Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 17 Dec '10 21:21
    If you were obliged to change your nationality, and could choose any country in the whole world, other than your own, of which to become a citizen, which would it be? And why?
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 Dec '10 21:44
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    If you were obliged to change your nationality, and could choose any country in the whole world, other than your own, of which to become a citizen, which would it be? And why?
    Spain maybe? Party culture, Mediterranean, ethnically diverse and fascinatingly so...
  3. 17 Dec '10 21:47
    Iceland
  4. 17 Dec '10 22:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Iceland
    You need to tell us why... Let me guess? Whitest ethnic makeup in the world?
  5. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    17 Dec '10 22:22
    From US to Australia. While it's only a matter of time, their mores appear to be similar to what was here 30-40 years ago, and they are somewhat culturally cohesive.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 Dec '10 22:27
    Ireland since all 4 of my grans are Irish. I was just out of the exclusion of being able to get Irish citizenship, the laws changed to where your mom or pop had to be from Ireland not your granma or granpa.
  7. 17 Dec '10 22:54
    You need to tell us why... Let me guess? Whitest ethnic makeup in the world?
    Maybe he's just a Bobby Fischer fan.
  8. 17 Dec '10 22:58
    I would settle for Denmark.
    They talk a language that might be learned. They have a attractive way of living.
    Yes, I would be happy to be a Dane.
  9. 17 Dec '10 23:06
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Maybe he's just a Bobby Fischer fan.
    Lol. I might have to nominate you to share the Buster Keaton Award with sh76 for that one.
  10. 17 Dec '10 23:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I would settle for Denmark.
    They talk a language that might be learned. They have a attractive way of living.
    Yes, I would be happy to be a Dane.
    Now come on, Fabian, surely it would take you years to learn to slur all your consonants until you were completely incomprehensible!

I'd settle for Sweden myself - having visited numerous times and generally finding myself on the wavelength with most people I've met. And the language is (as I'm sure you'd agree) much more attractive to listen to than Danish.
  11. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    18 Dec '10 01:23 / 1 edit
    NZ citizen working on a green card. (while working in Aus)

The why? Maobama was just a short bad dream.
  12. 18 Dec '10 01:26
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    From US to Australia. While it's only a matter of time, their mores appear to be similar to what was here 30-40 years ago, and they are somewhat culturally cohesive.
    I second that, only, I would throw NZ in the mix as well.
  13. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    18 Dec '10 03:41
    Originally posted by whodey
    I second that, only, I would throw NZ in the mix as well.
    Another slice of heaven, that.
  14. 18 Dec '10 09:25
    Now come on, Fabian, surely it would take you years to learn to slur all your consonants until you were completely incomprehensible!

I'd settle for Sweden myself - having visited numerous times and generally finding myself on the wavelength with most people I've met. And the language is (as I'm sure you'd agree) much more attractive to listen to than Danish.
    The grammar is (more or less) the same, the vokabulary is (more or less) the same, the pronounciation is rule-driven... I can probably learn to speak danish very quickly if I have to. Understanding spoken danish, well, can take some extra time.

No, I think I would be a Dane, if I have to. A big Dane. A Grand Dane. Eating Danish all the day.
  15. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    18 Dec '10 11:16
    Scotland. Smart people, good climate, great looking women!