Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 18 Sep '09 14:39 / 2 edits
    Can you offend the imaginary name over an avatar? I know I complained about a post a while ago but given that I and perhaps many other users of these forums don't have the courage of our convictions and post under fake names can we really be offended? Given that most of our identities are fake I find it hard to decide yes or no. Can you upset your imaginary friend?
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Sep '09 14:43
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Can you offend the imaginary name under an avatar? I know I complained about a post a while ago but given that I and perhaps many other users of these forums don't have the courage of our convictions and post under our own names can we really be offended? Given that most of our identities are fake I find it hard to decide yes or no. Can you upset your imaginary friend?
    When you attack a forum member, you are not attacking an imaginary person. You are attacking a real person using a pseudonym. We are not imaginary people. We are real people who have assumed identities. Incidentally, my handle is hardly anonymous. Anyone can find out my first and last names with maybe 3 minutes of easy digging.
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    18 Sep '09 14:45
    Can you offend the imaginary name over an avatar? I know I complained about a post a while ago but given that I and perhaps many other users of these forums don't have the courage of our convictions and post under fake names can we really be offended? Given that most of our identities are fake I find it hard to decide yes or no. Can you upset your imaginary friend?
    Right-wing American, trailer-trash, pro-lifers are there to be offended.
    That's their sole purpose for existing.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 Sep '09 14:46
    Originally posted by sh76
    my handle is hardly anonymous. Anyone can find out my first and last names with maybe 3 minutes of easy digging.
    I am posting this by moble phone from the bushes in your garden.
  5. 18 Sep '09 14:53
    Are you an imagianary person?
    Can you pass a Turing Test?
  6. 18 Sep '09 14:54
    When you attack a forum member, you are not attacking an imaginary person. You are attacking a real person using a pseudonym. We are not imaginary people. We are real people who have assumed identities. Incidentally, my handle is hardly anonymous. Anyone can find out my first and last names with maybe 3 minutes of easy digging.
    I'm not saying that I think attacking people is ok. I do think, however light hearted fun aimed a pseudonym, funny avatar photo or silly name should be treated as just that, light hearted fun.

A fake name implies a fake indentity, an identity that doesn't exist. I don't see how you can defend an imaginary entities sensitivities.
  7. 18 Sep '09 14:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Are you an imagianary person?
    Can you pass a Turing Test?
    Sorry I'm not familiar with a Turing Test. Can you tell me what it is? Thanks.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Sep '09 14:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am posting this by moble phone from the bushes in your garden.
    LOL

If I had a garden, I'd be worried.
  9. 18 Sep '09 15:07
    Sorry I'm not familiar with a Turing Test. Can you tell me what it is? Thanks.
    It's about Artificial Intelligence. If you can write a program that can respond to a text-based dialogue (like in this forum) so noone will know if it's a computer or an human at the other side. Then you have passed a Turing test.

A Virtual Person is not a human. Then it must be a result of Artificial Intelligence.

Are you a virtual person or are you a real person?

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test)
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 Sep '09 15:10
    Can you offend the imaginary name over an avatar?
    When I occasionally used an avatar depicting a bearded Middle Eastern man in a kind of fez thing, some people immediately made snide remarks about my perfect native speaker English - the only kind of English I ever use to post here. elfejesus was always the funniest, with sneering posts littered with references to dictionaries and my unfamiliarity with idioms and my inablility to indulge in word play. I got a good laugh out of that - although his intent was to condescend and offend - all thanks to an avatar. Others here fetish over the gender of certain posters. I think there's a whole LOAD of imaginary stuff swirling around our avatars, identities and pseudonyms.
  11. 18 Sep '09 15:11
    Theoretically I can say I'm real but as you have no way of proving it how do you know if I am?
  12. 18 Sep '09 15:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I occasionally used an avatar depicting a bearded Middle Eastern man in a kind of fez thing, some people immediately made snide remarks about my perfect native speaker English - the only kind of English I ever use to post here. elfejesus was always the funniest, with sneering posts littered with references to dictionaries and my unfamiliarity with idioms a ...[text shortened]... there's a whole LOAD of imaginary stuff swirling around our avatars, identities and pseudonyms.
    Couldn't agree more. I guess what I am really asking is should threads and posts be removed from the forums for having some harmless fun (Nothing defamatory or highly offensive) at the expense of something that doesn't exist?
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 Sep '09 15:14
    If I had a garden, I'd be worried.
    So whose fence is it, then, that you spend half your time sitting on?
  14. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    18 Sep '09 15:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    When I occasionally used an avatar depicting a bearded Middle Eastern man in a kind of fez thing, some people immediately made snide remarks about my perfect native speaker English - the only kind of English I ever use to post here. elfejesus was always the funniest, with sneering posts littered with references to dictionaries and my unfamiliarity with idioms a ...[text shortened]... there's a whole LOAD of imaginary stuff swirling around our avatars, identities and pseudonyms.
    I absolutely agree, as leader of the free-world, I had to insist to the secret service that I would not be giving up my Blackberry. Do I offend the good name and character of the presidential office by making off the cuff random remarks that may be construed so badly when I post on these fora? Well I surely hope so!
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 Sep '09 15:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    So whose fence is it, then, that you spend half your time sitting on?
    I use this one

http://bp2.blogger.com/_aaAybFoibeQ/Ro167gOBo-I/AAAAAAAAABk/aeDuvbXQsoA/s1600-h/Border+fence.JPG

And, believe me, those barbs do not make it easy.