that. then california will stop paying taxes

just curious, exactly how much taxes is your state paying vs california? and how much federal grants are you getting vs california?
  7. 11 Apr '17 03:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yeh! you do that. then california will stop paying taxes

just curious, exactly how much taxes is your state paying vs california? and how much federal grants are you getting vs california?
    I'd love to see states stop paying taxes.

If the states don't pay taxes, why should I pay taxes?

Oh wait you mean no longer withholding federal income tax for people that work for the state.

That would be no bueno for the workers and could bring lawyers down on California for being a noncompliant employer.
  8. 11 Apr '17 09:04
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'd love to see states stop paying taxes.

If the states don't pay taxes, why should I pay taxes?

Oh wait you mean no longer withholding federal income tax for people that work for the state.

That would be no bueno for the workers and could bring lawyers down on California for being a noncompliant employer.
    huh? what are you trying to communicate with this word soup?
    that states shouldn't pay taxes? because they each live in a self sustained bubble, right? that california has plenty farmland and Iowa has that thriving tech industry? Is that what you're saying?

Are you saying perhaps that each state should pay for its own military? Pay for its own education system? So that Alabama (random example) students have ample employment opportunity in the state of Alabama and nowhere else because it's among the last? Are you saying that Californians wouldn't mind leaving their state and driving on crap roads because Utah or Arizona has no money for their infrastructure.

A grand idea.
  9. 11 Apr '17 09:52
    Are you from Eastern Europe?
  10. 11 Apr '17 12:14 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Whodey Logic ®: "states' rights" when it concerns things the federal government does I don't like. Whine when states do things contrary to what the federal government wants when it concerns things I do like.
    No, that is Dim logic in California. I'm just wondering why laws only apply to conservatives.

But then I remembered, Dims have control of the courts. That's why Obama could impose travel restrictions from Muslim countries but Trump could not.
  11. Standard member checkbaiter
    By God's Grace
    11 Apr '17 12:56
    Liberalism depends for its survival on euphemisms. I believe that one reason liberals are such sticklers for politically-correct language is that if everyone went around speaking plainly and bluntly, nobody would ever vote for liberals. For instance, how much support would “common sense gun control” have if it were instead called by the more accurate term, “disarming only law-abiding citizens”? Who would vote for a “proudly pro-choice” politician if he instead had to say, “I support dismembering and killing babies in the womb”? Would terms like “safe space” and “trigger words” be so popular if they were called “stamping out free speech”? And what are the chances some of our liberal officials who make such impassioned speeches about their “sanctuary cities” would get reelected if they had to tell their constituents what they were really doing, in plain English?

Hey, why don’t I do it for them, and let’s find out?!

Thanks to President Trump’s order that refusals to cooperate with federal immigration authorities be made public, the latest report for just one week in early February shows that 65 criminal illegal immigrants who should have been turned over to ICE for deportation were instead turned loose in “sanctuary cities.” The leader in criminal releases was New York (14), followed by New Mexico (12) and California (11). Some of the crimes that earned them deportation orders: “assault, battery, sexual assault, robbery, DUI, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, domestic violence, weapons charges and the sale or possession of drugs.” And that’s what being a “sanctuary city” really means, Charlie Brown: that people who do that type of stuff and were in police custody under deportation court orders were deliberately released back onto the streets of your town to target you and your family.

Oh, one other liberal policy euphemism: they oppose Trump’s order to release this information, claiming it “stigmatizes immigrants.” That is much smarter politically than saying, “We oppose telling the public the truth about our insane criminal release policies.”

Sincerely,

Mike Huckabee
  12. 11 Apr '17 14:44
    Is Texas a sanctuary state? I wanna move to Texas, St Antonio preferably. Somewhere where its cracks in the road hot with spicy food. I am sick of the Frozen North.
  13. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    11 Apr '17 14:49
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Is Texas a sanctuary state? I wanna move to Texas, St Antonio preferably. Somewhere where its cracks in the road hot with spicy food. I am sick of the Frozen North.
    The place for you is Haiti. It's even hotter and the land is cheaper.
  14. 11 Apr '17 15:00 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    The place for you is Haiti. It's even hotter and the land is cheaper.
    Nah if I wanted hot and cheap I would move to the Punjab. The place for me is Texas. I don't need no city slicker like you tellin a Southern man like me where to live.
  15. Standard member HandyAndy
    Non sum qualis eram
    11 Apr '17 15:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Nah if I wanted hot and cheap I would move to the Punjab. The place for me is Texas. I don't need no city slicker like you tellin a Southern man like me where to live.
    They don't cotton to carpetbaggers in Texas. You'll be shot before you unpack your kilts.