Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 23 Aug '14 13:33
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/catholic-couple-fined-13000-for-refusing-to-host-same-sex-wedding-at-their

    The bigot police are at it again. Apparently a couple owns a farm and allows people to get married on that farm. However, a gay couple was turned down because according to them, their religious beliefs are in conflict with the notion.

    Now they must pay $10,000.
  2. 23 Aug '14 15:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/catholic-couple-fined-13000-for-refusing-to-host-same-sex-wedding-at-their

    The bigot police are at it again. Apparently a couple owns a farm and allows people to get married on that farm. However, a gay couple was turned down because according to them, their religious beliefs are in conflict with the notion.

    Now they must pay $10,000.
    Just goes to show what happens when you redefine private property and a private business.

    Nothing that deals with the public at all can be private because it services the servants of the government. You can't do business in this country if the government doesn't allow you to do business. Therefore the government has the right to declare your private businesses public and all subjects must have access.

    The roots of Communism (everything is public) have firmly taken root in the US and now we are seeing this kind of crap that all true Americans know is absolutely evil.

    Of course all true Marxists and Statists will think it is actually good.
  3. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    23 Aug '14 16:43
    Catholics are supposed to obey the law.
  4. 23 Aug '14 16:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Catholics are supposed to obey the law.
    Americans are supposed to have the right to privacy. You shouldn't have to give up that right to simply make a buck and survive.

    But you are a Marxists at heart, so yeah I can see why you'd see it that way.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    23 Aug '14 17:00
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Americans are supposed to have the right to privacy. You shouldn't have to give up that right to simply make a buck and survive.

    But you are a Marxists at heart, so yeah I can see why you'd see it that way.
    Is that in the Constitution?
  6. 23 Aug '14 17:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Americans are supposed to have the right to privacy. You shouldn't have to give up that right to simply make a buck and survive.

    But you are a Marxists at heart, so yeah I can see why you'd see it that way.
    It's all about control. Those that see gay sex as an abomination or see it as dysfunctional will be made to see it as otherwise. If not, they will be made to act contrary to their beliefs.
  7. 23 Aug '14 17:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Is that in the Constitution?
    Does it matter?

    The only thing that matters is what judges say the Constitution means.

    In any case, if it isn't in the Constitution, then it is supposed to be a State matter.
  8. 23 Aug '14 17:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's all about control. Those that see gay sex as an abomination or see it as dysfunctional will be made to see it as otherwise. If not, they will be made to act contrary to their beliefs.
    Of course it is about control. This is why Statists and Marxists agree so much on this issue.
  9. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    23 Aug '14 17:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/catholic-couple-fined-13000-for-refusing-to-host-same-sex-wedding-at-their

    The bigot police are at it again. Apparently a couple owns a farm and allows people to get married on that farm. However, a gay couple was turned down because according to them, their religious beliefs are in conflict with the notion.

    Now they must pay $10,000.
    I would argue that it is the farmers that are the bigots in this case, not the police.
  10. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    23 Aug '14 17:15
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Of course it is about control. This is why Statists and Marxists agree so much on this issue.
    Wrong, it's not about control. It's about obeying the law.
  11. 23 Aug '14 17:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/catholic-couple-fined-13000-for-refusing-to-host-same-sex-wedding-at-their

    The bigot police are at it again. Apparently a couple owns a farm and allows people to get married on that farm. However, a gay couple was turned down because according to them, their religious beliefs are in conflict with the notion.

    Now they must pay $10,000.
    do you believe they should also have the right to refuse to marry black people should they wish?
  12. 23 Aug '14 17:39 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie to Whodey
    do you believe they should also have the right to refuse to marry black people should they wish?
    Every person should have the right to refuse to get married to any other person.

    I don't recall that any white Americans have expressed religious objections
    against *a black man and a black woman marrying each other* in general
    (with exceptions for bigamy, being too young, mental incompetence, etc.).

    But some white American Christians believe (based upon their interpretations)
    that the Bible forbids interracial marriages, particularly marriages between a
    white person and a non-white person.
  13. 23 Aug '14 17:48
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Every person should have the right to refuse to get married to any other person.

    I don't recall that any white Americans have expressed religious objections
    against *a black man and a black woman marrying each other* in general
    (with exceptions for bigamy, being too young, mental incompetence, etc.).

    But some white American Christians believe (base ...[text shortened]... ds interracial marriages, particularly marriages between a
    white person and a non-white person.
    i was referring to the couple who owned the farm. does whodey believe they should have the right to refuse black couples from using the farm to get married?
  14. 23 Aug '14 18:33
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Every person should have the right to refuse to get married to any other person.

    I don't recall that any white Americans have expressed religious objections
    against *a black man and a black woman marrying each other* in general
    (with exceptions for bigamy, being too young, mental incompetence, etc.).

    But some white American Christians believe (base ...[text shortened]... ds interracial marriages, particularly marriages between a
    white person and a non-white person.
    quote:

    Most slave-owners encouraged their slaves to marry. It was believed that married men was less likely to be rebellious or to run away. Some masters favoured marriage for religious reasons and it was in the interests of plantation owners for women to have children. Child-bearing started around the age of thirteen, and by twenty the women slaves would be expected to have four or five children. To encourage childbearing some plantation owners promised women slaves their freedom after they had produced fifteen children. Several slaves recorded in their autobiographies that they were reluctant to marry women from the same plantation.

    As John Anderson explained: "I did not want to marry a girl belonging to my own place, because I knew I could not bear to see her ill-treated." Moses Grandy agreed he wrote: "no colored man wishes to live at the house where his wife lives, for he has to endure the continual misery of seeing her flogged and abused without daring to say a word in her defence." As Henry Bibb pointed out: "If my wife must be exposed to the insults and licentious passions of wicked slave-drivers and overseers. Heaven forbid that I should be compelled to witness the sight."

    A study of slave records by the Freedmen's Bureau of 2,888 slave marriages in Mississippi (1,225), Tennessee (1,123) and Louisiana (540), revealed that over 32 per cent of marriages were dissolved by masters as a result of slaves being sold away from the family home.

    unquote

    http://spartacus-educational.com/USASmarriage.htm
  15. 23 Aug '14 18:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    quote:

    Most slave-owners encouraged their slaves to marry. It was believed that married men was less likely to be rebellious or to run away. Some masters favoured marriage for religious reasons and it was in the interests of plantation owners for women to have children. Child-bearing started around the age of thirteen, and by twenty the women slaves would b ...[text shortened]... sold away from the family home.

    unquote

    http://spartacus-educational.com/USASmarriage.htm
    Slave owners believed that their married male slaves would be less likely to
    run away and leave their wives and children behind. And it would be harder
    for these slave families together than for one adult slave to escape.