Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 12:25
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I don't know about 'soundly', it looks like Jones won by only about 20,000 votes, at least so far. It was close but a win is a win and there is one less assswipe in the senate now.
    Blacks were a higher percentage of the voters than they were in the Obama election; 96% voted for Jones.

18-30 year olds went almost 2-1 for a Democrat. In Alabama!

These results, if they signal a national trend, must send a chill down Republican spines.
  2. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 12:44
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    What you are missing is that Alabama is normally solidly and overwhelmingly Republican; Trump carried it by almost 30%, it hadn't elected a Democratic Senator in a quarter century and the last time there was an election for the seat the Democrats didn't even bother to field a candidate because it was considered hopeless (and that was 2014).

Under those circumstances a Democratic win by whatever margin is significant.
    Point taken. I just looked up 2014, when Sessions as incumbent, unapposed won with 97.25% (795,606 votes)of the votes cast, so I suppose with approx. 1.3 million votes cast in this 2017 ballot, Moore if he had inherited Sessions vote should have netted around (795,606/1,300,000) = 61.2% of the vote, which suggests a swing of at least around 12% to Jones which is a healthy margin. If as a safe red seat however Moore had not brought any baggage with him and this was a referendum on Trump then the swing against the GOP could be considered a massive 48%, which does not bode well for the GOP in 2018 at all!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 12:46
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Point taken. I just looked up 2014, when Sessions as incumbent, unapposed won with 97.25% (795,606 votes)of the votes cast, so I suppose with approx. 1.3 million votes cast in this 2017 ballot, Moore if he had inherited Sessions vote should have netted around (795,606/1,300,000) = 61.2% of the vote, which suggests a swing of at least around 12% to Jones whic ...[text shortened]... the GOP could be considered a massive 48%, which does not bode well for the GOP in 2018 at all!
    What is that song? Oh yeah. "Dancing in the streets''......
  4. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 12:58
    What is that song? Oh yeah. "Dancing in the streets''......
    It doesn't matter what you wear, just as long as you are there, Every guy grab a girl, everywhere, around the world, well be dancing....
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 16:171 edit
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    This slenderest of margin gives me pause not to get too excited or too back slaphappy about Jone's win. Maybe all US elections are this close. But as it stands a candidate wining by 1.5% is not a repudiation of the other side in my books. Maybe in America, where a turnout of 25-35% is normal, maybe you are not going to get big swings. Unless I'm missing some ...[text shortened]... is result says to me, is that it could easily have gone the other way. (Much like Clinton-Trump)
    Two major things played a part in this election. One being voters voting a certain way because of unproven accusations. 51% polled after voting said they believed the accusers. What if allegations are false? Is this going to be the new norm with democrats?

Democrats manipulated the black voters again. Remember when George Wallace manipulated them in to re-electing him? The cant see they are a resource to dems at election time then are forgotten soon after.
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 16:20
    I don't know about 'soundly', it looks like Jones won by only about 20,000 votes, at least so far. It was close but a win is a win and there is one less assswipe in the senate now.
    in Alabama, a democrat winning by 20 000 votes is a lot.
    in a civilized country, a pedophile losing by only 20 000 votes is shameful
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 16:40
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    in Alabama, a democrat winning by 20 000 votes is a lot.
    in a civilized country, a pedophile losing by only 20 000 votes is shameful
    In a civilized country people are not convicted without a trial!
  8. Stargazing
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 16:56
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Nearly 50% of Alabama voters would prefer a sexual predator over a democrat.

Pretty much sums up the state of affairs.
    America is like becoming more and more like the secure wing of a mental institution.
  9. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 17:22
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Roy Moore did not loose because he was a bad candidate. It was Russian collusion
    I see someone is still in denial.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 17:51
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Blacks were a higher percentage of the voters than they were in the Obama election; 96% voted for Jones.

18-30 year olds went almost 2-1 for a Democrat. In Alabama!

These results, if they signal a national trend, must send a chill down Republican spines.
    And yet, supposedly they can't bring themselves to vote for a woman?

This trend could have been followed back to 2016, had the blacks been allowed to vote then. Moore was obviously enough of a headache for the Republicans that they didn't bother firing up their machine for him this time.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 17:54
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    He was convicted by the court of the public. Good enough for me.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 17:55
    So, you equate 'losing an election' to being convicted?

Plenty of black people are convicted and executed on the streets by the police every year. I don't see you crying about that.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 17:59
    Two major things played a part in this election. One being voters voting a certain way because of unproven accusations. 51% polled after voting said they believed the accusers. What if allegations are false? Is this going to be the new norm with democrats?

Democrats manipulated the black voters again. Remember when George Wallace manipulated them ...[text shortened]... ng him? The cant see they are a resource to dems at election time then are forgotten soon after.
    Again, are you related to whodey and Eladar?

This is the same style of fact-twisting.

I'm guessing all three of you get your facts 'pre-twisted' by Fox News.
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 18:11
    yet public opinion can in fact make sure a pedophile doesn't get elected in a position of power even if he managed to escape the law.

we decided we don't want to see charlie rose and louis CK and O'Reilly on TV. we got them fired. we, the public opinion, not a court of law. they won't go to jail (even if Moore should) but it's still better than nothing. if you do something reprehensible, you lose your job at the very least.
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 19:39
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Again, are you related to whodey and Eladar?

This is the same style of fact-twisting.

I'm guessing all three of you get your facts 'pre-twisted' by Fox News.
    You didn't debate either of my points, just threw out an attack> WTF?