Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 15:05
    A very interesting 15 min. you tube flick on China. Unemployment is rising, jobs are leaving the country, and many are going from the cities back to the farm. As the Chinese economy implodes, who do they take down with them?

YouTube
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 15:07
    Originally posted by @mchill
    A very interesting 15 min. you tube flick on China. Unemployment is rising, jobs are leaving the country, and many are going from the cities back to the farm. As the Chinese economy implodes, who do they take down with them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t487ILVf87k
    I'm sure many Americans dream that China will not be a success so that "Pax" Americana will never end.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 15:251 edit
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    I'm sure many Americans dream that China will not be a success so that "Pax" Americana will never end.
    Nonsense.

The Chinese and US economies are interwoven. China is not a political threat to the US and its production oriented economy is tied to American consumption. There's a good reason China refuses to float its currency - a spike in the yuan and corresponding decrease in outsourcing to China would be catastrophic to China.

It's axiomatic that as China gets richer, its poorer neighbors will take over some of its low end production and sooner or later, they're going to have to adapt to being a mid-level economy rather than a low-end producer. The US has no reason to root for this transition to fail. The falling apart of the world's largest country could drag the world into economic turmoil.

Politically, China doesn't appear to have designs on conflicting with US interests except perhaps as regards North Korea and Taiwan.

People looking at the US and China a competitors for holder of world hegemony are obsessed with anachronistic analogies. It's not 1805 anymore and the world isn't about empire building and natural resource harvesting anymore.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 15:33
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Nonsense.

The Chinese and US economies are interwoven. China is not a political threat to the US and its production oriented economy is tied to American consumption. There's a good reason China refuses to float its currency - a spike in the yuan and corresponding decrease in outsourcing to China would be catastrophic to China.

It's axiomatic that as Chin ...[text shortened]... 1805 anymore and the world isn't about empire building and natural resource harvesting anymore.
    And you think that the average American shares your view that China is not a threat to their hegemony over the world? I doubt half of Americans have any sort of grasp of economics, or geography for that matter. If you were to ask the average American whether "interwoven economies" was much of a consolation for them no longer being the largest economy or most powerful country, I'm sure you would get slapped with the usual patriotism.
  5. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 16:41
    China has major demographic and environmental problems that may halt their growth. This is just a fact.
  6. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 16:42
    Nonsense.

It's axiomatic that as Chin ...[text shortened]... 1805 anymore and the world isn't about empire building and natural resource harvesting anymore.
    The USA is unlikely to allow Chinese regional hegemony.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 17:271 edit
    And you think that the average American shares your view that China is not a threat to their hegemony over the world? I doubt half of Americans have any sort of grasp of economics, or geography for that matter. If you were to ask the average American whether "interwoven economies" was much of a consolation for them no longer being the largest economy or most powerful country, I'm sure you would get slapped with the usual patriotism.
    Okay, fine. Let me rephrase.

The "dream" of your "many Americans" is nonsense.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 17:30
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    The USA is unlikely to allow Chinese regional hegemony.
    If it means forcibly invading and conquering Taiwan, you're right.

I don't think that's a big enough rock to cause the countries to to alter their intense economic ties.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 17:32
    China has major demographic and environmental problems that may halt their growth. This is just a fact.
    No country can sustain the sort of economic growth that China has experienced ad infinitum.
  10. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 17:39
    If it means forcibly invading and conquering Taiwan, you're right.

I don't think that's a big enough rock to cause the countries to to alter their intense economic ties.
    That’s exactly what they said before the World Wars.
  11. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 17:482 edits
    Okay, fine. Let me rephrase.

The "dream" of your "many Americans" is nonsense.
    Wow. Your profile literally says the following: "Proud to be an American. Thankful to be living in the era of Pax Americana."

It's almost too ironic to bear. If you say it, what about middle America?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 18:473 edits
    Wow. Your profile literally says the following: "Proud to be an American. Thankful to be living in the era of Pax Americana."

I'm being half-ironic in my profile. I don't really think, for example, that precision of one's right angles is the sole relevant trait in judging character.

I'm also not as convinced as you that so many Americans are as dim-witted as you apparently suppose, hence my use of quotation marks.

Edit: Regarding my profile, I'm not really all that jingoistic, but it ticks off Europeans. And in the end, isn't that what life is really about?
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 18:49
    That’s exactly what they said before the World Wars.
    And they've also said it many times before situations that did not escalate into world war.
  14. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Dec '17 18:52

I'm just guessing here, but I believe sh76 means by Thankful to be living in the era of Pax Americana." is something to the effect of he is thankful to be living in a large, powerful, nation with a decent standard of living, and a relatively fair legal system with which to raise his family. I doubt he was referring to income class.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Dec '17 03:42
    Originally posted by @mchill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t487ILVf87k
    Bubble alert!

Time for a war!