Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 Jan '11 19:19 / 2 edits
    This just in. Congresswoman Gabby Giffords has just been reported to have been shot and is now dead. Apparently a gunman ran up to her and at point blank range shot her in the head as well as shooting many more people at the scene. She was a Congresswoman from Arizona. May she rest in peace.

Does anyone have any info on who did it?
  2. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jan '11 19:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    This just in. Congresswoman Gabby Giffords has just been reported to have been shot and is now dead. Apparently a gunman ran up to her and at point blank range shot her in the head as well as shooting many more people at the scene. She was a Congresswoman from Arizona. May she rest in peace.

Does anyone have any info on who did it?
    It's unclear whether she has died; MSNBC said a surgeon at the scene says she was still alive. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/08/gabrielle-giffords-shot-c_n_806211.html

Giffords, a Democrat, had her office vandalized in March after voting for the health care reform. Her assailant was described as a young white male in his teens or early 20's.
  3. 08 Jan '11 20:02
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    It's unclear whether she has died; MSNBC said a surgeon at the scene says she was still alive. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/08/gabrielle-giffords-shot-c_n_806211.html

Giffords, a Democrat, had her office vandalized in March after voting for the health care reform. Her assailant was described as a young white male in his teens or early 20's.
    Ah yes, the rush to blame Tea Party members.

She was also a Blue dog who was a Jew and was very critical of Obama's immigration policies and also asked her fellow Congressmen to take a pay cut. The later should have been enough to sign her death warrant I suppose.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    08 Jan '11 20:49
    What?! A white male criminal? In Arizona?

Are you sure it wasn't a Messican?
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jan '11 20:54
    There's further information: Federal District Judge John Roll has been shot and killed at the same event. He had been subjected to threats just last year:

In February, when U.S. District Judge John Roll presided over a $32 million civil-rights lawsuit filed by illegal immigrants against an Arizona rancher, the Marshals Service was anticipating the fallout.

When Roll ruled the case could go forward, Gonzales said talk-radio shows cranked up the controversy and spurred audiences into making threats.

In one afternoon, Roll logged more than 200 phone calls. Callers threatened the judge and his family. They posted personal information about Roll online.

"They said, 'We should kill him. He should be dead,' " Gonzales said.

Roll, who is the chief federal judge in Arizona, said both he and his wife were given a protection detail for about a month.

"It was unnerving and invasive. . . . By its nature it has to be," Roll said, adding that they were encouraged to live their lives as normally as possible. "It was handled very professionally by the Marshals Service."

At the end of the month, Roll said four key men had been identified as threat makers.

The Marshals Service left to him the decision to press charges but recommended against it. Roll said he had no qualms about following their advice.

The recommendation was based on the intent of those making the threats.

"I have a very strong belief that there is nothing wrong with criticizing a judicial decision," he said. "But when it comes to threats, that is an entirely different matter."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/2009/07/09/20090709threats0709.html

Update from our friends at FoxNews: Suspect in custody is a 22 year old white male.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jan '11 22:16
    “In conclusion, reading the second United States Constitution, I can’t trust the current government because of the ratifications: the government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar,"

“No! I won’t pay debt with a currency that’s not backed by gold and silver! No! I won’t trust in God!”

From YouTube postings by Jared Lee Loughner, the suspect in the shootings. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/08/jared-lee-loughner-gabrielle-giffords-shooter_n_806243.html
  7. 08 Jan '11 22:42
    His myspace page listed the communist manifesto as one of his favorite books.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jan '11 23:42
    Originally posted by tmetzler
    His myspace page listed the communist manifesto as one of his favorite books.
    Along with Mein Kampf. But nice cherry picking.
  9. 08 Jan '11 23:49
    Along with Mein Kampf. But nice cherry picking.
    Exactly, another left wing ideology.

Other books on his list:
    Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jan '11 23:58

Other books on his list:
    Animal Farm, Brave New World, The Wizard Of OZ, Aesop Fables, The Odyssey, Alice Adventures Into Wonderland, Fahrenheit 451, Peter Pan, To Kill A Mockingbird, We The Living, Phantom Toll Booth, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Pulp,Through The Looking Glass, The Communist Manifesto, Siddhartha, The Old Man And The Sea, Gulliver's Travels, Mein Kampf, The Republic, and Meno.
    LMAO! Nazism is far from left-wing though present right wingers like to claim such nonsense. It was speedily embraced by the conservative elements in Germany (military, Big Business, aristocracy) and bitterly opposed by left wing elements (communists, social democrats, unions). Plus it very quickly allied with right wing regimes like Franco's in Spain. But please keep re-writing history; that seems to be a right wing past time.

All available evidence so far seem to indicate that Mr. Loughner is one of yours.
  11. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jan '11 23:59

Other books on his list:
    He's certainly a well read nut.
  12. 09 Jan '11 00:10
    LMAO! Nazism is far from left-wing though present right wingers like to claim such nonsense. All available evidence so far seem to indicate that Mr. Loughner is one of yours.
    Not my version of right wing.

And according to people that knew him, he was one of yours:
    http://twitter.com/caitieparker

Either way, I think politics has less to do with it and most likely he was an equal opportunity nutter.
  13. 09 Jan '11 00:18 / 1 edit
    Not my version of right wing.

And according to people that knew him, he was one of yours:
    http://twitter.com/caitieparker

Either way, I think politics has less to do with it and most likely he was an equal opportunity nutter.
    From the twitter account you linked: I haven't seen him since 07'. Really up to date information. As to the books, he might be the sort of person who just puts up everything he reads. The list is too diverse for him to agree with all of them. (Communist & Nazi ? Mein Kampf (Master race) & To kill a mocking bird (anti-racism)

So, for those who want to put him on either side of the political spectrum, look at his recent actions and writings.

Edit: As to 'not my version of right wing', just because you don't agree with a specific right wing idea doesn't make it a left wing idea. Trying to rebrand Nazism as a left-wing idea is laughable and pathetic. There are evil extremes on both ends of the spectrum, but that seems hard to accept for some, much easier to pretend all evil is from the other side.
  14. 09 Jan '11 00:36 / 1 edit
    I was listening to one dude state that he feels it was an event simply waiting to happen, congressmen's homes having been targeted, the present economic climate, the resentment at government intervention in persons affairs. I wonder if he really thought that he was being patriotic, in a kind of warped Timothy McVeigh type of way. Who knows, America is a crazy place.
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Jan '11 00:54 / 1 edit
    [They're] taking down the ZOG machine
    Jew by Jew by Jew!
    The White man marches on...

Johnny Rebel, The Tramplin' at the Zoo (paraphrased slightly)