Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 09 Oct '14 10:46
    Is anyone else terrified about this Ebola outbreak? I live in the US and 2 weeks ago they said it would never hit the US, well now it's here and they are still flying people in from West Africa. If we end flights from West Africa it would hurt there economy and ours, does that make any f-ing sence? Obama should be in prison for crimes against humanity!!
  2. Subscriber Ponderableonline
    chemist
    09 Oct '14 11:56
    I am not fearing Ebola more than other viruses.

    * In a global world absolute containment is impossible.
    * The US economy would hardly suffer from not flying to Wets africa. But West Africa would suffer if all flights would be canceled.
    * Obama is not in a position to close down Airports somewhere in the world. The notion is ridiculous.
    * What really is scandalous is that people are shuned from hospitals.
  3. 09 Oct '14 13:12
    If you are terrified about everything that has caused at least one casualty in the US, I really pity you.
  4. 09 Oct '14 18:09
    Originally posted by HairDog
    Is anyone else terrified about this Ebola outbreak?
    You should be more terrified about Enterovirus:
    http://time.chtah.net/a/hBUNSZ5BASRffB84oq1NsygK4x6/time6
  5. 09 Oct '14 23:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You should be more terrified about Enterovirus:
    http://time.chtah.net/a/hBUNSZ5BASRffB84oq1NsygK4x6/time6
    And that one can be directly attributed to Obama.
  6. 10 Oct '14 09:06 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by HairDog
    Is anyone else terrified about this Ebola outbreak? I live in the US and 2 weeks ago they said it would never hit the US, well now it's here and they are still flying people in from West Africa. If we end flights from West Africa it would hurt there economy and ours, does that make any f-ing sence? Obama should be in prison for crimes against humanity!!
    it is not an outbreak. it is just blown out of proportions by the media.

    last time i checked, 1 (one) death occurred in the US because of ebola, while the media was in full panic mode already.


    next time you hear about ebola in the news or on the internet, try to listen past the "OMG we found more ebola" dramatic headline. More often than not, you will hear how someone with ebola symptoms checked in the hospital and is suspected to have ebola. try to count how many actual cases of confirmed ebola have been.


    "Obama should be in prison for crimes against humanity!"
    hope you're joking. because this is a frightening level of stupid.
  7. 10 Oct '14 11:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You should be more terrified about Enterovirus:
    http://time.chtah.net/a/hBUNSZ5BASRffB84oq1NsygK4x6/time6
    LOL! How very pedagogical of you.

    - I'm terrified.
    - Here's something that should terrify you even more then.
  8. Subscriber Ponderableonline
    chemist
    10 Oct '14 11:57
    A good source of disease information is the cdc,

    not lethal but still intersting:

    http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cyclosporiasis/outbreaks/2014/index.html
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Oct '14 02:34
    Originally posted by HairDog
    Is anyone else terrified about this Ebola outbreak? I live in the US and 2 weeks ago they said it would never hit the US, well now it's here and they are still flying people in from West Africa. If we end flights from West Africa it would hurt there economy and ours, does that make any f-ing sence? Obama should be in prison for crimes against humanity!!
    You want all flights from west Africa stopped because of ebola?

    You probably like to kill fruit flies with a sledgehammer. Don't you?
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    12 Oct '14 06:06
    TB... that's far more frightening.
  11. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    12 Oct '14 06:32
    Originally posted by HairDog
    Is anyone else terrified about this Ebola outbreak?
    Yes. There are misinformed fools all over the place.



    PS. I hope you don't drive or own a firearm!
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Oct '14 16:54
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    TB... that's far more frightening.
    Influenza is pretty scary too.
  13. 12 Oct '14 18:15
    It looks like a person who was taking care of the guy in Dallas now has Ebola.

    I wonder if allowing this disease into the country will get people to rethink the idea of going into medicine.
  14. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Oct '14 18:16 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It looks like a person who was taking care of the guy in Dallas now has Ebola.

    I wonder if allowing this disease into the country will get people to rethink the idea of going into medicine.
    Or maybe it will encourage people to take on the challenge.

    Here's a good book about Ebola I read when I was taking Virology at UC Berkeley:

    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/130002/virus-hunter-by-cj-peters-and-mark-olshaker/
  15. 12 Oct '14 18:21
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Or maybe it will encourage people to take on the challenge.
    Perhaps some people are that stupid.

    Personally I'd like to see Obama and the other people who made the decision to be the ones to take up the challenge.